HybridZ

Any info on this car?

I have seen this car around before, but looking around has turned up only the same photos. I am almost sure this guy is running 9" watanabe r types in the rear with no flares, which is what I want to do. His plate says Washington, refreshing to know he is local (I don't speak Japanese haha).

Thanks for any info you point me towards...

post-3338-081452700 1296175736_thumb.jpg

post-3338-023484900 1296175748_thumb.jpg

post-3338-041998700 1296175760_thumb.jpg

post-3338-076644500 1296175767_thumb.jpg

I stumbled onto another forum he belongs to where someone asked him what wheel and tire size he's running. The wheels are actually 8.5 all around, I believe it's a 205 50 16 up front and a 225 50 16 out back.

Edited by DeLorean

From what I can find, the 8.5s only come in one offset, -6.

Arrghhh, I can't figure what I want to do. Either run a 9 with 205s in the rear and 8 in the front, or go the safe route and run 8s with 225. I understand why Hybrid doesn't like stretched tires, so rip on me if you must, but I really think some cars, S30s in particular pull it off well. I'm not going to track the car (for now) and it's no longer my daily.

However, first I have to come up with the money for these wheels anyway before I start dreaming haha.

A lot of the S30s I'm seeing on the japanese Watanabe site are running 205s on a 9 inch wheel, and it doesn't look bad at all.

It doesn't have anything to do with looks, its about safety and going against a tires manufactured design. The correct tire for a 9 inch wheel would be about 235-255. If you stretch a tire on a rim you run the possibility of ruining a rim with curb rash and having the tire fail which could also ruin you wheel. The reason most tires on watanabes you see are stretched is because there isn't a large selection of wide 16" tires anymore, or people can't afford the "closer to right size" tire or any other number of reasons such as trying to get a wider rim to fit under stock fenders without correct modification. If a tire shop won't put a tire on a rim because its to skinny or warn you about it before they do it or make you sign a waiver there is a reason you shouldn't do it.

Edited by 19762802+2

If that's the case I'm surprised all of those people haven't died yet.

Sure none of them have died, or at least you haven't heard about it, but what happens when your bead pops off because it was stretched beyond safety requirements by tire manufacturers because you hit a pothole, or your tire blows out because your tire was slightly low on air causing it to run on the sidewall (which does not have steel cord and can ripe apart easily at high speed, high temperature etc.) and it blows out you lose control because you don't have the contact patch you should have and you slide into a group of kids or another car on the road. How are you going to explain to your insurance company that you caused an accident because you thought the tire looked good stretched. Are they going to give you any money to pay for the damage if they knew it was your fault? Sure their are lots of variables and different ways this could happen but why chance it? You can do whatever you want but their will always be a consequence for your action. Its been debated thousands of times of stretched tires are unsafe and a unwise choice. I would just rather drive safely and within the requirements of my tires because I don't feel like risking my life or others for a "look" that has no performance gains.

Whatever you wanna do man its your car. If you wanna stretch tires and slam the crap out of it to make it look sick standing still its all you. I prefer to drive my car and not have to worry about memorizing every bump and dip to and from a destination =P. Everyone has different style and plans for their car its whatever makes you feel good at the end of the day, so don't worry too much about internet opinons.

Edited by ashintar

I see where both sides are coming from to an extent. I promise, I'm not one of those "hella jdm bro" guys. I don't want my car slammed, I also don't want my wheels poking like hell from my tires. I do want an aggressive wheel fitmant, but I am unwilling to cut my fenders.

Like I said, I want the best of both worlds and I'm gonna have to just make up my mind. I really think 9" watanabes can fit under non flared fenders. I just haven't found an example yet.

I see where both sides are coming from to an extent. I promise, I'm not one of those "hella jdm bro" guys. I don't want my car slammed, I also don't want my wheels poking like hell from my tires. I do want an aggressive wheel fitmant, but I am unwilling to cut my fenders.

Like I said, I want the best of both worlds and I'm gonna have to just make up my mind. I really think 9" watanabes can fit under non flared fenders. I just haven't found an example yet.

With coilovers 9" rims with the right offset and a 245 width tire, fender rolling (maybe trimming) and you could probably do it. also I saw a post about the picture in your first post by the guy who owns the car and he is running 16x7 panasports on the track and 16x8.5 watanabes on the road but I believe he is also running s13 suspension as well.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/87272-post-pics-of-your-zs-here/page__view__findpost__p__917596

Edited by 19762802+2

4252546114_973eafa599.jpg

simmons3 par Antoine de Cardaillac, sur Flickr

10 inch wheel under my stock fenders... tyres was 225\50\16. So yes a 9 inch wheel can fit under the stock fenders but be sure to have coilovers and roll your fender.

I didn't ran my car like this because my rear calipers from my brake upgrade was too large so I needed spacers to keep these wheels so I did put fender flares finally... I can not comment on the rubbing issue of this 10 inch setup with 225 tyres (Wich I think would rub quite heavily...) Maybe with a little bit of fender pulling, it can be acceptable? who knows?

Hope it can help you a little!

Edited by 280z"Vador"

4252546114_973eafa599.jpg

simmons3 par Antoine de Cardaillac, sur Flickr

10 inch wheel under my stock fenders... tyres was 225\50\16. So yes a 9 inch wheel can fit under the stock fenders but be sure to have coilovers and roll your fender.

I didn't ran my car like this because my rear calipers from my brake upgrade was too large so I needed spacers to keep these wheels so I did put fender flares finally... I can not comment on the rubbing issue of this 10 inch setup with 225 tyres (Wich I think would rub quite heavily...) Maybe with a little bit of fender pulling, it can be acceptable? who knows?

Hope it can help you a little!

whats the offset?