HybridZ

Borg Warner EFR Turbocharger line

ShaggyZ

Perhaps the most thorough coverage of these new turbos is at Full Race - http://www.full-race...efr-turbos.html

The turbochargers have been completely redesigned with some pretty cool features that, if truly functional, may justify the ~$1500 price tag. They all come with integrated Boost Control Solenoids and speed sensor ports; many of them come with well-designed integral wastegates, and the actuators bolt to the center housing instead of the compressor housing so you can spin the housing to just about any rotation you need; integrated by-pass valve (ie recirculating blow-off valve). They say these features are actually useful and efficient even in high horsepower applications and have OEM/high quality durability. I'm intrigued.

The BorgWarner EFR turbo is set to become the new world standard for performance turbocharging due to the high-technology feature package, unbeatable performance, and installation convenience. The EFR turbocharger was designed and manufactured with only one purpose in mind: to dominate the street, track, and strip. (7) different sized turbos, optimally matched for the 250-1000hp per turbo segment - and in (4) different turbine housings are the result. The combination of this top-shelf geometry and the Gamma-Ti turbine wheel significantly raises the bar for performance aftermarket turbochargers. Combined with our ball bearing technology, it is the most responsive range or turbos that are available anywhere, at any price. The EFR series covers all applications except the hardcore drag racers. For those hardcore customers, we still offer the highly popular S400SX and S500SX product lines, and will continue to update those turbos during the next year.

efr-overview-2.jpg

I did a search for EFR and came up empty.

Edited by ShaggyZ

Perhaps the most thorough coverage of these new turbos is at Full Race - http://www.full-race...efr-turbos.html

The turbochargers have been completely redesigned with some pretty cool features that, if truly functional, may justify the ~$1500 price tag. They all come with integrated Boost Control Solenoids and speed sensor ports; many of them come with well-designed integral wastegates, and the actuators bolt to the center housing instead of the compressor housing so you can spin the housing to just about any rotation you need; integrated by-pass valve (ie recirculating blow-off valve). They say these features are actually useful and efficient even in high horsepower applications and have OEM/high quality durability. I'm intrigued.

I did a search for EFR and came up empty.

Very cool.Ball bearings to boot. First time I've seen them on a BW. Wish I had one.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see a comparison between the Borg Warner EFR and the new Garrett GTX series; I'm trying to decide between one of the two...

They are still not available to the public. Would be a good comparison. My friend is sponsered and will be getting his within the week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm planning on getting the 6758 unless my current T3/T04E (.63 hot, 57 trim cold) ends up working better than it has so far, when I tune it properly. I'm thinking my current one will be too slow for my autocross needs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seriously considering the 6758 for my build as well. I'm not looking to make a ton of power, but I want a very responsive motor. I love how quickly the stock T3 responds but not how inefficient it is at higher boost levels. I dont like that the 6758 only comes with a T25 flange but I know there are adapters out there for that. To bump up to a T3 flange requires going with the 7064 which seems like far more tubo than I need. A physically smaller turbo appeals to me as well due to the fact that I've got an A/C compressor mounted on that side of the engine too that has to be worked around. Plus the 7064 is about $300 more.

The ~$1500 for a 6758 really doesn't seem that bad considering there is no need for an external wastegate/plumbing (~$2-300), the intergrated BOV makes intercooler pipe routing clean and simple (~100), and the included boost solenoid is just one less thing to buy (~$40) and I can control it with MS (most likely). It was going to cost me at least $7-800 to get my stock turbo rebuilt and turned into a T3/T04E. Or I can spend an extra $6-700 and get a brand new state of the art turbo that should help me better reach my goals with a limited investment in time from me. (Time being the hardest thing for me to come by right now). Hell, I think I may have just talked myself into it. :)

Now the problem may be sourcing one. Most suppliers I've seen so far are out of stock.