HybridZ

LS/T56/240z Project Mentor Wanted

Truck fixed. Airdam carrier installed in truck. Lots of brake work today. Still pulling-it's not the brakes. Gonna try some caster changes tomorrow. Need to scare up some corner weight scales-I'm thinking that a lot of caster could unload a wheel(?). Smaller spoiler in prep for some fiberglass reinforcement, large spoiler solidly attached but awaiting better hardware. All chute parts are in paint now, just need to practice packing it. Death from a million cuts.

Caster does have a jacking effect, but only when the steering wheel is turned. When corner balancing the car, you REALLY need to make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead.  If you have 6+ degrees of caster, then turning the wheel will significantly affect the scale readings.  If you turn left, the left front wheel and right rear wheel will gain load and the right front and left rear will lose load.

On a related note, caster (or more specifically caster trail) produces a torque about the steering axis.  If both wheels have equal caster, then when you are driving straight the caster induced torques at the front wheels will be equal but opposite therefore cancelling each other out.  If one of the front wheels has significantly more caster than the other, then the car will pull toward the side that has less caster.

Perfect advice. I will add some caster on the left since it is going left. Thank you so much for using language I can understand.

I was gonna call you if you hadn't replied by the time I got home from church. Thanks for your generosity.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 4 weeks later...

Ohio Mile. Ran (5) 170mph runs, a 171mph run, and a 173mph run. Rained entire first day. Got 3 runs on a crowded second day, then 3 runs on 3rd day with a thinning pack and motorcycles being held due to crosswinds. Then rain shut down day 3 early. Don't freak about the proofs-I have purchased these photos, but they are on my laptop. Truck had an idler pulley start squealing on the way home, so we had to do some repairs-seems to be a pattern with me. Had to use the Z to chase parts. The sign in the parking lot says "No car work allowed in parking lot!"-lol.

post-5903-0-41784700-1475978265_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-33307200-1475978279_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-21792900-1475978312_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-93156900-1475978334_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-21480100-1475978353_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-04684800-1475978380_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-26927900-1475978397_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-54801000-1475978441_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-42564200-1475978459_thumb.png

post-5903-0-89767200-1475978476_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-70050000-1475978492_thumb.png

post-5903-0-45972400-1475978506_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not an experienced or trained driver, so I don't always know how to translate how the car "feels" into the right words or the right modifications.  All I can really say is that the car feels "apprehensive" at about 150 and it is REALLY apprehensive at 170-WITHOUT the tall spoiler (that includes No-spoiler and the short-spoiler).  Now, WITH the tall spoiler, the car feels settled and planted-I feel like I'm on my way to Public's to get groceries.  The 173 run was done with the short spoiler and it was scary.  170-171 was achieved with or without a spoiler, but without a spoiler the car is kinda scary to me.  The final run of the day was done with no spoiler and a big headwind and strong crosswind gusts.  The car felt apprehensive (I think this may be the same feeling as "instability") from 150 to 170, getting worse with increasing speed, then after crossing the finish line I lifted the throttle too abruptly and weight shifted off the rear axle-this caused the rear of the car to swerve left HARD requiring me to whip the wheel left pretty fast to keep the car pointed down-track.  I realized what was happening and got back on throttle to shift weight back onto rear tires and car settled, then I used all of the remaining runway to stop, being much more gentle as I lifted throttle until the car was going much slower.  I think that without the rear spoiler, the rear develops lift.  The trip never sought to go faster than 175mph.  Rather it was a Test-n-tune trip to test the spoiler options and also to test the effects of radiator opening blocking.  With the opening that I put in my fiberglass airdam/splitter, the car gained no degrees of water temp from start to finish line (194-194 degrees).  When I substantially blocked the opening, the car went from 198 to 221.  When I installed a blocking plate that was somewhere in between, the temp only went form 194 to 210.  Mph did not seem to be influicenced by radiator opening size.  I will plan to run with my radiator hole open in the future.

Which big spoiler are you using?  I am wanting to add a rear spoiler to my car to help with high speed stability and to get a little more confidence in high speed turns (Turn 1, Turn 17, and Bishop at Sebring).  I am hitting speeds of 140 - 150 mph headed toward 17 at Sebring.

My car NEVER pushes and feels very balanced.  I like driving a neutral car at autocross speeds, but would like an aero induced shift toward understeer at higher speeds. 

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

It is either a Retrospec "Downforce" spoiler or a clone. Mike Kelly had one on "Sasha-Gray." It had no mounting system, just a big plug of CF. I put aluminum rivet nuts in it and bolted thru the rear deck skin to mount it. Mine was warped and stands off the passenger fender about an inch while the driver side hits the fender and dings the paint. As a compromise, I made a thick gasket a sheet of 1/4" rubber from the local gasket and o-ring company to space the spoiler off, then put high density foam under the ends to take up the air space. There was a thread earlier this year by a guy who was upset because of poor composite part quality. I'm afraid it is what it is. We can either bitch about it, make parts ourselves, or learn to make aftermarket parts work.