HybridZ

How much did your salvage yard LS1/T56 cost?

Hey OP I feel your pain. I'm really not that concerned with any of the aluminum LSx engines since the cost never sees to out weigh the benefits of going with the iron block... I would seriously consider the 5.3 and 6.0. That being said, the T 56 is always a problem cost wise. Like many others have stated the cheapest route seems to be waiting until somebody off loads one on LS1tech.com or searching craigs list for months for a deal. I had one in a 96 vette and I have to say I was not impressed with the shifting one bit. I will be taking a closer look at the TKO 600 because it's lighter, costs roughly the same, and from what I have read shifts smoother than the t56. Note that last comment is pure out of my ass since I have not thrown a single gear in one.

I also researched the T-45 out of late model muskrats that Keisler offers with a gm input shaft but the first gear seems too deep but if you were running a high rear gear it wouldn't be an issue IMO.

Good luck and post up what you find. I'm always pinching pennies and have never been a fan of purchasing any items I can't put my hands on.

Maybe a Trail Blazer???

"An SS model was introduced for the 2006 model year. This was the first time a production SUV wore the Super Sport badge.[5] This TrailBlazer came standard with a 6.0 L LS2 V8 based on the same engine that comes standard in the 2005-2006 Pontiac GTO. The LS2 is rated at 395 hp (295 kW) with 400 lb·ft (540 N·m) of torque and can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in an estimated 5.8 seconds with quarter mile times around 14.2 seconds at 100 mph (160.9 km/h). Other differences entail the use of a 4-speed automatic transmission, a cold air intake package, a 4.10 ratio limited slip rear differential, a ZQ8 sport suspension, specially designed front brakes with brake pads similar to those found on the Corvette, and optional all-wheel drive (via a Torsen T-3 center differential)."