HybridZ

Taurus fan

Kevin.pk

Mike, I've got the same setup and have completely rewired the car using a EZ-wiring kit.  I ran a 00 gauge wire from the battery to the starter and another 00 gauge wire to a SAAB 4 terminal 60 amp distribution block.  I'm running my headlights off individual terminals on the distribution block for high and low beams with relays, as well as another terminal that feeds the volvo relay for the fan.  I ran my alternator to the feed post on the distribution block as well as another alternator wire back straight to the battery.

The problem I've been chasing, and others have had as well on here that I've read, is the fan pulls so much juice on high that causes my alternator to load so severely that my rpms drop by about 200 every time the fan kicks on.  Everyone in the past has talked about massive alternators and such, I'm just curious as to if you have had this problem as well.

Any info would greatly be appreciated!

Mine is wired about the same as yours, but I also used 00 gauge wire for the battery ground, and engine ground. I don't have the rpm drop

I like your idea of the big terminal distribution center.

If I read correctly you are running a big feed from battery to starter and battery to Distribution Center?

From Alternator to Dist Center AND Alt to Batt?

How are those runs protected from short?

My car now has +Batt direct to starter, block to Gnd, Alternator to Starter

I guess there is no protection there? Or am I missing something.

On account of the Taurus fan no-way fitting in front on an L6 I turned on the drinkin light early...

Contact me for the forthcoming sale of collected parts

You may begin scathing personal attacks now.

Reminder to self: search first

Mine is wired about the same as yours, but I also used 00 gauge wire for the battery ground, and engine ground. I don't have the rpm drop

I also used two 00 ground cables, one from the -bat to starter/block and another one from the front of the engine to the chassis.  Might be time for me to chase some more grounding options.

I like your idea of the big terminal distribution center. If I read correctly you are running a big feed from battery to starter and battery to Distribution Center? From Alternator to Dist Center AND Alt to Batt? How are those runs protected from short? My car now has +Batt direct to starter, block to Gnd, Alternator to Starter I guess there is no protection there? Or am I missing something.

yea, pretty much I have +bat to starter, continuing in 00 gauge cable from starter to dist block. In 10ga wire +alt to +dist block, +alt direct to +bat.

protected from short you say??? Only protection I have is in the back of my head saying don't touch any of 'these' wires to any of 'those' wires.

I should put some inline protection on the 10 gauge stuff and probably will in the future but as far as the 00 gauge cable I'm just going to check it periodically like every other car to make sure its not chaffing on the positive side allowing it to ground on the chassis at any point.

I bought a really cool distribution block from a car stereo place.  It has a cover and all which is required for some racing applications.

Now I have BIG wire from my Alternator to battery and a BIG power supply ready for my next fan du-jour...

Please visit my "Museum of Fan Failure"

post-1894-0-66703700-1365044158_thumb.jpg

I shall now retreat gracefully with my visa bill in hand and revisit the search function.

I just KNOW I am going to get called to the Moderators office for this screwup.

Edited by duragg

I only ran two 10ga wires from my alternator to my Distribution block and another 10ga straight to the battery.  Not sure how much bigger one would necessarily need.

I think my problem may be not enough grounds and/or bad body grounds...or the fact its a junkyard fan :/

On a side note, I like your profile pic! Do you fly for a living or fun?

Edited by redneck1545

I do a little flying for fun and a little for work (which is still fun).

I bought and installed an Arizona Zcar radiator today and abandoned any hope of running the mighty Taurus fan.

But is sure is fun to hook up to the battery...

I think those are ZX guys (not anything wrong with that...)

But the Taurus fan from tip of fan hub, to back of motor cover sits about 1" into the water pump. I even removed radiator and water pump to see if I could mount it and cut holes in the shroud to make pump fit recessed into the shroud. Nah, it no fit.

But man it blows some air!

Just listed my NEW unused fan, Volvo relay and BMW switch on Phoenix Craigslist.

I ran a Taurus fan with my L28 for a while. It required a ton of trimming on the shroud, but it barely cleared the water pump. The only downside was the fact that to remove the fan, the entire radiator had to come out. I think I have some pictures somewhere I could post.

Duragg,

WRCBonk went through the same thing with the fans.  He started with 2 aftermarket pusher fans, then during an RB conversion went to the big taurus 2 speed fan.  I was perusing the local man-mall one day and found the 3.0 liter fords have 2 smaller cooling fans that are a tad bit lower profile.  He ended up making a custom shroud and fitting 2 of the smaller 13" 3.0L ford fans and it's been cooling good since. 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/101003-rb-taurus-fans/

It's worth a read.

Ended up installing the ArizonaZCAR radiator and spent all weekend sealing and ducting my inlet. Went back to my unshrouded mechanical fan and installed a controversial hood vent. This car has become a track only car so my need is cooling at speed.

Will know for sure this weekend after the Saturday HPDE event here in Phoenix.