HybridZ

Very loud shrieking noise

Ok I searched for the following terms with no luck whatsoever "shrieking noise" "screaming noise" "really loud noise"

My 79 280zx, which I just recently got back on the road is once again out of commission. Died on me 3 miles from home and wouldn't start back up, so my buddy pulls me home and I let the car sit overnight. The next day I go out and she starts right up, a little white smoke out the back, common for this particular s130, goes away after warming up. I let her warm up for 10 or 15 minutes and then rev her a couple times to see if she'll die again and this ungodly loud shriek comes from the engine. At first I figure it's the belt but notice with my head under the hood that it sounds like it's coming from under the valve cover or in that vicinity. There is no uneven wear on the belt and everything seems fine on the exterior.

I am afraid to start pulling things apart but will probably have to. Does anyone have any idea what has happened?

Thanks HBZ

Chuck

Very very high pitched, I thought it was the belt slipping at first but checked belt tension and that was fine, no uneven wear on belt. Ummm have no idea about the bearings, I pray thats not it........

It sounds like my 3 year old daughter when she gets mad and screams at me.......yes that bad.