HybridZ

'73 240Z L28et Build/Resto

Hey guys,

I've been here a while now. Reading mostly. Usually I can find it by searching, so I don't say much.

I bought this 73 240Z after I took out a loan to buy a Volkswagen Corrado and totalled it on the test drive. Crazy, I know. I found this Z on Craigslist and later found a for sale thread for it here on HybridZ.

http://forums.hybrid...__1#entry672177

I drove 650 miles to find a car that was not as advertised; to put it nicely. I paid him accordingly and made the purchase. I started home only to have it die on the freeway in Chicago for 10 min (in rush hour), lose 5th gear 100 miles in, and the wiper arm fly off the side of the windshield in downpour. That's leaving out a dozen other things. It was a bad trip. The car, although running poorly, was fast!

Photos from the day I got it home.

doubleZ.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

I started digging around and found the a lot of questionable work. (Again putting it nicely). Here is a pic of the fuel pump that was clanging around. Held only by it's hoses and a zip tie. :blink:

DSCF0044.jpg

Or the condition of the coil and plug wire

DSCF0159.jpgDSCF0168.jpg

I found a dude in Omaha that had two 5 speeds in his garage. Said they had been there for 15 years but worked good when they were pulled. I took the gamble and the 20 miles I drove my car with it installed; it shifted great.

GetAttachment.jpgDSCF0113.jpg

Got the car home and started to try to diagnose all the driveability issues and found all sorts of fun stuff. I think a 5th grader wired this car. Random things unplugged, bare wires, 13 individual power wires going to positive batt terminal..... It's ugly.

IMAG0568.jpg

I've had quite the learning curve as I've been a Jeep tech my whole life and we use speed density not MAF/AFM. So thanks for all the great info everyone!

After realizing my car was rusting more and more everyday and must have been put together in 45 minutes. I decided to strip it down and restore the body and fix all the half done things. This car needs to reassembled properly anyhow. What i have already found is scary at times. I have two different friends that own body shops so I'll get a bit of assistance from them. One even owns a mint '72 Z.

I bought the "How to restore" book by Wick Humble and it gave me a good guideline to follow. I started to strip away. I plan to build a rotisserie to do the underside and floor pans which will need attention. There is rust in almost all of the common places. My goal is to eliminate all the rust/fix body, paint the car, and get the engine running properly. Eventually go Megasquirt, but, one step at a time. Pics of floor

IMAG0600.jpg

IMAG0604.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

IMAG0609.jpg

IMAG0610.jpg

There are already patch jobs on both sides. They are riveted in though.

IMAG0598.jpg

Even put the g/f to work on scraping the sound deadener stuff....she likes to help.

IMAG0617.jpg

Spare tire area looks pretty good.

IMAG0578.jpg

Next I removed engine wiring harness and pulled the motor/trans. Went pretty smooth, had a friends help. Not much to it.

IMAG0703.jpg

IMAG0707.jpg

IMAG0722.jpg

Separated the motor/trans took clutch/PP/Flywheel off. Put on engine stand.

IMAG0750.jpg

IMAG0752.jpg

Even with the hood, cowl, interior all inside my house I am running out of room.

IMAG1002.jpg

IMAG1003.jpg

Z all lifted

IMAG0746.jpg

Took turbo intake off to look for problems and stripped the N42 bare. Will go with the N42, It will look good clean.

IMAG1020.jpg

Then....SOME BAD NEWS!!

The boot between the turbo and J-pipe looked worn and I figured it'd be a good idea to peek into inlet of the turbo while I was so close and it was ugly. This is not what I wanted to see....Any suggestions on what to do about this? Replace, I assume.

IMAG1007.jpg

IMAG1006.jpg

Boot was torn too

IMAG1032.jpg

IMAG1031.jpg

That's what I got right now. It's been wicked cold here in Iowa lately and I haven't been getting in as much garage time as I'd like, but, it's coming along. Any comments/suggestions gladly taken. Thanks for reading my novel of a first post!

Until next time,

A.J.

• 1 month later...

Wow!! im still new with this all, but i just wanted to wish you luck with your Z! that turbo looks pretty bad...i would replace for sure! oh bigphil has alot of stuf on his turbo z. just search youtube for bigphil or turbo280z.

Wow, partner. You sure have your work cut out for you. I wish you all the luck. I'm still new at this steel body japanese car thing, but your rust issues make mine look like a weekend wax job.

Edited by clutchdust

Black240Z - Thanks for reading and commenting! I found a used turbo that I'll use for now. The damaged turbo is water cooled but the stock replacement is oil cooled only; so I'm going to look into getting it fixed and rebuilt.

I'm deffinately hip to Big Phil's vids too, they are awesome.

Clutchdust - Glad to hear you were able to get a less rusty car. Rust sucks.....especially in Iowa. I don't know a whole lot about body work but luckily I have 2 close friends that both own body shops! So, I'll be learning and watching. Thanks for reading!

Minor Update: After years of harassment my neighbor sold me a complete turbo car he had collecting rust. It's an 82 and he said it ran when he parked it a few years ago. Now I have a spare L28et and R200! It has cool wheels too! I got it for cheap.

Minor Update: After years of harassment my neighbor sold me a complete turbo car he had collecting rust. It's an 82 and he said it ran when he parked it a few years ago. Now I have a spare L28et and R200! It has cool wheels too! I got it for cheap.

Nice score!

Excellent score. One thing I was wondering though, how did the impeller blades get that torn up that far inside? I mean I can see the outside edges getting galled if they come in contact with the housing or even the curved portion if the bearing allows the shaft to slide in and out. But looks like something must have been sticking down inside the intake tube for the blades to be that chewed up. I'm no turbo expert so I'm just thinking out loud here.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty excited about it! I was gonna drag it home today but it started raining then turned to snow.....Ugh, Iowa

I've spent some time pondering this myself. It is on the air filter side. When I bought the car the kid was bragging about how they were running it with an "open MAF". He thought it was cool.

My guess is something got into there, bounced around for a while and chewed them up. I am no expert either though.

Where are you at in Iowa? You should check out The Nebraska Z Club in Omaha. If you looks through my posts, I also have a 73 with a turbo motor. Maybe I could give you a hand with some things sometime. I've Been through the floor pan process myself.

Jacob - I'm in Des Moines. I signed up over on the Nebraska Z car forum a while back. Everyone was way cool! My dad lives in Omaha too, so I was all about it. I was gearing up to start coming out but the deeper I dug the more problems I found with the car. I decided to disassemble it and fix all these issues and the rust as it was progressing crazy fast (In a garage). I'm going to build this thing up right. I have the majority of what I need now. As I take it apart I wonder how it even made the 650 mile trip home. Scary stuff. NO MORE OF THAT!!

I'd love to still come out and pick your brain / hang with you guys sometime though, even if I can't drive the car. There is NO ONE around here that has any interest (or knowledge) in Datsuns. It'd be great to have a 2 sided conversation about this, Lol

I think my girlfriend's head is going to explode if I keep talking to her about it :eek2: I would have a lot of questions for a guy like you. Everything from rust repair to Megasquirt. I would be THRILLED to have some help with this project!

Even if it's just knowledge! I'm gonna start perusing your posts. Thanks for droppin a line man

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks man. I'm ready to get to work on the Z again. I've been busy and the weather got cold again....but It will be nice someday! The turbo car will be a great parts mule. It has a lot of goodies on it.

I really like the wheels on it. I'm not 100% sure what they are. They look similar to epsilon mesh wheels. I snapped a few pics after I brought it home. Here ya go :burnout:

IMG_20110313_184120.jpg

IMG_20110313_183756.jpg

IMG_20110313_183745.jpg

IMG_20110313_183739.jpg

IMG_20110313_184223.jpg

Looks like they are the Carol Shelby wheels. They have the same ccs marking that google images shows on carol shelby wheels. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

The wheels I got with my 240z seem to be impossible to find any information on also. I have gathered that they are ATS wheels from the 70's and that's about it. They are really light. Any info?

DSCF0006.jpg

• 4 months later...

I've been neglecting the Z....Letting it rot away in the garage. Im going to get busy with it this winter. I have a ridiculous amount of parts piled up to get this build on the road.

Expect good things to come. Here is my newest addition to the lineup. It is also the reason I've barely even seen the Datsun in 4 months. Stupid Fun!! :D

IMG_20110515_164706.jpg