HybridZ
RebekahsZ

LS/T56/240z Project Mentor Wanted

Ohio Mile. Ran (5) 170mph runs, a 171mph run, and a 173mph run. Rained entire first day. Got 3 runs on a crowded second day, then 3 runs on 3rd day with a thinning pack and motorcycles being held due to crosswinds. Then rain shut down day 3 early. Don't freak about the proofs-I have purchased these photos, but they are on my laptop. Truck had an idler pulley start squealing on the way home, so we had to do some repairs-seems to be a pattern with me. Had to use the Z to chase parts. The sign in the parking lot says "No car work allowed in parking lot!"-lol.

post-5903-0-41784700-1475978265_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-33307200-1475978279_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-21792900-1475978312_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-93156900-1475978334_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-21480100-1475978353_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-04684800-1475978380_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-26927900-1475978397_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-54801000-1475978441_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-42564200-1475978459_thumb.png

post-5903-0-89767200-1475978476_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-70050000-1475978492_thumb.png

post-5903-0-45972400-1475978506_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

I'm not an experienced or trained driver, so I don't always know how to translate how the car "feels" into the right words or the right modifications.  All I can really say is that the car feels "apprehensive" at about 150 and it is REALLY apprehensive at 170-WITHOUT the tall spoiler (that includes No-spoiler and the short-spoiler).  Now, WITH the tall spoiler, the car feels settled and planted-I feel like I'm on my way to Public's to get groceries.  The 173 run was done with the short spoiler and it was scary.  170-171 was achieved with or without a spoiler, but without a spoiler the car is kinda scary to me.  The final run of the day was done with no spoiler and a big headwind and strong crosswind gusts.  The car felt apprehensive (I think this may be the same feeling as "instability") from 150 to 170, getting worse with increasing speed, then after crossing the finish line I lifted the throttle too abruptly and weight shifted off the rear axle-this caused the rear of the car to swerve left HARD requiring me to whip the wheel left pretty fast to keep the car pointed down-track.  I realized what was happening and got back on throttle to shift weight back onto rear tires and car settled, then I used all of the remaining runway to stop, being much more gentle as I lifted throttle until the car was going much slower.  I think that without the rear spoiler, the rear develops lift.  The trip never sought to go faster than 175mph.  Rather it was a Test-n-tune trip to test the spoiler options and also to test the effects of radiator opening blocking.  With the opening that I put in my fiberglass airdam/splitter, the car gained no degrees of water temp from start to finish line (194-194 degrees).  When I substantially blocked the opening, the car went from 198 to 221.  When I installed a blocking plate that was somewhere in between, the temp only went form 194 to 210.  Mph did not seem to be influicenced by radiator opening size.  I will plan to run with my radiator hole open in the future.

Which big spoiler are you using?  I am wanting to add a rear spoiler to my car to help with high speed stability and to get a little more confidence in high speed turns (Turn 1, Turn 17, and Bishop at Sebring).  I am hitting speeds of 140 - 150 mph headed toward 17 at Sebring.

My car NEVER pushes and feels very balanced.  I like driving a neutral car at autocross speeds, but would like an aero induced shift toward understeer at higher speeds. 

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

It is either a Retrospec "Downforce" spoiler or a clone. Mike Kelly had one on "Sasha-Gray." It had no mounting system, just a big plug of CF. I put aluminum rivet nuts in it and bolted thru the rear deck skin to mount it. Mine was warped and stands off the passenger fender about an inch while the driver side hits the fender and dings the paint. As a compromise, I made a thick gasket a sheet of 1/4" rubber from the local gasket and o-ring company to space the spoiler off, then put high density foam under the ends to take up the air space. There was a thread earlier this year by a guy who was upset because of poor composite part quality. I'm afraid it is what it is. We can either bitch about it, make parts ourselves, or learn to make aftermarket parts work.

No. Windshield and dash are out for cage upgrade. Door bars have to be removed prior to taking to cage guy and he had a backlog. Working on hot rod (1931 Ford coupe) mostly. I bought a mig welder and Im practicing. Once I feel like mig is good I will get a tig and get good with it. Target date got 200mph attention is 2020. Had such a great evening with you and your wife. Very impressive couple.

ZAttack was kind of a bust last month due to rain and hail. They moved the show into a parking deck, which was good, but participation was really down. Got to hang out with EasTNZ, but Smyrna388Z was a no-show. It rained like hell all weekend and the tow back and forth was pretty sketchy with cars in the ditch all along the highway. Still in line for rollcage work. Stopped by "the man" and he said I might get into his shop in the next couple weeks. Hopeful, but understanding-he's started building turn-key drag cars for folks and has been getting bogged down in the details like any of us can. Driving the minivan to the Arkansas Mile next weekend in Blytheville, AR. I think a Ford GT went 278 there last year. Hoping to put some time in on the S-10 this weekend-had some Lully noise last time I drove it.