ROVdriver

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like you didn't have to do any cutting / sectioning of the oil pan? I saw on some other 1UZ swap threads that large chunks of the oil pan need to be sectioned out and welded back in. So on a left hand drive car, the engine fits without any clearance issues. 

Are motor mounts pretty simple like the LSx, just fab up mounts that bolt to the factory Datsun holes and the 1UZ mounts? 

Any other clearance issues, steering, crossmembers, brake cylinders to worry about?

This looks like the way to go, I've been toying with the idea of LSx swap, but was never really keen about a truck motor in a light quick car like the Z. 

Looks like you didn't have to do any cutting / sectioning of the oil pan? I saw on some other 1UZ swap threads that large chunks of the oil pan need to be sectioned out and welded back in. So on a left hand drive car, the engine fits without any clearance issues. 

Are motor mounts pretty simple like the LSx, just fab up mounts that bolt to the factory Datsun holes and the 1UZ mounts? 

Any other clearance issues, steering, crossmembers, brake cylinders to worry about?

This looks like the way to go, I've been toying with the idea of LSx swap, but was never really keen about a truck motor in a light quick car like the Z. 

mounts:

http://www.1uzfeswapkit.com/Steel-UHMW-Mount-for-the-1UZFE-MkIII-Supra-Engine-PAIR-0000-0007.htm

flanges on the stock exhaust manifold need to be cut of and lengthened. other than that the sc400 motor fits like it was made to be in there.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Car looks great on track.

I currently run a 240z with standard 1jz which generally get used on track now so I'm building a mild 240 as a runaround. Couldnt think of a better engine than one from this family so bought myself a 3uz-fe with auto box, loom, ecu and all the little bit I thought I'd need. I've had it running for a bit on the floor while I finish the wiring ready to put it in the car. I'm now getting to the stage of engine mounts and in all the threads I've read, noone mentions them in any detail or show any pictures of what they have done. I'm not sure why but I'm thinking they are not easy. I have a front sump engine from a GS430 and getting a rear/mid sump is proving very difficult. I've taken a few measurements and think I can get away with the front sump but it's very close and the engine will need to be just off the baulkhead. Any chance you could take some pice of the mounts and how the sump clears the crossmember?

Thanks

John

• 1 month later...

Rear sumps are really a mid sump(they don't go that far back)

The one on the right in the pic  is from a 3UZ  I put into a 928, on the left is early 1990's 1UZ (soarer? ls400?) I picked up to experiment with.

as you  probably already know , 1UZ, 3UZ sumps are interchangeable,

post-1944-0-14756700-1480125022_thumb.jpg

post-1944-0-34375200-1480125500_thumb.jpg

Edited by RUSSJZ-ZED