HybridZ

seattlejester's 1971 240Z

I see ones from BC once in a while, but I've only seen 2 with washington plates, not sure how they were able to pull that off, as one was not an R33.

I'm in agreement with the wagon thing, I think the wrx wagon with sedan fenders looks excellent, not sure about the stagea, if it has the same width as a gt-r that could potentially look awesome.

But an R32 GTR is still going to be the first car I purchase on my own that runs (<- key word there haha), and with the ban up by the time I can afford one, I'll have my pic from all over japan!

I see ones from BC once in a while, but I've only seen 2 with washington plates, not sure how they were able to pull that off, as one was not an R33.

I'm in agreement with the wagon thing, I think the wrx wagon with sedan fenders looks excellent, not sure about the stagea, if it has the same width as a gt-r that could potentially look awesome.

But an R32 GTR is still going to be the first car I purchase on my own that runs (<- key word there haha), and with the ban up by the time I can afford one, I'll have my pic from all over japan!

What I've heard you do is this... insure them as a show car (IE you can only put limited miles on them) and then you get it licensed as a collector car or something like that.

I've heard something similar, but the downside is that an import/customs officer can take the vehicle for being improperly certified with no reimbursement. Won't be an issue if they reduce the 25 year ban, or the 25 years are up. I'm still a student <-read broke, so I'll wait the few years :).

Managed to brake the what is hopefully my last bolts while removing the wiper assembly. Have to try and extract that :angry: . Friend stopped by and helped me fit the fuel box so I can cut out the template to seal up the larger gap, 3 spots left to grind, and 1 hole left to plug before I can finish up with the primer/paint. Updates soon!

Hopefully when the ban lifts in 3 years, I'll be able to import my very own R32 skyline!

There is no ban on them being imported. The problem is that Motorex only did the crash testing on the R33, then lied about it being viable data for the R32 and R34. This falsification is one of the many things that got them in trouble with the feds. Also, the test data is not public domain, and so therefore, would need to be done again for anyone to possibly import ANY Skylines that aren't over 25 years old.

What I've heard you do is this... insure them as a show car (IE you can only put limited miles on them) and then you get it licensed as a collector car or something like that.

Don't do this. There are a few stories (can find the news articles on NICO Club if you search) of people doing this and having their cars seized and crushed as a result. They are highly aware of people doing this.

OmakZ: Hah, you'd have to retract a broken bolt first, but I think wipers might be necessary around these parts :). Is your car over here? I'd really like to check out the fitment of the konig's in person if you have time.

Classes have rolled around again, I think I'll be manipulating my schedule to give me a few days off to work at my jobs/car. Almost made a very irrational decision to purchase some watanbe's instead of much more essential parts, but found out the owner had mistaken them as they were konig's so back on track.

Next items to purchase:

Weather Stripping Kit (seems like I should go for a MSA kit as the black dragon auto has bad reviews?)

Xenon Urethane Front Chin Spoiler (will wait until on sale)

Rear spindle pins? (still on the fence as to if I should remove them or not :()

Next services to investigate:

Windshield and corner window installer (I'd hate to have them leak)

Next items to install:

Suspension, new bushings, sway bars, wheels

Brakes and fuel lines

All strut/roll/harness bars

Next items to research:

Sound deadening

Carpet

Weather mats

Modifying interior panels to fit harness bar/strut bar

Electrical wiring (New fuse box, lots of connectors and wires? Or modify old wiring)

Engine rebuild parts for my frankenstein engine

You know, I'd be okay with a broken bolt. ;) She's not out here yet, partly because wipers are kind of necessary in these parts. I'll let you know when she makes it.

As far as weather stripping is concerned, I grabbed some off an early 90's Trans AM for $5 a door at Lynnwood P&P. I had to cut it to make the corner fit but the seal is really nice. $10 in seals + $10 in silicon caulk and the doors are great.

I was planning on pulling my spindle pins but I called the guy from U.P. Garage (formerly "Fairlady Z") and he said he has "lots of experience NOT removing them." Z Sport in Everett wanted quite a bit when I called them so I figured I'd just leave them in. Just my $.02

Haha, should have seen that response coming, looking forward to seeing another Z :).

I've heard that most aftermarket truck places have a huge press that makes our spindle pin look like a joke so that's my end solution, going to try the 20 ton press I have access to if my little 12 ton doesn't do the job, still really considering not messing with it on this suspension set. Planning on purchasing another set to section and coilover, but that's in the future so maybe leave it alone till then.

Well my car needs pretty much all of the weather stripping so a kit is still up there, there's one partial on craigs list that I'm considering, but it doesn't have the super expensive doors or windshield :( .

I'm gonna make a run up to the junk yard sometime soon for a honda wiper motor and some weather stripping, I'll keep an eye out for the wiper arm assembly for ya.

Progress:

Finished sealing the floor and engine bay, started by using a flux brush, but ended up using a gloved finger, turned out much better than a brush, went through probably 20 pairs of gloves, only took 1 tube of seam sealer, still have 2 tubes left >.<. Seam sealed the bottom of the car and the rocker, definitely looks like the rocker was replaced at some point has specs of gold which I'm guessing is copper or brass brazing? Will probably have to be replaced eventually, let's shoot for 5 years from now :).

Plugged some holes, I have the rear strut bar to make, the horizontal bar for the front strut brace, and the gap lid left to weld.

Engine bay just needs clear coat before I start putting stuff back.

Interior hasn't been touched as I wanted to take care of any potential floor welding before, so interior is next.

Exterior, putting the car back to black before squirting on the white, body filler was grey/red/yellow/white; couldn't figure out how to take off the trim pieces, so just taped them off for now.

Mini projects:

Found some matte clear, so thought I'd compare white paint with matte clear, versus satin paint with gloss clear, vs satin paint with matte clear on the roll bar/strut bars.

Tempted to order fender mirrors and the front chin to give my car it's face it's been missing for so long.

Still have a few dents in the door and fender to deal with, the fender is off of one of the models that had the chrome stripe, so the pin holes need to be welded shut.

Questions:

What are the holes on the bottom of the rocker used for? I can only imagine it was used to drain water or solvent when the car was made at the factory, is it safe to plug the holes up?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, car is sitting in it's home at the bottom of a hill and my little fwd couldn't even make it out of the driveway to get there (took an hour to get out of my driveway today). Hopefully none of the melting ice will make its way in and ruin all my progress, hope to have an update tomorrow.

Despite spending a bunch on food, still managed to save enough for either wheels, or weather strip and front chin, decisions decisions :lol: .

For those who are picture deprived...

04a59cfb.jpg

Edited by seattlejester

Update :D.

Probably should have waited for another hand, ended up scratching the fresh paint, but nothing a new coat won't fix.

Put the hood on to check for clearance. If anyone has a Z I can check out, I need to see how the hood closes, not sure where it rubs.

b77a18e6.jpg

Then voila, hopefully everything clears, haha.

fd14bef3.jpg

Then decided to just tack in the rear strut bar, don't think it will ever need to come out.

34873c7e.jpg

Edit:

Twas a nice day, so I decided I'd paint all the bars going into my car.

6bd0027f.jpg

There was a slight cross wind, so I had to get closer to compensate, ended up running a lot more than I wanted to, I'll have to setup a paint booth inside to avoid that. Had my first run in with reactive paint, the primer reacted to something on the roll bar and bubbled off quite a bit of it, will need to sand and repaint that portion. Blah blah, more work more work.

Edited by seattlejester

• 4 weeks later...

TheMission: Yea, I think I'm just not cut out for paint, at least without a dedicated area with controlled air flow and dedicated equipment. Your cars always look great, now I know your secret :P .

Basically I think there was too much acetone in my paint, so the parts I sanded down to get level, would leave an edge, letting the acetone pick up the edge.

Trying to get that off, led to sanding, which left deep scratches, blah blah blah.

Basically wanted one even coat to put on the car before I cleared it for the meantime. Don't ask me why this came to mind, but decided a roller would be a good idea. Figured if I could get enough paint on the car, I could sand it smooth. Left a bumpy finish that I wasn't happy with.

e825a7be.jpg

5819ba09.jpg

but just stopped by and looks like gravity took it's toll and everything is flattening down.

Since the car was drying I decided to work on the suspension a bit.

d71283b8.jpg

Had a little trouble separating the hub from the brake rotor. And couldn't figure out how to get the bearings out, so called it a night. Will look up and hopefully tackle it sometime next week. 2 more weeks of school!

And had a question for ya'll. The strut cartridge is held in place by a huge nut, the problem is that mine isn't hexagonal like I've seen on other cars, it's actually a circle with 4 square indents. Anyone know the proper tool to use?

Edited by seattlejester