HybridZ

Quirkie Turn Signal 1982 280zx

oldschool2

I have been pestered by my turn signal not working for 2 years. It works then it does not. It is not the flasher. Sometimes the left turn does not work, sometimes the right turn does not work. 1982 zcars have one flasher that works with the TS and Hazard. Hazard works fine.

The weather has turned cold (for Vegas), temps in the 20 to 50 degree range. Now that it is cold the turn signal works perfect, and has for a couple of weeks.

I can only guess that there is a contraction/expansion going on that affects the TS switch. Any one else ever experienced this TS situation?

I have been pestered by my turn signal not working for 2 years. It works then it does not. It is not the flasher. Sometimes the left turn does not work, sometimes the right turn does not work. 1982 zcars have one flasher that works with the TS and Hazard. Hazard works fine.

The weather has turned cold (for Vegas), temps in the 20 to 50 degree range. Now that it is cold the turn signal works perfect, and has for a couple of weeks.

I can only guess that there is a contraction/expansion going on that affects the TS switch. Any one else ever experienced this TS situation?

Hi, it sounds like your problem is before the switch as the problem is common to both sides of the car. Without looking at the circuit, there is a fusible link, ign. switch and ign. relay,supply fuse , a multi-pin connector and hazard switch, a flasher module and the common flasher switch contact. My best bet is the hazard switch or the connector contacts behind it. Why do you say "It's not the flasher"? In Australia there are two separate flasher units on the '82 280ZX. One for the turn signals and the other for the hazard. Be very careful in saying it's not this or that unless you have used a known good replacement and also checked the contacts for looseness or corrosion.

pcs B)

Hi, it sounds like your problem is before the switch as the problem is common to both sides of the car. Without looking at the circuit, there is a fusible link, ign. switch and ign. relay,supply fuse , a multi-pin connector and hazard switch, a flasher module and the common flasher switch contact. My best bet is the hazard switch or the connector contacts behind it. Why do you say "It's not the flasher"? In Australia there are two separate flasher units on the '82 280ZX. One for the turn signals and the other for the hazard. Be very careful in saying it's not this or that unless you have used a known good replacement and also checked the contacts for looseness or corrosion.

pcs B)

Good Day,

I have bought Two replacement flashers from Nissan Dealers in the USA at $50.00 each. I also have tried a cheap $10.00 one. Results are the same for each. They work then they do not. The USA version of the 1982 280zx definitely has only one Flasher that controls the Hazard and the left / right flasher. Currently everything works. Tomorrow it may not. So far the flashers have worked for about one month. Previously (when hot) they were not working (left turn) for about a month. This has been a cycle going on for three years. Took me awhile to connect the outside temperature (weather) to what was going on. I am looking for a switch to disect. I am not sure as to how the assembly is held together. In other words I am not sure if the switch can be disassembled and then reassembled.

OK,

I've had a look at the US vehicle circuit and it appears you are right. The hazard switch or the plug that connects to it may be worth some close attention. Maybe a squirt of WD40 (or whatever is popular to spray contacts with in the US) certainly won't harm the situation.

If you want to pull the indicator switch out, you will need to take off the steering wheel and shrouds around the top of the steering column (and the metal tube thingo around the ign sw.)and then loosen the main switch assembly retaining bolt and slide the switch up the steering shaft releasing the various plugs at the same time. Once you have it off, turn it over and you will see the various switch modules can be released by undoing a couple of screws. The one you want has 3 male spade connectors sticking out and has 2 retaining screws holding it in place. At worst if you clean and lubricate the contacts, it will be another part of the puzzle ruled out.

pcs B)

ps When you reassemble the covers , don't over-tighten the screws as they will strip the plastic housing.

OK,

I've had a look at the US vehicle circuit and it appears you are right. The hazard switch or the plug that connects to it may be worth some close attention. Maybe a squirt of WD40 (or whatever is popular to spray contacts with in the US) certainly won't harm the situation.

If you want to pull the indicator switch out, you will need to take off the steering wheel and shrouds around the top of the steering column (and the metal tube thingo around the ign sw.)and then loosen the main switch assembly retaining bolt and slide the switch up the steering shaft releasing the various plugs at the same time. Once you have it off, turn it over and you will see the various switch modules can be released by undoing a couple of screws. The one you want has 3 male spade connectors sticking out and has 2 retaining screws holding it in place. At worst if you clean and lubricate the contacts, it will be another part of the puzzle ruled out.

pcs B)

ps When you reassemble the covers , don't over-tighten the screws as they will strip the plastic housing.

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed information. Nice to get a reply that actually explains something.

WD 40 (WD = Water Displacement) is big in the USA. Royal Putple Maxfilm is a newer (and much more expensive option).