HybridZ

best year for a q45 donor car?

Owen C.

If I were to buy a complete car to use as a donor, is there a year range that would be best? I can pick up a complete, running 90's q45 here in AZ for about 1k with high miles. I thought this would be a wise way to go rather than picking up a jdm motor for around 2x That price. Please don't rag on me for not using the search feature on the website. It doesn't work well sense I'm browsing on me cell phone.

• Administrators

NiCO forums has extensive info regarding the Q45 and VH45DE and what years have what options etc.

I'll toss you a bone and answer your question, but only this once. On this forum, per our rules and guidelines, (rule #2), cel phone or not, members are expected to utilize the search function! B)

'90-'96 Q came the 4.5L VH45DE. VVT was deleted on the '96 model and was also OBD-II. Contrary to intenrt myth, the VVT delete did NOT affect the peak HP of that engine. That is a bunch of speculation from those who "think" VVT only affected the upper RPM range and have no data to support their claim. my completely bone stock 150,000 mile '96 Q45 with an old dirty stock air filter put down over 240 HP to the wheels at Torque Freaks through the auto trans, as much to the wheels as some of those false claims state the engine made at the crank! What deleting the VVT did affect was the lower RPM torque. The 96 was just tad bit less torquey below 4000 RPM, barely noticeable seat of the pants, but it was there and could be felt in back to back driving comparison. '90-'95, torque was flat. '96, at 4000 rpm it come on hard and runs the same torque/power curve from there up to redline as the '90-'95.

'97- up to I think it '01 or '02, was the 4.1L VH41DE, VVT was brought back. Stock, the 4.1 was down a little on power compared the 4.5L. Really boils down to if want 4.5L or 4.1L or going to be build some hybrid VH monster as discussed on NiCO.

Hope that helps.

That helps tremendously. Thank-you wise one for taking pity on me =P Now I just need to figure how much it will cost to rebuild one of these beasts. Every one I've found is 160k miles +, but that will have to wait till I have access to a computer with internet access. Living out in the middle of nowhere suck the balls.

From what i've gathered it seems 1990-1995 are the optimum years. Like BRAAP said the 96 did lose VVT and although it isnt a big difference, most people still perfer the earlier years. To narrow it down further I think the 1990-1991s are the ones most people go for, I believe it has something to do with a better flowing intake manifold. As far as rebuilding one, i'd do a compression test first, if compression is still within spec then just change the gaskets/fluids/hoses and leave the bottom end/heads alone. No reason to put money into something if it dosnt need it.

Any VH45DE donor will be fine though, make sure you get Nistune to go along with it ;).

Edited by RedBeauty84ZX

• 4 months later...

Braap,

I have a 300ZX Z31 and just bought a 150K mile good running VH45DE Engine, '93 I believe. Thanks for the tip on the NiCO forums having extensive info regarding the Q45 and VH45DE and what years have what options etc. Has anyone come up with a bell housing to bolt to the VH45DE that will bolt to a 5 speed Nissan transmission? Are the exhaust headers custom made, I see where Zmech custom made his. Pass on any info on Nistune, any link would be appreciated

'90-'96 Q came the 4.5L VH45DE. VVT was deleted on the '96 model and was also OBD-II. Contrary to internet myth, the VVT delete did NOT affect the peak HP of that engine. That is a bunch of speculation from those who "think" VVT only affected the upper RPM range and have no data to support their claim. my completely bone stock 150,000 mile '96 Q45 with an old dirty stock air filter put down over 240 HP to the wheels at Torque Freaks through the auto trans, as much to the wheels as some of those false claims state the engine made at the crank! What deleting the VVT did affect was the lower RPM torque. The 96 was just tad bit less torquey below 4000 RPM, barely noticeable seat of the pants, but it was there and could be felt in back to back driving comparison. '90-'95, torque was flat. '96, at 4000 rpm it come on hard and runs the same torque/power curve from there up to redline as the '90-'95.

'97- up to I think it '01 or '02, was the 4.1L VH41DE, VVT was brought back. Stock, the 4.1 was down a little on power compared the 4.5L. Really boils down to if want 4.5L or 4.1L or going to be build some hybrid VH monster as discussed on NiCO. Thanks again, Pdfflyer

• 1 month later...

I purchased a 95 Q45 for $1200. It is a one owner with 158k on it. BTW they all have LSD R200 diffs! There is a guy on Nico that can upgrade the ecu to get you to 340hp. I'm going to use the bell housing off the AT, machine the end off and weld on an adaptor plate to fit a T5 trans. They also offer a trans adaptor plate for the 300zx trans but I think the shifter will be to far back for the 240z. Soon I will have a dependable daily driver that will outrun anything around and have AC! BTW that guy on Nico only does '90-'93 ecu's.

Edited by theramz

• 1 month later...

If you go with the 4.5l, go with the later model ones, 94-96, they have a better flowing head with a single port per cylinder compared to the early ones which have the twin ports per head like the japaense ca18. trust, I know, I am the one stuck with a twin port head (I still cant get over it!!!!)

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a 2002 Q45 with the VK45DE in it for a swap into my 86 300ZX.

Anyone know of any issues using this engine?

I think i have most of the issues worked out, but have come across one small thing that caught me off guard.

I was planning on using the stock ECU but found that this Q came with a chip key fob, this seems to not let the car start unless it is near the ignition (tested with just the key in the ignition and fob in the center console). Now i haven't had time to explore this much yet, but does anyone have any info they could share on this? Is this something that can be worked around the the ECU? is it even linked to the ECU?

Thanks all, and I'll share pics as i go along..

Get the factory service manual for Q45 that you bought. That will explain a lot about the workings of the ECU and other components you will need. Also read the threads on the 350Z, VQ35 swaps in V6 sections all. While the components won't interchange their functions are same. Read up on how the body control module works.