HybridZ

My Love of a Dying Breed

Gollum

My first car that I called MINE was a 280ZX, purchased about a whopping 6 months or so after joining this site, not much longer than getting my license. I bought it just before our wonderful state of california changed the rolling smog year law, meaning that my 80 280ZX would never see smog test exemption...

I've now owned 4 of these wonderful cars and more than ever really wish I didn't always have to worry about those pesky bi-annual inspections.

Now owning a S30 as well, I've really learned what I love and hate about the S130 cars, and would like to share with the rest of you my feelings, findings, and overall fantasy of all the S130 is and could be.

I think something that we have to remember, as I move on here, is context. These cars are cheap. I mean I paid $2k for my first one, and I grossly overpaid for it. I bought my next for $500, and had it running in one weekend and drove it over a year with no issues. I bought one after that, a turbo, for under $1,500 and then got my most recent one for FREE, and drove it home even! So if it seems like I make them out to be the most amazing thing since sliced bread, then just remember the context, the fact that they're dirt cheap.

First I'd like to talk about rust. So many cars are plagued with rust issues, and I have to say that besides some key areas these cars are pretty good. The biggest issue is that the corner panel windows leak. I've only come across a handful that didn't, so rest assured they pretty much all have this issue. So during the winter, rain leaks through these seals, and then water sits in the corner panel, on both sides of the trunk. The driver's side (left hand drive) doesn't seem to rust through very easily, I think due to a coating they used or something. The passenger side though, it all gathers in the spare wheel well, and it rusts through fairly easy. In fact most S130s I've seen need all new spare wheel wells because they're rusted so bad. But overall the rest of the car is pretty solidly engineered. There aren't any water traps that I've found that are guaranteed rust areas. Be careful of the gap between the door and window though, as these seals tend to wear over time, or even get torn off. This will allow a lot of water to sit, and even fill, the door. As a temporary solution you can remove the plugs on the bottom of the door so the water drains, but this is just a temporary solution.

Weight, weight, weight, weight. These cars are often talked about like they're ridiculously heavy, and that it's a fact you can't fix. I'd like to stand firm on this topic, and enforce the fact that they are NOT a heavy... CHASSIS. They CAN be a heavy car, but I've seen it completely depend on how they're equipped. A fully trimmed, as though off the showroom floor, with a full tank of gas, NO optioned 79' 280ZX will hit the scale at around 2500 pounds. The bumpers I'd swear are even heavier than the bumpers of the 280Z, but I've never actually compared them side by side. These cars don't look nearly as awesome bumperless though, as the rest of the body was well molded around the bumper, meaning that removing it makes it look like it's lost a tooth or something. But having cut these cars up now, and having seen where all the weight lies, I can firmly say that they're JUST as light, if not LIGHTER of a chassis than the S30. This means that all the difference is removable, or fixable. Other than the obvious bumpers, another big area of easy savings is the hood. That thing is a huge beast of metal. The rear hatch is really heavy too, but most of it is the glass, not the metal. If you have a wiper back there, removing it will only save about 15 pounds at best, but it's an easy removal. The doors are also pretty heavy, so if you have a full cage with good side protection you might want to look into gutting the door a bit. The nest heaviest part of the car is the rear suspension. If you dropped the entire rear subframe assembly I'd bet it weighs in at over 150 pounds. Now, a lot of that is the R200, iron calipers, rotors, etc but the lower control arms are seriously heavy. If someone were making quality tig welded tubular control arms they'd be worth every penny.

Handling, with these are, well, interesting. I find that even on a stock suspension 280ZX my cornering speeds aren't bad. They handle really well up to the limit but the problem is that most people can't find the limit very easily. They tend to be really dramatic before you get there, and you keep pushing, and keep pushing then BAM, the back end is sliding out nearly impossible to control. Now, once you learn where it is, you CAN control it and it's not that bad. But these cars don't like rough inputs, as it makes it that much harder to predict. If you go over the grip edge smoothly, and give it smooth inputs for correction it responds very smoothly. I think these cars CAN be fast, but where this car's doom lies, is in the fact that it doesn't FEEL snappy. I can understand the argument people have, as a sports car SHOULD feel snappy, and I think these cars can. It just takes a bit more work than in a S30, or even the Z31. One of the big things is to ditch the steering system if you don't have a rack and pinion setup. This will require a crossmember swap, but that's not TOO big of a deal really. The manual steering models were all rack and pinion if you want to go that route, and the 82-83 power steering models were rack and pinion.

The power from the NA models are a bit weak, but for their day weren't all that bad. I'd even say they're plenty fast for most young drivers. They have enough HP to get you into trouble easily enough if they're in good shape. If you think about it, with just some minor work and some moderate weight reduction you could make them a 14 second car. The real beauty is that you could grab a 82 turbo car and just getting it in good running shape it should be an easy low 14 second car, and we all know that these engines can easily reach 300hp without breaking a sweat.

But what I'd really like to get to now, is the benefits that are often overlooked. There's plenty of bad that I've touched on, but there's some good that's often never talked about. One is the fact that you can fit HUGE tires without flares. This means you don't have to spend tons of time rolling fenders, or attaching flares and grinding body panels away. Just but the group buy rims and buy tires. 245 easily fits all around, and that's plenty of tire for most street cars. 275 wide even fits with some careful work, still much easier than fitting even a 255 in a S30 imo. Another often overlooked aspect is aero. Now, it's still not like a new car at all, but it fixed many of a huge issues with the S30, and is hideous for it. Nissan I think did a good job fixing the looks side with the Z31, but in reality what they made was a primadonna Z that fit into the styling of the era. The S130 though at least retains part of the looks, while laying the foundation for improved aero. With some attention to detail of the front end, small work on the roof and hatch area you could have plenty of downforce for a street car, and low enough drag to not be a huge hindrance on the mpg. Like the S30 though, the devil is in the details. There's lots of little things that still need work for anyone looking for every ounce of slippery wind potential.

And the biggest downside for most people I've just hit on, the looks. I agree the S130 isn't exactly a "pretty" car. I can say that it's not as bad as some other 80's cars, but it's certainly not them gem. And in all honesty if you can't LIKE your car, then why do you have it? And a lot of people LIKE a car based upon how it makes them FEEL when the LOOK at it. This means that the LOOKS play a huge role on how it's accepted by people and/or it's owner. In the end the 280ZX is a conflicted car that's trying desperately to hold onto the look and feel of the 60's and 70's GT cars, but still be "new" and "exciting" and it just clashes in many ways. If you like it, more power to you. But I for one have gotten to the point that when I look at the 280ZX the FEELING I get doesn't come from the looks, and I see past the looks. I see the character of the car beneath the skin, and I can appreciate the unexpected sleeper factor. People don't expect a S130 to be packing much heat, and I kind of like that.

But, the sad fact, and much of why I'm writing this, is that I plan to sell my last and only S130 down the road here (most likely later this year). Why? Because I live in california. It's that simple. The limitations put on me by the state I'm in makes it simply too restrictive, not letting me build the car I'd want to. Now, I know that much of what I do with my S30 isn't "legal" but I do keep believe in keeping my cars running well, which is what the smog checks are supposed to be about. But not having to deal with those inspections makes all the difference. And I'm sure there are people that read into that and would want to change the laws to force my old S30 off the road. And if that day comes, I'll just move to custom vehicles registered with SB100's, or I'll leave the state. And it's not that I want to go all that radical with a S130. I actually just want either a hot L28 with ITB's, or a RB engine with ITB's. Either would give me enough power for a fun street car and provide the response and sound to really "awaken" the character of the car. Even just a stock RB25DET would be awesome, but not smog legal in CA. You can legalize a 2JZ swap though...

In the end, I'd rather have old cars as project cars that I can feel free to work on without big brother looking over my car. The ideal post smog test car that I'd actually buy, is a subaru. But that's only because they don't have 4WD smog dynos.... yet... so you only have to pass visual and the older sniff test. Much easier to pass. Also, being turbocharged you can obtain your power that way, which won't show up so readily when smogging, and is reversible in just a moment.

Anyways, I love the S130, and hope to own one as a project someday. Sadly I'm not sure that day will ever come. But here's hoping.

A good JDM front end makes a huge difference to the appearance, they also look better in a dark colour and with wide wheels I think. The chassis is way better than a S30's and yes, they are not basically a heavy car at all. As far as the suspension goes its the same type front and back as the BMW E30 which has a good reputation suspension wise and is lots of fun to drive. A 280ZX can be just as good, if money is spent on it wisely. I love my 280ZX weekend toy and will never sell it B)

post-185-013651000 1289956140_thumb.jpg

Move to Las Vegas and you will be required to due a Smog Test every year!

Also, I get thumbs-up and frequent compliments on the appearence of my 280zx 1982. Even Porsche owners like my ZX.

But as far as I'm aware, the NV tests aren't nearly as stringent.

And we here on this site are usually here because we LIKE our cars, but I know what you mean, I do get a thumbs up from time to time.

A good JDM front end makes a huge difference to the appearance, they also look better in a dark colour and with wide wheels I think. The chassis is way better than a S30's and yes, they are not basically a heavy car at all. As far as the suspension goes its the same type front and back as the BMW E30 which has a good reputation suspension wise and is lots of fun to drive. A 280ZX can be just as good, if money is spent on it wisely. I love my 280ZX weekend toy and will never sell it B)

This is all a very good summation to what I believe as well. Like I said though, the main thing that kills it for me is local laws, nothing else. I know that even in the more strict areas of Europe they require a very detailed spec inspection to make sure the car is running clean and is safe for road use. And I completely agree with most of their setups. Here in CA though you can get failed just for changing out a fuel rail, which makes NO impact on the tune, air fuel ratio, or carbon foot print of the vehicle. Our laws are completely out of proportion.

• Like 1

Gollum:

I'm glad you posted this, especially since you have owned both a S30 and a S130, which in my mind validates this post that much more.

I've recently be contemplating the purchase of an S130, I love the look of them and have zero problem finding them at Pick-n-Pull in Sacramento. The weight issue you address solidifies my plans to purchase one. That has always been the major complain I've heard in regards to the S130 (major pro being the suspension).

Every time I'm at Pick-n-Pull I hop in the ones I find, rust never really seems to be an issue from what I've seen (maybe I'm not looking hard enough).

~Thanks

I think color has a lot to do with looks of this car. My daughter's Z in black with the gold interior is really classy IMHO. Wider tires and rims would give the car a more muscle look-hope to do that if I keep the car. The front end needs something too. I think painting the bumpers sleeks out the car and gives it a more modern look. I really like the car, but it is a toad compared to my s-30. The rear brakes on these cars-81 version-suck, can't get them to perform well. But driving a s-30 with wildwoods will spoil you!

Leaks, leaks , leaks are a problem with these cars and you can't buy a new hatch seal:( Most of the metal repair i have done is because of water leaks.

Auto climate control is a joke, but every manufacture has had its f$ck-ups.

I hope to keep this car and fix it up to better then new, but that is a more costly and more involved then a s-30. I will say that everything but the climate control still works and works well.

Another big issue for me is the auto trans, It needs an overdrive. This car would be a highway gobbler with an overdrive with an electronic control, but that will be a 2500$ venture in a 3500$ car.

Though my daughter loves this car, I imagine it will be a distant memory when she sees the 2007 subaru impreza wrx wgon I got her. Let's face it, a 81zxt is cool, but not a good daily driver when the weather changes. She loves the fact that her Z causes many conversations and compliments, but for everyday convienence the Subby will spoil her!

post-1083-095705500 1289999307_thumb.jpg

@madkaw ~ Find a car that hasn't spent full summers sitting in the sun! The only leak I've seen consistent with SEVERAL of them is the corner panel leakage, and the door leakage. The doors are an easy fix. The corner window seals are a bit more of a pita, but use just a seal compound, no rubber there. All of mine didn't have ANY leaks in the hatch seal.

I love my S130 as well, it's fun to work on. It's also fun digging super deep to find mods that work well since hardly anyone has seriously modded an S130, or at least documented it well anyways.

personally, I much prefer the looks of S130's over S30's, but I'm a weird mofo, so that doesn't mean anything lol

and a pictar of my car just because everyone seems to be doing it

148876_171421312870377_100000075273173_572213_1632440_n.jpg

I like the looks of the S130 as well, and a decent set of wheels make it look meaner. This just makes me want to go work on mine. Not going to post a pic of mine, mainly because it's buried in the garage as I decide how to build it.

madkaw-Your daughter will love the subie. I love my STI.

Edited by Forcer

Things to make the ZX "AWESOME":

IMSA body kit ( Redefines the ZX into a battle racing car);, Z force productions is in early stages of fabbing one.

Your choice of a deep color.

HIDS/projectors (makes it look sharp and modern) Classic style

rear suspension geometry modified; or swapped

audi lights; make it look porschey in the front ( personal idea, u might not like it)

fab BMW tailights style (again personal thought)

BBS rims or another kind of wheels (not sure on what else looks good)

I also want an s30z, but the chances of finding a rustfree one, or killing the rust right, is not worth it for me. I consider my S130z a learning challenge that will reward the driver at the end of the metamorphasis. Also post more beautiful ZXs to restore faith in the ZX

You USA'ers don't realise how lucky you are to have the two seater, I had to import mine from Japan, it's probably still too common for most of you to appreciate what you have. The other thing I notice is that in the US some owners are prepared to spend lots of $ on their S30's but thats rare with a S130. Also a lot of the S30 spenders seem to be experienced enthusiasts whereas the S130 crew are more the young single crowd who often don't have as much disposable income or mechanical and racing experience.

Fortunately I don't have to put mine through those regular inspections some of you have but here the cops can pull you over, check the car out and require it to be inspected for compliance with all sorts of annoying 'road safety' mechanical requirements. So the idea here is to be inconspicuous on the road eg my car's wing is only fitted at the race track. Believe it or not my S130 is limited use insured for $40000AU, US$ equivalent is just a touch less than that.

I owned S30's ( all 240's) from the late eighties all the way up to 2001. I got my first S130 shortly after selling my last 240. I can say that from being a product of the eighties that I like my fat bumpered 280ZX much better than the 240's I had. And now I actually have the money to spend on the damn thing!

You USA'ers don't realise how lucky you are to have the two seater, I had to import mine from Japan, it's probably still too common for most of you to appreciate what you have. The other thing I notice is that in the US some owners are prepared to spend lots of $ on their S30's but thats rare with a S130. Also a lot of the S30 spenders seem to be experienced enthusiasts whereas the S130 crew are more the young single crowd who often don't have as much disposable income or mechanical and racing experience.

Fortunately I don't have to put mine through those regular inspections some of you have but here the cops can pull you over, check the car out and require it to be inspected for compliance with all sorts of annoying 'road safety' mechanical requirements. So the idea here is to be inconspicuous on the road eg my car's wing is only fitted at the race track. Believe it or not my S130 is limited use insured for $40000AU, US$ equivalent is just a touch less than that.

I will say this...im not a huge fan of the 2+2's BUT i am about to get one for the wife to drive (because of the baby) and i will say that its really not that bad. Sure it weighs more and looks kinda "off" but traction (if you decide to build it for HP) not to mention the longer wheel base is definitely a plus in my eyes, and if youre putting it on race duty im sure it can get to sub 3#k with a little gutting.

My z story goes, my grandad bought/traded up every year when they came out 70-83, and had every model including the turbos in the zx and he said what we all do "the z's were cheap sportscars and jerky very 'in touch' cars, and the zx's were alot nicer/refined and had all the fancy ****, and the turbo 5speeds were 'about as quick as the early cars' but still more plush." Well instead of trading in the 80GL my dad bought it for him and drove it forever until he got backed into in a parking lot (pass fender just a good dent) and the fuel pump went out. Let the car sit for 5 years, then put it in storage for another 5 years. Well i wanted it but couldnt pry it from him so i bought a nice rust free 79 280zx, because it was manual rack,5 speed, lightest of the bunch, no automatic BS to go out/replace....i put bigger swaybars on it, tokico illuminas all aroung (spent 3 months looking for rears that had been out of production for 4 years, and got very lucky) with eibach lowering springs, strut tower braces, intake, header, 2 1/2 exhuast, practically new interior from a friends car he bought and blew the motor in (was redone in vinyl/velour by PO)....all i ever had to do to that car was put a fan motor in and a radiator. It was great to me, but my dad decided he couldnt be out done, so he was starting to build his car, took all my suspension parts off, sold them to him, and the car for more than i paid only a year later (bought for 1700, sold for 2250). Then i got a shitty rusty z...and bought my dads zx after hating how cold/hot/rigid the z was, it was a great track toy and all but i missed a rust free car, carpet, a/c, heat, you know the stuff you want in a daily. So then i started on what was my dads car rebuilding it slowly, all new brakes, ratty 35+ yr tan to perfect black interior, body kit, all the suspension, group buy wheels (after measuring and everyone asking in the thread) i figured id prove they would fit on a stock body non fender rolled zx and ofcourse they did. tons of other stuff...but did i mention i just cleaned up the engine and started it right up and it ran great, no smoke, for a year untill a robello stroker with trips went in its place. Finally i had a car that not only looked great but instead of a 120hp motor i had something to shut all the 350z's, gt stangs, m3's, etc up while still being in my "old car" with a "stock motor."

Sold it to my dad, and he totalled it 28 days later....idiot, but now im starting on the womans 2+2 and going to make it look good along with finishing up my "drift" zx which just needs some odds and ends and itll be ready as well. I would rather have a zx anyday because i love their handling, the "weight" can easily be taken care of if you want to go fast, the creature comforts/smoother ride is addicting, and personally i love the lines of the coupes...the 2+2 will have to grow on me lol.

the "drifter"

znu6ux.jpg

and ofcourse the other zx i had...

25i268y.jpg

2573akh.jpg

28vpo1y.jpg

2i8xjyv.jpg

23itlyp.jpg

...oh yea then this happened

16l0bra.jpg

nzk8it.jpg

oqbo6e.jpg

14e5gy9.jpg

dgnrx2.jpg

The "new 2+2"

15dv0x5.jpg

16jkffp.jpg

Edited by sticky280zx

here in british columbia, we have identical smog laws to california (we even use the same dynos, except we have 4wd ones). all cars must also go thru them, no exemptions, unless it has collector status (hard to get). the secret is to learn how to out smart them. my car has 10.8:cr and a lumpy cam. stock ecu (soon to be changed) i used to unplug one of the injectors to make it run right as i have it basically tunned for extra fuel high up, so it fails on idle every time. i also install a cat. my car doesnt need one, but i need it (get it really hot). retard the timing way down, and run 1 liter methyl hydrate. over inflate your tires for less dyno drag. its alot of extra work, but i would never stop owning a s130 just due to smog laws. there are ways around them when your a mechanic