HybridZ

LS/T56/240z Project Mentor Wanted

Biggest obstacles to ECTA is the rulebook and tech inspection.  They are serious about their safety.  No one escapes without some discrepancy to correct.  It was a pin hole in my firewall and an additional pad on the doorbar that they gigged me for in June.  Same car flew thru tech in May.

Thanks, Cary! Yes, lotta air down there. That's an old picture-big airdam since then. I'd like to get the car down lower, but there's lots of clearance issues with this car. To run the tall rear tires (for gearing), I can't let it down too low since track is pretty bumpy. I'm gonna have to let the airdam do most of the air limiting under the car, but I will bring the car down a bit in the coming year. Remember, this is my street/autocross/dragrace/trackday/landpseed car, so there's a limit of how much I want to chop it up. Gotta stiffen suspension a lot to make that feasible-the airdam is so far out in front of the front tires that it hit the ground (started at 3" off the concrete at static ride height) on speed runs. I got a rear spoiler like MiKelly's to try next year. Gonna sacrifice my rear decklid and drill it full of holes for mounting several different rear spoilers. Wish I felt like paying for a trip to A2 Windtunnel. Maybe someday.  That' my skinny-ass big brother beside me in the ball cap.  He drove in 10 hours from Pennsylvania, and I had a team of 4 come up 8 hours with me from Alabama.  It was a great weekend.  We hit my mph goal of approaching 175mph, then we worked hard on trying to get the car to handle better, but we really never made any progress with the handling.  But we had a ball wrenching and problem "solving."  Very tired when we turned toward home.  Hoping to be involved in the Ohio Mile for the rest of my life.  If I ever get this garage/shop finished up, there may be another chassis in my future.  If so, that one will be purpose-built for going straight with forced induction.  Then this car will get set back up for track days only.  Curves are great, but nothing beats the thrill of pure acceleration.  You really don't get to enjoy listening and feeling your engine work until you get into the higher gears and the action slows down...feeling the cam climbing thru the Rs, doing its thing straight thru to your spine-nothing like it.  In a short race, its all frantic, asses and elbows, trying to do the right thing as a driver.  In landspeed, you really get to enjoy the car and all the work you did to get it put together.  Everything has to work together: safety tech, power, suspension, aero.  So much fun!

post-5903-0-08622400-1446848574_thumb.jpeg

post-5903-0-70588200-1446848606_thumb.jpeg

post-5903-0-46951800-1446848627_thumb.jpeg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Thanks, Cary! Yes, lotta air down there. That's an old picture-big airdam since then. I'd like to get the car down lower, but there's lots of clearance issues with this car. To run the tall rear tires (for gearing), I can't let it down too low since track is pretty bumpy. I'm gonna have to let the airdam do most of the air limiting under the car, but I will bring the car down a bit in the coming year. Remember, this is my street/autocross/dragrace/trackday/landpseed car, so there's a limit of how much I want to chop it up. Gotta stiffen suspension a lot to make that feasible-the airdam is so far out in front of the front tires that it hit the ground (started at 3" off the concrete at static ride height) on speed runs. I got a rear spoiler like MiKelly's to try next year. Gonna sacrifice my rear decklid and drill it full of holes for mounting several different rear spoilers. Wish I felt like paying for a trip to A2 Windtunnel. Maybe someday.  That' my skinny-ass big brother beside me in the ball cap.  He drove in 10 hours from Pennsylvania, and I had a team of 4 come up 8 hours with me from Alabama.  It was a great weekend.  We hit my mph goal of approaching 175mph, then we worked hard on trying to get the car to handle better, but we really never made any progress with the handling.  But we had a ball wrenching and problem "solving."  Very tired when we turned toward home.  Hoping to be involved in the Ohio Mile for the rest of my life.  If I ever get this garage/shop finished up, there may be another chassis in my future.  If so, that one will be purpose-built for going straight with forced induction.  Then this car will get set back up for track days only.  Curves are great, but nothing beats the thrill of pure acceleration.  You really don't get to enjoy listening and feeling your engine work until you get into the higher gears and the action slows down...feeling the cam climbing thru the Rs, doing its thing straight thru to your spine-nothing like it.  In a short race, its all frantic, asses and elbows, trying to do the right thing as a driver.  In landspeed, you really get to enjoy the car and all the work you did to get it put together.  Everything has to work together: safety tech, power, suspension, aero.  So much fun!

A few thoughts.  You could make some nifty rocker extensions like the front splitter to lower the car and keep air from rolling under the sides.  You could even turn that into a nice flat bottom too.  We need to have a discussion about bump stops/springs and packers.  You can keep your softer ride for the street and have 500+ springs that can be engaged by pushing in some plastic packers on the shock shaft.  This keeps the car off the ground and when the event is over you remove them and gave softer springs back.  Think valve spring on the shock shaft that you can turn on or off.

It's really great watching someone so passionate about their Z.  You are definitely a true HybridZ person.

Cary

I'm a hybridZ addict! The LS2 is the heart of this car. I just love that motor. Crazy that it is bone stock. I think that's a lot of the fun. I haven't worked on the engine-at all! In the years ahead, that may change, but if it does, this motor comes out and goes on a stand. Then maybe something more exotic, but probably less reliable. Texas300 just broke his supercharged LS2 and I think that was just with a 1.9 liter Maggie putting down 600hp. If I go to the trouble to do an engine swap, I will be looking for around 800hp. But that's a ways off. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I think it's great that your motor has been bullet proof so far granted yours has quite a few miles less than most since you did it years ago.  I'm curious if Texas300 had an issue prior to the twinscrew or not.  I know people using maggie's in GTO's and so forth with no issues at all.  This is the main reason why I will be putting the motor in stock to access any problems that should arise.  It's less to diagnose if I do the "while I am in here" mods.  

I like what Sunny Z has done using the 5.3's for forced induction.  These LS2's aren't cheap and I'd hate to have one go boom on FI.  Hell if you got money though, let er buck!

I don't know if I should install a FAST intake and throttle body, the hottest cam I can get and a set of long tubes (no additional exhaust) to try to get up to around 500hp, then put a 150 shot on it. That would be my n/a 200 mph attempt if I made one with this engine. I can't see me ever taking the heads off this motor. But I'm not sure 650hp can get me a red hat. I bet I need more.

My truck blew it's clutch hydraulic line again on the way home tonight. The guy who installed my LQ4 did not plan for a safe routing of the clutch line, and without pulling the motor, I can't see an improved option for how it is routed across the header. I've replaced the burned line once. Gonna start on it again tomorrow.

You're headed in the right direction on the engine.

I have enjoyed following your progress on this and just picked up the Hot Rod issue to read that article. Have you been trying to make a trip to the Salt Flats? If you do, I'd be happy to help out any way I can. That's very drivable for me.

Thanks for the super nice offer. I've tried twice, booked flights, reserved rooms, scheduled off time at work and gotten rained out twice. I'm done with salt-too iff-y. I'm gonna limit myself to paved surfaces that dry off quickly. Those two attempts to go just as a crew member, cost me thousands.

Thanks for the super nice offer. I've tried twice, booked flights, reserved rooms, scheduled off time at work and gotten rained out twice. I'm done with salt-too iff-y. I'm gonna limit myself to paved surfaces that dry off quickly. Those two attempts to go just as a crew member, cost me thousands.

Ohio FTW :) 

I have a 3.54, 28" drag radials and a .84 fifth gear. That puts me at 150 ish in the 1/2-mile at 6200 in 4th and 174 ish in the 1-mile in 5th. I have bought a super rare 3.36 R200, but that still won't get me to 200mph. I'm gonna order a 3.18 R&P this winter. That'll do the trick but I will need lots more power. Texas300, I'm curious to see how you car does if you shift to 6th gear. With low profile tires, you are gonna run out of gearing pretty fast. I know I don't have the torque to pull 6th. One of these days I'm gonna check with Liberty gears to see if my 6th could ever be changed from a .50 to a .75 ratio. 6th is kinda worthless except cruising on the highway.

Not at all! I will run those numbers when I get a chance and look up the mounted diameters of my assorted R6s. That's one way to lower the car! Most of the landspeed guys hate overdrive trannies for some reason and chose instead to run tall tires, tall rear ratios and 1:1 final gearbox ratios. They say there's a science to it, but I don't get it. Something about driveline efficiency losses. Once I have a lift and a welder, I hope to figure out some kind of better diff mounting system to allow me to swap diffs really fast. Then I can test and tune several ratios on the same weekend.once football season is over and I'm not running back and forth to Auburn for games I hope to get out in the garage and get some work done. Right now I'm in football and marching band season purgatory. Don't get me wrong, the girls are much more important than the car, but I can't seem to get two minutes next to each other lately.