HybridZ

460ZGT Project Build

yellowoctupus

I hadn't thought of blowing sideways to the ports, interested to see how it works for you.

So, after further reading, I found the HP rating they give each intercooler tube is not rated on btus, but rather by shear air flow.  If they are arranged all in a row as I showed above, they'll only support 150x2=300hp instead of 150x4=600hp.  Oops.  I'm redesigning it now, having the tubes placed between the heads into the valley a little.  Things are super tight with these heads.

4.png

I also did some "porting" to one of the IMRC blocks, which I'm using to reduce the crazy machining time I'll already have into this manifold.

5.png

The highlighted part is one of the IMRC blocks.  Getting the butterflies out was pretty easy.  Since I'm not using them again, i just knocked off the screw heads with a chisel.  Sounds cro-magnon, I know, but they're all covered in carbon and are a PITA to get out with a screwdriver.

Edited by yellowoctupus

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too exciting for the readers out there, but I NEED to have my heater/ defrosters hooked up, it's lame driving around in insulated coveralls and wiping the windshield from the inside every few minutes with a handkerchief to see...

The short version of the story is the heater / firewall pass-throughs put the hoses directly into the back of the block, so I cut the ends (~1.2") off, and soldered 90° Copper 1/2" elbows on.  Also, the hose part number is a Napa/ Gates 10777 (for my reference).  About 3" long, 3" diameter 180° elbow 5/8" both ends.  I had also cut off the Ford steel lines on the back of the block prior to installing the engine, and the ends were MUCH larger, and I believe, different sizes for some reason.  (Go Ford....)

On a 78 with AC, the pass through is a single tube for the passenger line, and a vacuum operated valve for the other.  Of course the valve had to be disassembled to solder it without damaging the seals, but it also had to remain disassembled in order to get it through the firewall.  Not fun putting it back together way up under the dash, but not terrible either.

So far, I pressure tested the lines with air into a bucket of water and everything seemed ok, I'll bleed the system tomorrow and hopefully will see no weird leaks anywhere.  This car now has 6 heater hoses I think.  Cute. 

IMG_9334.jpg

ALSO, I've started mocking up some of the 8.8 IRS swap parts, making layout jigs for when i make 'real' new a-arms etc.  I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to immobilize the bottom of the strut, but I have a few ideas.  Hopefully I can dig out old heim joints and what not laying around the shop to make mockup parts on the cheap. 

IMG_9328.jpg

IMG_9329.jpg

Edited by yellowoctupus

Another note, FLOWABLE SILICONE like this stuff from Permatex is the BOMB.  I was planning on redoing my windshield and rear hatch glass gaskets, as they're so old that water weeps past the glass/rubber sealing surface.  Not anymore!  It's a small tube (like rtv size) but I did my Mustang, the Z and a window on my Willys with no problems.  You cut the tip as small as possible, run a tiny bead next to the glass/rubber and it is seriously un-noticable.  It goes on so freakin smooth, and it does 'find' leaks, as it flows (I'm guessing capillary action?) into the joints where it's leaking.  This is NOTHING like silicone caulk or RTV.  So far so good. For $5 I don't have to change out all of my gaskets?  Yeah, I think so.

k2-_04b575cf-1e61-4817-a624-fb1bc2af254e

Started cutting metal today! I got all of my tubes resized (I know, crazy).  I couldn't find any al tubing in the size I needed, so I bought some 1.75/1.5 tubes off eBay, then reamed the inside out to 1-9/16, which is in the middle of the tolerance given by Laminova.  I don't know why they didn't just specify 1.5 for the tube size, and drop the diameter of their parts back from there.  Whatever.  Reaming the tubes took a LONG time, as I took it all off in one pass, and you can only grip the tube so tight on the other end before distorting the shape, or so light that it slips.  So, there was a learning curve, but the intercooler cores fit GREAT now.

IMG_9351.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

I also 'ported' the second IMRC today, so we'll see if I can get my end plates cut and maybe welded up too.

Edited by yellowoctupus

Made endplates, first hole sawed them rough, then used my poor mans boring bar (a mill bit...) to size them to a slip fit.

Clamped up on the intake, things look good. Mockups are great, as they open up a lot more ideas.  I think I'm going to change a few details pertaining to the air coming out of the lower two intercoolers, but nothing rash or drastic.

IMG_9360.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9363.jpg

IMG_9364.jpg

IMG_9365.jpg

41.png

Edited by yellowoctupus

Kenne Bell Superchargers are pretty weird to take apart, and almost everybody shys away from doing it themselves because of a few 'special tools' and timing the gears to the rotors.  This guy is the only one to have pictures up online I can find, but does a pretty good job with details.  Don't want to lose this link.... http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php/168234-has-anyone-rebuilt-a-kenne-bell

• 2 months later...

So, the aluminum Ford used in their intake castings is funky stuff. I could get it to puddle up ok when TIG welding one minute, move down an inch and just the slightest heat would bring up all kinds of funky crap in the metal making it basically unweldable. At least for me.  So, I went back to the drawing board (literally) and did an overlay of the CTS-V supercharger I have now vs the Mark VIII B Heads and it just won't work.  They're SORTA close, but that's not close enough.  It would be interesting to see how close it would be vs a C head, but I don't have any of those so...oh well.

FAIL BELOW....

Bhead_toCTSVSUpercharger.png

I'm at the point now where I think I'm going to make the entire manifold by hand ( no re-using castings, etc) and mount the Eaton M122 upside down.  Should be interesting...

Edited by yellowoctupus

Oh, so here's the M122 I'm working with, it's from a STS-V.  I paid just under $400 for the unit shipped to my door, and it's brand new.  Maybe a new take off?  No indication of a belt ever being run on the pulley etc. Comes with the four Laminova intercooler tubes mounted up top too.  Neat little 2fer. 

s-l1600_1.jpg

X06PT-PP010.jpg

PS, This guy has some awesome pictures of this SC on his website, they look like Chrysler stock photos, but I'll cite him, as that's where I got them from.  STS SUPERCHARGER + LAMINOVA INTERCOOLER CORES

I got some injectors too, they're from a supercharged AMG.  PN's to follow later...

Edited by yellowoctupus

Your doing some awesome work. I can't wait to hear it run.

Thanks!  

This is definitely a two steps forward, one step back kind of project, but it's still fun because I get to do more design and fab work than normal.  Thankfully I have that extra Mark VIII engine in my garage, so all of the mockup/ measurement work isn't keeping my Z from driving around.  I'd really like to minimize any more downtime in the future.  When I did my first V8 swap on my Z, it was out of commission for 7 or 8 months.  :o

Well I've had health problems, and other vehicle problems, that have kept me from getting mine done. I know what you mean two steps forward and back. Sometimes I took two or three back and then forward again. My problem is that I kept getting more and more extreme on mine. The only thing that's Datsun now is the shell, the rest is Ford or I've done like you, and made the parts.  

• 1 month later...

Finally I have wheels I can balance on the car!!  My front wheels were stock 14" rims that were so close to the brakes that I couldn't run balance weights in there.  That sucked.  I've been driving them unbalanced for a long time, and while it's only noticable at 45mph, I'm no longer doing 150mi a day on the highway.  Almost all of my driving nowadays is 'around town' speeds and the wobble was driving me crazy.  Anyways, I picked up a set of 16x8 Centerline Thrusters from another Z guy on Craigslist.  The tires are significantly smaller in the rear compared to my old HUGE ones, so it has a much more agressive gear ratio again, but that will change when I get my 8.8 installed...someday. 

Only issue I had was instead of 4" backspacing, or even 4.5 which would work fine, these have 5" of backspacing which totally makes the WHEEL hit the spring perch on the front strut.  Wah wah.....  my 1/4" spacer came to the rescue.  I'm not delighted I had to use the spacer, but it's cool I already had them.  The car rides like it's on a cloud.  You take 'balanced wheels' for granted unless you've driven the last....30k mi with wobbly fronts....

DSC04277.jpg

Edited by yellowoctupus

Well it looks good with those wheels. I hope to be back on mine before long. My health got me down for awhile, and now I have two other projects, or rather rebuild a 4.6l and reinstall in my Van, and get my truck to pass the emissions to get it back on the road.

• 8 months later...

One excruciatingly slow step forward...

New parts are in. I decided against using my Paxton (A1000) fuel pump, and instead found a guy on Craigslist selling a dual GLS392 setup.  I'll probably run them both mounted together, but only run one pump at a time.  I'd be lucky to hit 500hp, (rough rating for each fuel pump) let  alone 1000hp (rating for two!).  

15940773_10207055861748851_4542431659984

AND, I got a GT500 M122 which will be much easier than the Whipple I started with, and the Caddy SC I was using next along the line.

mQmSlkxF0hcoeKPQWTID4kw.jpg

One of these days I'll stop screwing around with these: 

200x.png

IMG_4162.jpg

And get back to the Z. 

z.jpg

Edited by yellowoctupus

• 4 months later...