• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: We went with a new damper on this refresh. We were running an older Datsun Competition unit before. So we ordered a new ATI damper. 

A few notes on the ATI damper:

- Nice unit, beautifully machined pulley, and the damper itself is anodized aluminum with laser etched timing marks.

- It's a tight fit to the crank, but that is really what you want for best vibration dampening

- Pulley size is much smaller than stock, so keep that in mind when choosing accessory pulley sizes. For a race application you probably want to have a much larger alternator pulley. Not sure on the water pump. We'll find out soon  :D

Issues: 

See the photo below. You can see the washer mating surface is much further from the crank snout than stock.

20150519_190530.jpg

There is about one thread of engagement, so a LONGER BOLT is required! I ordered a few different sizes of 16mm x 1.5 grade 10.6 bolts and found the size that gave me the most thread engagement without bottoming out in the crank. I also used the NISMO bolt washer as it has a groove that allows it to sit inside the pulley hole. See attached image.

I used an extra long bolt to in effect press the pulley on to the crank. Like I said it is a tight fit (zero clearance), but it will go on with some antisieze and a long bolt. Lining up the woodruff key is the biggest challenge. Don't install the oil pan until you get the pulley on, Chances are you will knock the woodruff key out at least once like I did.

Here is a photo comparing stock to ATI. The pulley lines up find with the water pump pulley.

20150519_195505.jpg

I'll post more photos tomorrow when I get it all together.

post-274-0-49398100-1432663285_thumb.jpg

As far as I can tell, they only make one hub for the L6 that has a V-belt pulley. The other has no accessory drive at all.

Here are more pics:

It's being mounted on the engine dyno today. 

post-274-0-60724400-1433186025_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-95767100-1433186040_thumb.jpg