Jump to content


Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Luna: The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems


  • Please log in to reply
503 replies to this topic

#501 OldAndyAndTheSea

OldAndyAndTheSea

    Can Charge Rent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationHenderson Harbor, NY

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

Blizzard is upon us. No better excuse than to start a fire and install my brake booster.


Old and busted.

33407524985_151e194e03_k.jpg

32594369753_7120849bdb_k.jpg

33252944312_e7892c3fb5_k.jpg

33403966256_e4fe606c92_k.jpg

33445907755_c63c8bf82e_k.jpg

33406308516_812e06731a_k.jpg

Next step. Confirm pushrod adjustment, then bench bleed and install this mofo

33318727961_d265646295_k.jpg

Hopefully this one doesn't let me down. C'mon baby.


PM me for any composites related inquiries.


#502 OldAndyAndTheSea

OldAndyAndTheSea

    Can Charge Rent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationHenderson Harbor, NY

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

Bench bled the master

33132792100_1af30eda20_k.jpg

Installed...

32673068714_1f7e00c1d1_k.jpg

Tomorrow I will check for leaks, and jack the car up in preparation for bleeding the system again.


Then I'll spend a couple days under the car dialing suspension/alignment settings, installing CVs, filling the diff, etc.....

Then If I've made it that far successfully, then we go about plugging the computer in and see what it does.


C'mon brakes...no leaks.


PM me for any composites related inquiries.


#503 Perfect240z

Perfect240z

    Always Here

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBay Area, Ca

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

Nice work! Keep it up!



#504 OldAndyAndTheSea

OldAndyAndTheSea

    Can Charge Rent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationHenderson Harbor, NY

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Still chasing brake system leaks......The new master is leaking at the adapters for my OEM metric brake lines.....so I'm going to swap in the 3/16 sae fittings - remake the lines (2x 12" sections) - and reinstall..


Other than that...I've been busy.



CVs are installed.

33500247800_67d1b71ecb_k.jpg

33843789476_4e44635ac8_k.jpg

Differential is filled.

33154214204_3af76e9ae7_k.jpg

I wrestled with the tail light panels.

"perfect fit" ...yeah....okay.

33985272025_e9cdb150db_k.jpg

After some chopping...

33985260595_5c2eb9d1dd_k.jpg

I was able to get them mounted. These will work for now, but I'll probably make a set more to my standards.

33867823001_81c46fddf6_k.jpg

33866552151_52db4fd95e_k.jpg


I confirmed timing, and installed the nice valve cover, coils, and other remaining engine components.

33266530843_ff09a42d5e_k.jpg

33948229251_2aa403f1f8_k.jpg

The car fired right up, but is still running very lean, and hunting at idle. Looks just like a vacuum leak.....But, I've taken the intake manifold off a couple times, and believe that it is not a vacuum leak, but instead just insufficient fueling..When I rev the car, the mixture enriches, and will rev very strong and responsive. No hesitation. Only at idle does it hunt......But the serial to usb cable I use to communicate to megasquirt died, and my laptop won't keep a battery charge off of the charger, so I am waiting on some goodies from EFI Analytics - A bluetooth transmitter to transmit automatically to the Shadow Dash app on my tablet. So that's cool. Not as cool as an idling car, but pretty cool nonetheless. It'll be nice not being limited by 2 feet of usb cable.

So once I fix the leak(s) the next step is to test that the driveline works. Currently, I can't get the car in first. I guess I need to investigate the slave cylinder hydraulics.


 
In other, less car related, news I painted the garage. And remade some Whaler pieces that I broke, stupidly, last summer. Getting all the boats ready for Spring.

33177347614_46d18f1e20_k.jpg

33897186192_02988caa72_k.jpg


My brother and I broke the seat back on our Whaler last season. He went airborne and fell into the seat back, snapping it off at the handle holes....This was on its maiden voyage of last year.

So this has bugged the **** out of me since I restored the console.

The old epoxied piece that got me through last season. I used this as a jig for the router.

33670020382_fdba60b1f0_k.jpg

I bought a beautiful 10' long solid mahogany plank and used it as the stock for both a seat back, and a replacement (non plywood) bow locker hatch.

33826178055_90898e70d0_k.jpg

No more handle holes. Or as I call it, "fall into proof"

33441482780_7faa28b980_k.jpg

Bow locker replacement. Unique looking grain. I like it.

33012833163_cdfe2d0938_k.jpg

Chris Craft Mahogany filler stain

33842961015_e5cb60e8f1_k.jpg

And then 6 coats of Epifanes varnish. The first coat is thinned 50% with brushing liquid. The second is thinned 25% and the final coats are thinned at around 10%. The last coat is thinned at 50% once again to really flow nice. Sanded with 220-320 between coats.

33879857796_334a3a477e_k.jpg

33077446374_6451bcbf25_k.jpg

33150927363_0d643afc4d_k.jpg

33834045611_45bc28e60b_k.jpg

still need to tuck those wires...

Next: the whole boat needs a buff, and Ptef treatment. Then she is getting launched. Not too shabby for being 47 years old. Gotta love a classic.



Also, I was given a drone! So look forward to seeing some drone stuff. This will make my sailing and car videos much better.

33077425724_282c970245_k.jpg

The following video is garbage, literally my first flight, in whatever lighting was available. Mainly a test of the gimbal, which works really well.  I've learned so much since this. Very fun!




so stay tuned for that!


Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea, 16 April 2017 - 03:56 PM.

PM me for any composites related inquiries.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users