HybridZ

Z Flare Kit Fiberglass

Danish240Z

Hello!

Is there anyone here using the newer MSA flares: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA02/50-1565

I don't like the bolts and the fender work of the ZG flares (and to much racer look, for my car).

It seems like the new ones only requires some automotive grade double stick tape and adhesive.

Anyone tried mounting them? (pictures?)

Thank you!

- Sebastian

Denmark

post-13867-015470900 1296589206_thumb.jpg

I just read the MSA ad and I'm not sure what they mean by "faux bolt-on cutouts" on the ZG flares. Almost every ZG flare I have seen on this forum is actually bolted on--that gives the owner the utility of removing them very easily if they need to for any reason. To bond them on means permanently installing them. If that is the case, then blending them in almost seems like a better idea. However, you may actually like the look of these, so I won't say anything negative; they do look OK. The one good thing I see is that they can be painted separately from the car, and this is very important if you already have a good paint job and wish to not need to repaint the entire car, which would need to be done with blending in flares to the body.

Read about some of the issues regarding the ZG flares in general--they have been designed using an old mold, which has made them inconsistent in the product. Usually, work needs to be done on them prior to installation anyway, so I wonder just how these would fare instead of the ZG flares? If the mold they use is new, great, but if it is old, then I suspect you would have at least a little work to do to them before the final install. Somehow, everyone seems to make their flares fit the car ;) Maybe someone who is using them will chime in.

Davy

If you're not cutting the body for extra tire clearance, don't put flares on the car. If you do, you won't be able to put the bigger wheels on that would fill up the flares, because when the suspension compresses the tires will hit the original fender lip. It's kind of like putting a hat on top of your hat. Pointless.

I just read the MSA ad and I'm not sure what they mean by "faux bolt-on cutouts" on the ZG flares. Almost every ZG flare I have seen on this forum is actually bolted on--that gives the owner the utility of removing them very easily if they need to for any reason. To bond them on means permanently installing them. If that is the case, then blending them in almost seems like a better idea. However, you may actually like the look of these, so I won't say anything negative; they do look OK. The one good thing I see is that they can be painted separately from the car, and this is very important if you already have a good paint job and wish to not need to repaint the entire car, which would need to be done with blending in flares to the body.

Read about some of the issues regarding the ZG flares in general--they have been designed using an old mold, which has made them inconsistent in the product. Usually, work needs to be done on them prior to installation anyway, so I wonder just how these would fare instead of the ZG flares? If the mold they use is new, great, but if it is old, then I suspect you would have at least a little work to do to them before the final install. Somehow, everyone seems to make their flares fit the car ;) Maybe someone who is using them will chime in.

Thank you very much, useful information! :)

Davy

If you're not cutting the body for extra tire clearance, don't put flares on the car. If you do, you won't be able to put the bigger wheels on that would fill up the flares, because when the suspension compresses the tires will hit the original fender lip. It's kind of like putting a hat on top of your hat. Pointless.

Okay :unsure:

I have thought of the flares as a body kit. As written before, i don't wanna cut my fenders - will give my car rust.

Maybe i should just drop them, what about flares without wider wheels? Do that look stupid? Is there some pictures of it anywhere?

- Kind regards

Sebastian

Edited by Danish240Z

Maybe a should just drop them, what about flares without wider wheels? Do that look stupid? Is there some pictures of it anywhere?

- Kind regards

Sebastian

Yes, it would look stupid. You have done a nice job on your bodywork. Forget about flares. You can run 8" wide wheels with the stock fenders, which is plenty for street use.