HybridZ

wiring issues help

82 turbo z

ok so i've been taking the car apart trying to figure out why the dash lights speedo, tach, and gauge lights dont come on as well as my blinkers stopped working and no reverse lights even after replacing them. There was an aftermarket deck installed and the guy was an idiot and left a lot of exposed wires but idk if that was the issue for everything. I've been coming across a lot of unpluged and cliped wires that i have no idea what they are for or where they go so i took pictures of most of the wires in there locations so hopefully some people will chime in and know where these things go so i can get these wired back up piece by piece. i also dont have a fuse box cover and the haynes manual tells me the fuses i need but i have no idea which fuse is for what and the guy put bigger fusses in which i'm sure isnt good so help on that would be awesome too. Thanks so much this is my first Z and i just picked it up this month so im totally new.

End of the grey or white wire that goes into the firewall. have no idea what its for

DSC03886.jpg

several female and male circle plugs by the coil. What goes where???

DSC03885.jpg

Grey or white wire going into the firewall, the other end is on the driver side of the car cut. what is this for?

DSC03884.jpg

Circle male wire from a/c compressor close to the yellow female circle connector. Do those go together?

DSC03883.jpg

yellow female circle plug close to the a/c compressor male circle plug. do those go together?

DSC03882.jpg

This is under the dash driver side and have no idea what its for

DSC03881.jpg

This was coming from computer area. any idea?

DSC03880.jpg

lots of duct tape. This guy left a lot of exposed stuff and shitty connections. The radio also doesnt keep memory for some reason

DSC03879.jpg

The guys attempt to wire in aftermarket radio. a lot of exposed wires and duct tape wtf

DSC03878.jpg

Wires i found behind the radio. Stock speaker wires or radio wires? Not sure what else

DSC03877.jpg

Missing vacuum hose from EGR Valve and dont know where it goes

DSC03869.jpg

missing vacuum hose from AAC valve and have no idea where it needs to go

DSC03868.jpg

Unplugged by brake fluid container, didnt find another plug for it.

DSC03867.jpg

DSC03866.jpg

missing a vacuum hose from the charcoal canister. have no idea where it needs to go

DSC03865.jpg

Not sure if i plugged the right wire in or not but theres one male circle plug and 2 female circle plugs here by the engine compartment light

DSC03864.jpg

T adapter for vacuum hoses

DSC03863.jpg

vacuum hose from a/c vacuum tank

DSC03862.jpg

Vacuum Hose from the ASCD servo valve and t adapter with hose missing but the vacuum hose from the a/c vacuum tank isnt plugged in either so idk what goes in that t adapter b/c a different vacuum hose from the a/c vacuum tank is already plugged into the T

DSC03861.jpg

2 wires by battery. Not sure where they lead to. Circle female plugs. Green and Green/Yellow

DSC03860.jpg

These were behind the radio. Is this for the stock radio or am i missing something?

DSC03876.jpg

This yellow/black wire was cut so i crimped them back together. dont know what its for or what it did.

DSC03875.jpg

solid yellow wire that someone cut and put a smaller yellow wire to connect to the other bigger yellow wire. Not sure if thats a problem but maybe the connection is bad where he put them together.

DSC03874.jpg

A T plug that has no home and 2 cliped wires that i have no idea go to. maybe the light for the floor board?

DSC03873.jpg

Comes out from under the center console and goes to the other side. I tried looking for a plug for this under the dash but so far no luck

DSC03872.jpg

3 blue/white wires together? not sure if its supposed to be 3 here since its on the harness inside on the passenger side leading to the back of the car

DSC03871.jpg

fuse box with no cover. Really not sure which fuse is for what and im pretty sure theres not supposed to be any 30 or 7.5 amp fuses by what the haynes manual is saying.

DSC03870.jpg

This is where you start: First, clean all the wires with "carb and choke" cleaner on a rag. Clean everything! Next, unplug the battery and don't touch it till your done... Next, take the tape off of all the connections and remove the stereo, junker. Look at each individual cut wire and figure out where the other end is and solder them back together while using shrink wrap to cover the exposed wire that you just soldered. When every cut wire looks like it is together with its other half, place the battery wire back on. Try out your lights, and all the other stuff that didn't work. Then go from there. I would highly recommend a wire schematic for your year vehicle. Then trace all the wires to see were they go. Even the unplugged ones in the engine bay.

Been there, done that.

Wow - that IS a rat's nest, so sorry.

I'd recommened removing the battery before doing the carb cleaner thing, just in case you cause a short to a live wire....could flame up.

For the FSM and tons of other good resources, check out this site:

http://xenons130.com/

Good luck - hope you sort it out!

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't done it yet, I highly recommend downloading the factory service manual from xenon's site as linked to in Philbertz's reply.

The Haynes and Chiltons manuals are ok but the FSM for your specific year is a must have for sorting out the kind of problems your dealing with.

To start I'd get the right amp fuses in the right places before your problems get bigger.

A 30 amp fuse wont keep a 10 amp circut with a bad connection from burning up.

Keep in mind to that it's not uncommon for the original harness to have some unused connections for features your car did not come with like the headlight washer system or automatic climate controls for example.

yea well i found out this car was not a turbo car. It was an N/A car that has a swapped turbo motor in it. P90a head legit turbo motor so not just a turbo kit. so that could explain even more unplugged and cut ****. but im wondering if the reverse back up switch is out and thats why the reverse lights dont turn on b/c i fixed most of my issues so far but still have no reverse lights and no gauge or dash lights. i picked up a dash with complete uncut harness and the middle gauges for 20 bucks just incase the guy who owned it before me chopped some wires back there for the alarm and thats why the dash lights dont turn on so ill have to figure out how to take the dash off and try that too. and i need to figure out how to wire the dome light back up to the doors b/c that doesnt turn on when the doors open which is annoying to me at night lol.

If you haven't done it yet, I highly recommend downloading the factory service manual from xenon's site as linked to in Philbertz's reply.

The Haynes and Chiltons manuals are ok but the FSM for your specific year is a must have for sorting out the kind of problems your dealing with.

To start I'd get the right amp fuses in the right places before your problems get bigger.

A 30 amp fuse wont keep a 10 amp circut with a bad connection from burning up.

Keep in mind to that it's not uncommon for the original harness to have some unused connections for features your car did not come with like the headlight washer system or automatic climate controls for example.

yea i was looking around for a fuse box cover and ended up just pulling fuses to see which was which to start out my search and found the N/A fuse box cover was a perfect match so i replaced all the fuses with the right ones and that fixed some of my problems. deff fixed my blinkers! still no dash lights or reverse lights :/