HybridZ

How much does your S30 weigh NOW.

Guest ttoude

1970 240Z, SUs, light flywheel (weighed 369 lbs.), 4-speed, R200, full cage.

No interior, 25 lbs. battery, very light wheels/tires/brakes (13 inch).  

0.125" lexan windshield, FG door skin, one-piece FG nose

Weight with 3 gallons of gas was 1850.  I had probably another 100 to 125 lbs. that could have been removed.  Keep in mind this is an autox car and not a track car.  It's very easy to add weight in wheels, tires, and brakes.  Changing to 15 inch wheels and tires added 75 lbs.  

Cary

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cary, I'm assuming you have composite body panels other than the gnose and door skins.  Or is the where some that other 100+ pounds will come from?

One-piece nose, full doors, and rear hatch were all FG on the car.  The rest of weight was lighter components.  Rear diff changed from an R200 to an alloy Ford 8.8, steel driveshaft changed to an aluminum one.  And so on and so on.  

I helped a friend put together another 71 240Z that was 1840.  It used many of the same parts but had a Rebello KA24 and an R180 rear end.  Very fast but very peaky.  Quite a few of my friends are laughing at me when I told them I'm going to have a sub 1900 lbs. LS powered autox car.

Cary

One-piece nose, full doors, and rear hatch were all FG on the car.  The rest of weight was lighter components.  Rear diff changed from an R200 to an alloy Ford 8.8, steel driveshaft changed to an aluminum one.  And so on and so on.  

I helped a friend put together another 71 240Z that was 1840.  It used many of the same parts but had a Rebello KA24 and an R180 rear end.  Very fast but very peaky.  Quite a few of my friends are laughing at me when I told them I'm going to have a sub 1900 lbs. LS powered autox car.

Cary

Is that with safety equipment for racing?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Honestly, the first thing my mind goes to is that the VIN is from a 78, and somehow made its way onto a 240Z body. If the scale is accurate, and the car is as you described, there's just no way it should weight what it does. That would be a good number for even a 240Z.

There was someone here a while back with a car in the reverse situation. Early 240Z VIN, reshelled with a later 280Z.

• 1 year later...

I feel like we've got three or so of these threads rolling around, but this one at least has semi-recent postings.

I only trust the scale +/- 20lbs, but my last weigh in was 2280.

1975 280Z

Gutted doors (no glass, factory bracing still)

No interior other than OEM seats

No dash

No spare

No bumpers

MSA Type 1 fiberglass air dam

L28ET (no oil cooler)

S130 5 speed, I think an '81

R200 diff

3" exhaust, no cat, straight through muffler

No AC

No HVAC/Blower/anything

Hey, I still have wipers!

I have another 100lbs easy to remove too, I think. Going to replace the rear glass with plastic eventually, and my whole front end is still steel. Will replace hood eventually, and since I deleted the HVAC I need to get a smooth cowl panel, and might save a few ounces there. I'm also running a common group 53 lead acid battery, so there's 15-20lbs of weight savings there if I wanted to spend the money.

On 12/16/2011 at 3:04 PM, BluDestiny said:

I know this is for S30;s, but I weighed my s130 base model coupe that I've been working on and it came in at 2470.

Specs:

Full 20 gal tank, all fluids

no Sound deadening, no spare tire or tools

completely stripped save for the dash, center console and 2 sparco tec seats (40lbs for the pair)

No AC lines in the bay( still have under the dash stuff)

No power windows, or power steering

s13 coilovers, s13 alum radiator.

6-2-1 headers w/o cat and shaved n42 intake

No front bumper( have a fiberglass Gnose on)

I didn't have my whale tail on, but it cant be more than 30 lbs.

I had an SR20 Swap done on my 280zx by Touge Factory in Chicago about 2 years ago. They put the car on a scale when they were done (they got the car without an engine in it) and it was at 2460lbs. All the same things as above apply, except I had some roller steelies on the car, it did have a front bumper since my Gnose was obliterated by a brick on I-10, and I did have my whale tail on.