HybridZ

Why did you decide to stay with the Datsun L6 motor?

logan1

My 280Z is my first car. I've had my Z 10 years now. When I got it, it had a ZX L28. It was loads of fun to drive with nice power and a nice sound. I did some upgrades like brakes and suspension, but mostly left the motor alone since I was intimidated by the cost of building an NA motor. Slowly I started to desire a boosted motor and dreamed about both turbo and/or supercharged L28 in my Z. I lucked upon a 280ZX turbo donor car and my plans started to take shape. I wanted an intercooler, I wanted Megasquirt, and I kept going back and forth between a stock bottom end, and slightly higher compression with stock pistons. In the end, making the swap easier determined that I would just leave the bottom end in the car while we did the swap (swapping head, intake, turbo, wiring harness).

I've loved every minute with the Z since that swap (well before too, but even more since). A boosted inline 6 was just what the doctor ordered. Upgraded the compressor side, upgraded the injectors and did a few other things. And most of the time it is fast enough for me. I'm guessing it's around 250hp or so. Of course sometimes I wish I had 300 or 400 or whatever, but like I said, 250 is good enough for me most of the time. I think I get most of the satisfaction from driving it and knowing that I've touched almost every part on the car. And knowing that the car has it's original motor makes me happy too. I know the turbo isn't exactly original, but Nissan did make an L28ET and the basic block etc are close enough to what came in the 280Z originally.

I love how easy it is to work on. Fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs. So easy to access. Of course having had the car so long has really let me learn about the whole car and that knowledge has helped me appreciate the Z.

I really love the sound of the turbo L28 too. Hearing the turbo spool is nice, and I go back and forth between different exhausts depending on what I feel. Sometimes I feel the need to drop the whole exhaust and run just the dump pipe (actually have added a resonator just off the downpipe for these times when I need a louder sound). Of course this is a the easiest way to impress others too and running no exhaust is good way to get people to ask what's under the hood. Of course I happily impress them by telling them it's the stock L28 with a turbo. Most people expect a V8 or something. I like having an inline 6 because it's not really the norm. I really like the inline 6 setup and power band though, I like the BMW I6s too.

So in short, it's nice to be original, nice to be different, and nice to have the power and sound from the L28.

I still have the l6 because of limitations by scca rules for autocrossing. I have too much money into the motor now to ever change it. I am also nostalgic wich is part of the reason I autocross in the class I do. Power will always be limited but I am concentrating on weight now instead.

it's prob been said, but i kept it because it can be made pretty darn fast, i also like competing with newer cars using the old motor, once i throw in a ls1, then i'm really no different than the vette i'm racing down the strip...but to beat it using a 30 year old straight six motor...that really puts a smile on my face.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't have a 240z yet, just curious.

Always thought that when I pickup my Z I'll have a SR20 swap planned, and for one reason: weight distribution. For those of you autocrossing, what engine would you prefer? A turbo L28, or a SR20?

Always thought that when I pickup my Z I'll have a SR20 swap planned, and for one reason: weight distribution. For those of you autocrossing, what engine would you prefer? A turbo L28, or a SR20?

A lot of people will say SR20 for the reason you just stated.

Always thought that when I pickup my Z I'll have a SR20 swap planned, and for one reason: weight distribution.

Then you need to do some searching here. A set back L6 will have its weight distribution within 1% (or less) of an SR20DET swap.

A lot of people will say SR20 for the reason you just stated.

It easily puts down the kind of power I'll be happy with on such a light chassis, and the thought a (basically) mid-engined 240 is incredible.

Then you need to do some searching here. A set back L6 will have its weight distribution within 1% (or less) of an SR20DET swap.

I was hoping someone would mention this, as I thought I read this somewhere (but seemed too good to be true). I've seen 2 240z' in my life, and only one with the hood up and didn't think to check for this. From the pictures however, it's hard to picture.

Is there a mount kit in existence, or are the only ones around custom jobs? Firewall modifications?

Seriously interested, as if we pickup the house we're looking at I'll finally have a garage to store a Z, and I might have a more serious look at the L28 swapped Zs I see keep popping up.

Edited by Split98

Our stock 240z has 51% of the weight on the front. I know that because we paid to have it weighted for corner weights. It is also within 30 pounds on the diagonal weights. And that is stock without us adjusting anything.

I have not done any auto-cross driving, I am into road racing (on a track). For auto-crossing you would be better off with a motor that provides good low-end torque. The stock N/A L24 has that torque. Adding a turbo takes away from that nice low end torque. I assume that a small 4-banger will not have the low-end torque of the bigger L24.

When you do get a 240z, drive it for a while before you make the decision to loose a good and proven motor. The L24 can be built to provide 250 HP. In a car that can be lightened to 2200 pounds or so, 250 HP is a lot of power-to-weight ratio.

Our stock 240z has 51% of the weight on the front. I know that because we paid to have it weighted for corner weights. It is also within 30 pounds on the diagonal weights. And that is stock without us adjusting anything.

I have not done any auto-cross driving, I am into road racing (on a track). For auto-crossing you would be better off with a motor that provides good low-end torque. The stock N/A L24 has that torque. Adding a turbo takes away from that nice low end torque. I assume that a small 4-banger will not have the low-end torque of the bigger L24.

When you do get a 240z, drive it for a while before you make the decision to loose a good and proven motor. The L24 can be built to provide 250 HP. In a car that can be lightened to 2200 pounds or so, 250 HP is a lot of power-to-weight ratio.

Nice! Thanks a bunch bud.

Only reason I'm so concerned about swapping before I even buy the car is that I keep seeing a bunch of L28 swapped 240zs pop up. So, I keep wondering if I should be looking harder at those... or if the engine is irrelevant (if I just end up swapping in a SR20 anyway).

Only issues I have with the L24 is the carbs. I've never owned or worked on a carb before, and would feel a lot more comfortable with an EFI L28 running a modern EMS.

That video posted earlier of the L6 ripping really has me leaning back to a keeping the inline-6. That thing sounded phenomenal. Though I'm sure the SR20 should be a great engine still for autocross in a car as light as the Z (though you're right, the low torque of a L6 would be much better), it'll never sound like that.

Edited by Split98

Good replies. As others have stated, the 240Z is fairly well balanced right out of the box. Any coilovers would allow you to corner balance the 240Z very easily.

My autocrosser (early '71) has a 50.1% front weight bias and 50.0% corner balance @ 2300 lbs (including driver) with 5 gals in a stock fuel tank, composite hood and hatch, lightened seats and battery. Stock dash, R180 diff (slightly forward, in the early 240Z style).

If you honestly believe you will want to autocross your Z, I highly suggest you familiarize yourself with SCCA classes if not already an autocrosser. It doesn't take many mods before you're in a "wrung whatcha brung" class (either the street legal SSM or dedicated racecar XP classes) and are expected to beat all production cars in your 197x Datsun, which would/should never happen. The 240Z isn't out of place in the BSP class, but won't quite keep up with the S2000s. The 240Z can dominate FP, but that is a very regulated race car class.

My 2 cents, turbo cars are less than ideal for autocross. You'll have to end up leading your throttle inputs to keep the turbo spooled and torque at the standby, I don't care how minimal the turbo lag is. Power isn't everything, it will likely take years before you can keep pace with a 135hp miata driven well on DOTs. Around 200 whp, in my experience, the 240Z will have more power-to-weight than an autocross course will allow you to put down to the floor (on 225mm DOTs, anyway).

The point of all this is if you are going to autocross your Z, then I suggest you accept very early on that you may never, ever dominate your class as you might hope. If that's the case (as it is for me!), then in the end you won't care what class you're in over your head in -- you will simply love your car and have a blast driving the piss out of it. B)

If that's the case, then figure out what ultimate 'HybridZ' gets your blood boiling and work toward it! :2thumbs:

Edited by zredbaron

Great advice for sure, and amazing news about corner balancing perfection without an SR20.

I really do need to check my local rules, as the 240z will definitely see a lot of autocross (and maybe some track fun days). But, no, I'm not expecting to win much in a 197x. I'll have to check my own local rules, but does yours allow a L28 240z in BSP (I'll assume that FP is out of the question... even though they are very similar factory engines).

Edited by Split98

Great advice for sure, and amazing news about corner balancing perfection without an SR20.

I really do need to check my local rules, as the 240z will definitely see a lot of autocross (and maybe some track fun days). But, no, I'm not expecting to win much in a 197x. I'll have to check my own local rules, but does yours allow a L28 240z in BSP (I'll assume that FP is out of the question... even though they are very similar factory engines).

off the top of my head, last time I checked official SCCA classing, 3000cc displacement is the magic detail. basically if you don't have a stroker, any Z engine combination is allowed up to 3.0L for both BSP and FP.

basic [national] SCCA classing and allowable mods for S30s (other than stock):

BSP - suspension, seats, camber plates, electronic ignition, etc

SSM - BSP allowances plus > 3.0L engine, turbo, V-8, composite hood, etc.

FP - full slicks, significant weight reduction, chassis stiffening, fender flares, etc.

XP - FP allowances plus > 3.0L engine, turbo, V-8, etc.

Well setup S30s dominate FP at the national level. They won't make the cut in any other class at the level. FWIW.

Edited by zredbaron

When me and my brother decided to start road racing, we bought a Datsun 240z. We wanted a car with good track potential that wouldn't break the bank. We looked at a lot of cars, including non-240z's before I found the one I had to have. It had been garaged for the last tens years and only ran on starting fluid, but, it had never been wrecked or modified and had NO RUST. And we got it for a lot less than some heaps I had seen.

After we got it home we started doing more research on the history of the 240z. The Datsun 240z dominated it's class in the 70's. In it's SCCA class, it was up against BMW, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, and other well respected sports cars. The 240z beat them all. The $2500 240z was eating $50,000 Porsche's. Yes it had some mods done to it, but so had all the other cars it was up against.

Watch the video for some sweet history. It is about 30 minutes long and is high enough quality that you can watch in full screen.

Since buying my R30 i've fallen in love with the sound of the L-series, a pissed-off sounding, dirty grumble at idle, an equally angry, lumpy sounding bark all through the mid range and the howl at the top end of the rev range is (in my opionion at least) totally unique among Nissan's 6 cylinders, it's converted me from the RB side of the fence anyway. That, and the ''what motor's that'' look of intrigue on peoples faces when you pop the bonnet, always good for a laugh.