HybridZ

Series 2 PTU failures?

BLOZ UP

'92 TT, having misfiring issues while driving (only). It's exhibiting Series 1 PTU failure symptoms--but it has the service campaign PTU, the series 2. Multiple cylinder misfires, or complete loss of all cylinders during driving. Way more prominent when you get on it.

Checking the harness and alarm as well.

Anyone have a series 2 fail?

Edited by BLOZ UP

I was having similar problems with my 93 NA and fixed most of it by cleaning the PTU wiring harness plugs/contacts. I also eliminated 2 of the plugs by splicing and soldering the wires when I relocated my PTU under the nose where the old airbox used to be.

Cleaned it and reinstalled. Symptoms went away for a day, then out of the blue it died completely while cruising. Had to cycle the key to get it to restart. Died again further on the way home, cycled and it came back. Then sputtered the rest of the mile back home.

Wondering if it may be the harness or something. Will see if I can get another PTU to test tomorrow.

Edited by BLOZ UP

Have you bypassed the recall subharness?

The connector on the harness side is not sealed, and will show heavy, heavy corrosion. I bypassed the subharness (spliced the new harness terminations into the main EFI harness), and had no more misfires.

I also relocated the PTU into the footwell near the ECU, but that's probably a little beyond the scope of your current issue. ;)

Have you bypassed the recall subharness?

The connector on the harness side is not sealed, and will show heavy, heavy corrosion. I bypassed the subharness (spliced the new harness terminations into the main EFI harness), and had no more misfires.

I also relocated the PTU into the footwell near the ECU, but that's probably a little beyond the scope of your current issue. ;)

No I haven't. I just checked the PTU plugs and one of the two plugs on the harness side. After I posted I checked the other one, full of corrosion, like you said. I've cleaned it up, but haven't had time to test. I have a good feeling about it, though. Tons of corrosion.

Edited by BLOZ UP

Well, I found the problem. It was a combination of one of the the PTU harness connectors, and the CTS connector. I've eliminated that PTU subharness connectors like someone above mentioned, and will go to the Z yard to try and grab a CTS connector.

The CTS does not look so bad corrosion wise, but the female terminals have spread open and aren't making good contact. Depending on how you whack the harness the car will run/miss/stall, and I was confusing it with the PTU harness.

So, problem solved.

Edited by BLOZ UP

I went ahead and did just that actually. The CAS also had a bad connection. So, it was a combination of PTU, CTS, and CAS. At least the CTS for the instrument panel seems to be working. Basically it was everything I disconnected to do the timing belt. Go figure.