HybridZ

How much does your S30 weigh NOW.

Guest ttoude

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 260z early. It weighs 2520 on a truck scale. It had all fluids and full tank of gas, rear tire, cheapo APC pepboys seats and an aftermarket AC installed. Its got a full interior also.

For comparison my 81 280zx 2+2 weighs 2600 with about 3/4 tank, all other fluids, no carpet no rear seats , no interior in the trunk area, no spare tire, and 2 sparco fighter seats. oh and no AC or AC lines.

Edited by BluDestiny

My '72 with full interior, roll bar, 3/4 tank of gas, bigger wheels and tires, and a gnose weighs in at 2455.

Z-Ya and I own a 240 race car and with 8 gals of fuel, full dash, full cage, FG hood, fenders, air dam, lexan hatch window, gutted doors (no glass, no mechs, etc.),passenger seat weighs in at 2250. Car is stripped down right now being refreshed and a sheet metal dash will be installed but we will add a bar or two across this opening so I'm figuring no weight reduction. Hoping to get down to 2200 lbs.

According to the scales at San Antonio Dragway my 1976 2+2 with my 255# body inside it weighed in at 2695---seeing it runs 15.50 in the 1/4 at just under 90mph, that seems a reasonable engine power level for what I've done to it...

2245 w/o driver? Is it an early 260Z? What have you taken out of it?

The list of things left in it is shorter...

Lets see, it has no door carpet, no interior from the tail lights up to the seats. Gutted dash. I would suspect that the weight added with the turbo swap and the 16" wheels is more than the weight of everything I have removed. At least very close if you dont count the bumpers...forgot about those.

Ask someone that has gutted a S30 of all its interior panels, the interior of a Z is pretty light.

plastic and vinyl dont weigh that much....the tar and carpet on the floor is alot more than the plastic/vinyl...I am going to have to get my 81 280zx on the scales soon, ttop car, auto stuff still there (have 79 doors i will be putting on just for more weight savings if its not where i want it), NO dash, wiring taped to crash bar/run to cluster/triple gauge cluster, heater core/ac comp/lines/condensor/nothing that was under the dash just the wiring on the bar, extra brackets/junk in the engine bay that isnt needed,bumpers, single celica cloth seat, no tar on the floor/home depot carpet padding (lightweight multi-foam stuff) adhesive sprayed to the floor, NO interior pieces or door panels, no spare, header w/ 2 1/2" exhaust (still lighter than stock), all brackets/junk/etc on the bottom of the car is gone...still have a little more to go but i am hoping for 2k-2200 with me (140#) & gas in the car.

Edited by sticky280zx

• 2 weeks later...

When my son and i gutted my 75 280Z for racing it weighed 2285 with the 2.8L 4 speed before the 5.0 swap. after the swap and before i started making it streetable again it was 2175. no interior at all, no dash, 1 gallon radiator, 1 seat, 8 gallon fuel cell. when we stripped the car the dash and heater assembly was over 325 by itself. My 23" x 13" wide slicks and wheels weigh less than the datsun tires and wheels at 28 lbs, my fronts, 20" x x9" are 22 lbs on steel wheels. All the interior plastic, carpet and pleather was over 250 lbs. But now i am having to put it all back in or fabricate it all.

Mine is still 99% stock. '71 240z, a couple gallons of gas, all other fluids topped up and heavy recaro knock off seats = 2330 lbs.

when we stripped the car the dash and heater assembly was over 325 by itself. All the interior plastic, carpet and pleather was over 250 lbs.

You're supposed to subtract your weight when you stand on a scale with parts in your hands :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Snailed

Last time I had mine on scales it was about 1983 lbs without driver, and with a couple gallons of gas, it had the full dash, but no interior plastics, all sound deadening removed, the seats replaced with Kirky aluminum shells, no side glass, rear glass replaced with plexy, and no lights.

It has no lights now, just brackets to hold some switches and gauges, the harness has been removed, and I ground off many of the now useless brackets for holding stock interior stuff. I need to get it on the scales again eventually to corner balance it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Well I'm a bit confused about the numbers I just got... I just had my car scaled at a race shop and the total weight with a 180# driver in the driver's seat was 2909 and 12 gallons of fuel in the tank.

Here are the weights per corner:

Total: 2909lbs W/180# driver and 12 gallons fuel

LF 710 RF 690

LR 777 RR 732

My car is a 1976 280Z with zero sound deadening materials in it, Zero door hardware/ Glass, rear Lexan Hatch window, lexan 1/4 windows, Kirkey and Ultrashield aluminum seats, a sheet aluminum dash, no hvac system, and a Chevy V8 with all aluminum heads/intake/waterpump. I don't have any smog or emissions stuff. I have a 15 Gallon fuel cell in the car. The Battery, an optima Red Top sits behind the passenger seat in the rear floor. I do have a significant cage (1.5 inch DOM SCCA legal thickness tubing) in the car, along with Pete Paraska's 2X3 inch steel subframes. I have an aluminum radiator. I also have a Q45 rear diff/axles which are contributing to the weight. The wheel/tire combo is pretty head, as is the Mcleod Bellhousing on the setup. The V8 isn't picking up much weight if any over the L6 (We've seen 42# used as the number difference given my configuration). I do have an oil cooler/lines, and an accusump/lines, and a return line on the fuel system with a surge tank.

But based on what my guy told me, without anyone in the car, it's still well over 2700#. I questioned the weights, but he scales PCA club race cars, specmiatas, Spec944s... and other race cars... He seems to know what he is doing, and has set up my miata and Porsche for me without any issues or questions of his abilities in the past. The guy services and maintains all of CDOC's racecars/employee cars, and anyone who knows those folks knows they don't half-ass anything. So although I don't want to believe him... There's no reason not to. Is this car really that heavy? Ugh...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly