HybridZ

S13 suspension swap questions?

So i have an s13 project that i want to turn into a 240z project. My plan is to take all of my suspension, wheels and engine/drivetrain and put it into the 240z.It seems like there hasn't been a lot of s13 suspension swaps that have been done or they just haven't been documented. So basically what i want to know is, what are people doing about the front rods on the front s13 subframe? are you welding the mounts to the lower radiator saddle or making a "power brace" like the s13 guys call it. The rear looks to be pretty self explanatory so don't really have any questions about that

this is the car id be swapping from btw :)

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4922.jpg

Can I haz car? I am not quite sure what you are talking about. I would go about doing the suspension swap well documented. I would like that at least. Some guys on here wouldn't I don't think though. B) Do the swap, let us know how it goes, things that make it challenging.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you expecting performance gains using the SX suspension under the Z cause that would be be alot of work for no real gain other than comments at the shows like "wow, thats different" which is why you don't see many that have done it. FOr the work involved in swapping the S13 front and rear suspension you could redesign your front and rear that will perform better and be cool at the shows. There are other ways to get 5 lug, bigger brakes etc. Oh, and the long nose Datsun R200 has tougher output shafts than the SX, J30 and Z32 short nose R200 differential, Q45 short nose R200 stubs might be as tough.

I'm actually having this done at the moment. My reasoning behind this was . . .

1) Easy to source parts for CHEAP (Coilovers, control arms, bushings, Diffs[i thought the J30 was a pretty damn stoute diff myself], etc etc)

2) I know and understand the S13 suspension and culture. I have a lot of friends who can get me parts on the cheap.

3) I wanted something different.

4) It widens the stance of the 240Z by a few inches.

5) Because it seemed like a good idea :)

It may not be the most cost effective method to go, but I figured it was something worth the $$. I'm going to be learning how to weld and will be strengthening the frame (stitch welding the whole car, strut tower bars, etc), and adding much more power to the car. I wanted something that I could enjoy driving as a weekend car for years.

It may not be for everyone, and I'm sure there are other ways of getting what I want, but this is the road I took.

I will post pictures of it after it is done. (I'm actually only having the rear end done. The front end I am keeping stock (except for coilovers.) I have seen the front end done and it was done exactly as you said, with welding a power brace to the radiator support, using the S13 front crossmember. But, I can't really give more information on this as I don't have any.

Edited by New-to-240z

• 1 month later...

Are you expecting performance gains using the SX suspension under the Z cause that would be be alot of work for no real gain other than comments at the shows like "wow, thats different" which is why you don't see many that have done it. FOr the work involved in swapping the S13 front and rear suspension you could redesign your front and rear that will perform better and be cool at the shows. There are other ways to get 5 lug, bigger brakes etc. Oh, and the long nose Datsun R200 has tougher output shafts than the SX, J30 and Z32 short nose R200 differential, Q45 short nose R200 stubs might be as tough.

Hahaha. I have heard of Q45 "R200" diffs, but I thought they were actually R230s? I've never seen a R200 under a Q45 in the junkyard, all the Q45's I've seen have 5-bolt axles/R230's.

As for the output shafts being stronger? Who cares? I've only heard of a couple 240SX CV axle failures and they were on 700+ horsepower drag cars. I've personally seen a 240SX R200 diff that had been raped, drifted, dragged, and daily beaten on by an LS1 for over 40,000 miles (yeah, 40,000+ miles with the LS!, not counting the miles on the diff before the motor swap) and it finally failed by ripping the weld from one of the spider gears. It still worked by the way, it just made horrible noises. I wouldn't worry about differential strength.

I say go for the swap! I've got a spare S13 and a spare 240Z myself, so i'd love to see your build.

As for you guys claiming the S13 suspension isn't a HUGE upgrade from the S30, you've clearly never driven one. The camber increase rates of the 240SX are much better, I can hit the same corners in my Datsun (poly suspension bushings, bilstein shocks, slightly cut springs, bigger front swaybar, strut bars, 225/50-15 falken 912's) then in my 240SX (bigger rear swaybar, strut bars, adjustable tension rods, and a proper alignment. No other suspension mods with the same 225/50-15 912's) and the 240SX is much more predictable, way smoother, has shitloads less understeer, and I can slide through the corner going 5-10 MPH faster than I could ever hit the corner in my Z. The 240SX is way more predictable, smoother, and can actually drift. The Z doesn't drift for ****, but thats most likely due to the lack of LSD and not nearly enough negative camber up front. The 240SX is wayy ahead of the Z technologically. Thats why I DD my 240Z, and I'm building the 240SX as my track ****. The 240SX is way faster, but the Z is a much better looking car and weighs less. Nissan tried to make a modern "version" of the 240Z when they designed the 240SX, and they did a damn good job.

• 1 month later...

Some of the things that you have to consider about the s13 and the s30 is the placement of the suspension and weight differences. While the s13 is a solid FR layout you are sitting much farther forward in the car and it weighs 300-400 more, the s30 your almost on top of the rear wheels. The s30 is considered a 50/50 car the way it sits stock adding the heavier rear sub will change this making the end much more prone to spinning IMO but I could be mistaken. I would be interesting to see how this causes the car to react.

Edited by OniZ

• 5 months later...

I'm actually having this done at the moment. My reasoning behind this was . . .

1) Easy to source parts for CHEAP (Coilovers, control arms, bushings, Diffs[i thought the J30 was a pretty damn stoute diff myself], etc etc)

2) I know and understand the S13 suspension and culture. I have a lot of friends who can get me parts on the cheap.

3) I wanted something different.

4) It widens the stance of the 240Z by a few inches.

5) Because it seemed like a good idea :)

Hey everyone,

I agree with 'New-to-240z'.

I need to add

#6: because I already spent over $10,000 on suspension upgrades on the s13 including: 5 lug hubs, z32 brakes, coilovers and whiteline swaybars front and back.

I am trying to do the same thing.

I am in the process of swapping out my s30 suspension for s13 suspension in the rear but, I am going to cut the whole sub frame in the front of my s13 and graft it onto the s30. I have been trying to read all the post tha everyone has done. There is a lot of people that say "just do a search, there are a lot of people that have done the swap. This is true,but not one person has taken the pics and documented on what he has done except I found only one person with pics and step that he did. (I think Maichor?).

So if you guys can give a link with more pics and documentation.

thanks.

Tony

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

I agree with 'New-to-240z'.

I need to add

#6: because I already spent over $10,000 on suspension upgrades on the s13 including: 5 lug hubs, z32 brakes, coilovers and whiteline swaybars front and back.

I am trying to do the same thing.

I am in the process of swapping out my s30 suspension for s13 suspension in the rear but, I am going to cut the whole sub frame in the front of my s13 and graft it onto the s30. I have been trying to read all the post tha everyone has done. There is a lot of people that say "just do a search, there are a lot of people that have done the swap. This is true,but not one person has taken the pics and documented on what he has done except I found only one person with pics and step that he did. (I think Maichor?).

So if you guys can give a link with more pics and documentation.

thanks.

Tony

Might wanna check this out before cutting up your car, its alot easier than you guys think. http://www.northwestnissans.com/board/threads/104488-1972-Datsun-240Z-UP-Garages-Build-Thread!?highlight=UP+Garages+73+240z