HybridZ

Should my clutch fork have tension on it after pulling the slave cylinder?

FiveSeventyZee

I've been working on setting up my clutch with a Wilwood master and slave cylinder combo but I just realized after taking the old slave off that the clutch fork just moves back and forth with no resistance. shouldn't it have tension pulling it towards the engine?

this is on a t5 with a chevy 350. I have never driven the car as I bought it as a project in non running condition

okay well i thought it might have been moving beyond its normal travel because i had the transmission pulled back about 2 inches so i just went on with my slave and master replacement anyways. I got the new slave and master in and bled today and the fork doesnt flop around like it did before. it stays in its place and the clutch is engaged with the flywheel.

however when i press the pedal to disengage the transmission it'll move for a bout an inch of pedal travel before it gets incredibly stiff so much that if i force the pedal down the firewall moves. this is how it all felt before i installed the new hydraulics and now im thinking either i have a broken pressure plate and the fingers are jammed or something or the throwout bearing is the thin type and its supposed to be the thicker one.

does that sound right to anyone? is there any way i can test? should i be able to push in the pressure plate fingers with my hands?

...however when i press the pedal to disengage the transmission it'll move for about an inch of pedal travel before it gets incredibly stiff so much that if i force the pedal down the firewall moves. ...

That's not good.

...this is how it all felt before i installed the new hydraulics and now im thinking either i have a broken pressure plate and the fingers are jammed or something or the throwout bearing is the thin type and its supposed to be the thicker one.

Any one or more of those posibly.

...should i be able to push in the pressure plate fingers with my hands?

No.

I think you should consider pulling it apart to take a closer look. I have the same set up and it's out of the car and apart at the moment. If you can't find any damaged or wrongly installed parts (like a clutch disk installed backwards)and you want to compare set ups I don't live that far from Corte Madera. Also, what size master and slaves are you using? Is it the stock Camaro slave?

if i were to pull it apart what exactly might i be looking for? I did notice that where the pressure plate fingers meet the housing there were scratches and scoring that i thought might cause them to bind up. That's the only reason why I mentioned the fingers getting jammed. Could that scoring there cause the pressure plate to get stuck?

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while and I haven't had time to work on the car however I have had some time to do some research about what clutch parts work together to try to see if any of my parts don't and I noticed on summit's website when looking for throwout bearings one of the options to narrow the search is the pressure plate type. I do remember that my pressure plate is the kind with 3 wide fingers rather than the usual diaphragm style deal.

Am I supposed to have a special throwout bearing for that style pressure plate? How thick/tall should the throwout bearing be? I know there are 2 different ones that GM used...

thanks to anyone who can help