HybridZ

Pictures of different carpet kits

CamH

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to get a molded carpet kit to put in my Z, as I am currently running a totally naked interior. For those of you with molded carpet kits installed in your cars, would you mind posting some installed pictures?

With your post, please include the following:

1. Brand (MSA, AutoTrimSupply, Datsun Restore, etc)

2. Difficulty of install

3. Installation pictures (if you've got any)

4. Final product once installed

Here are some URLs to some of the carpet kits that I have found online:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SIC04C01

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQNissanQQ240ZQQAutoCustomCarpetsQQCarpet_KitQQ1971QQ4512-71-82-01.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e&apwidTPxvMG7

http://www.datsunstore.com/index.php/cPath/1_19?osCsid=0b33fbb81f84b6a66b4d9d46728aa218

I think this could be a great resource for those of us looking to freshen up our interiors who don't know which carpet kit to buy.

Thanks for your input. :)

Me three. My Z came with Home Depot carpet that wasn't held down at all. The second it got caught under my feet it was all out the window. Looking for a good replacement as well. I've heard good things about the non-moulded ones but wanted to see them myself, in an actual Z.

Edited by BLOZ UP

I used the MSA Delux kit which covers the floor, trans tunnel,side rails, riser, rear deck and rear strut towers. Looks excellent. No fitment problems.

I glued all of the carpet except for the rear deck.

I installed sound and heat insulation before installing the carpet.

It was easy to do as long as you don't rush it and plan ahead what pieces to install first..

By the way, does any company make an actual molded carpet kit for the 240Z, 260Z or 280Z? The so called "molded carpet" kits I found were actually sewn sections.

post-178-042846000 1297467068_thumb.jpg

post-178-043573200 1297467093_thumb.jpg

post-178-013730600 1297469094_thumb.jpg

post-178-099012800 1297469120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

I used the MSA Delux kit which covers the floor, trans tunnel,side rails, riser, rear deck and rear strut towers. Looks excellent. No fitment problems.

It was easy to do as long as you don't rush it and plan ahead what pieces to install first..

By the way, does any company make an actual molded carpet kit for the 240Z, 260Z or 280Z? The so called "molded carpet" kits I found were actually sewn sections.

Beautiful post, Miles. Exactly the type of information that I was hoping to get out of this thread!

I wasted about three months researching carpet and followed many false leads. The MSA Delux kit is fine. Note that the strut covers fit best if you fill in the holes in the strut frame with some thin wood sheet material. I just cut the wood sheet to follow the angles of the strut frames and glued them on. This will hold the shape of the carpet over strut tower better. See attached picture for area to be filled in.

Also, there is no hole cut in the strut cover carpet for access to the strut attachment bolts. I carefully cut a small hole in the carpet just big enough to access the bolts. I was able to install the new plastic strut caps to cover the holes so it looks stock.

post-178-069107400 1297475230_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

I bought Chester and Herod 280z carpet kit 1.5 year ago and just this week started installing it. Overall, I am quite disappointed with its quality:

1. The back rear deck carpet is too big to fit, the edges are sewn which I don't feel like cutting unless I take care of these edges later myself. The luggage strap areas didn't align correctly.

2. The front section of the carpet should have had the back side 'skirts' included to cover the whole door sill area nicely, instead of having 2 separate pieces which overlap each other.

3. The same applies to the middle tunnel section. I will have to overlap the front with the middle section to get even look.

It came with jute padding which wasn't glued on, I am in the process of gluing the jute padding to the back of the carpet (overkill, probably).

The side skirts were included, but cut in such a rushed fashion, I am still scratching my head how to make it look clean. I also asked them to cut me rectangular pieces to put under the seats. For additional $22, I got two pieces, with one side which had edge sewn, the rest weren't. I am wondering why they couldn't get the other 3 sides to finish. Lazy?

The cost was $325 shipped. I should have done better research.

Sorry about venting here, but I also had a carpet installed years ago in my 67 Camaro, and that was a piece of modern marvel: it was molded, all edges were sewn creating a nice edge, thick with padding jute glued. It fit like a glove. It was one piece for the front and middle tunnel sections which hid the back seat carpet area overlap. It does make it more difficult to install, but it allows to create a smooth 'complete' look to it.

This Datsun carpet seems to be too thin, I am afraid it will start disintegrating in a year or so. I think after I am done test fitting/cutting it, I will take it to the local upholstery shop to add the missing sewn edges to better reinforce it.

Regards!

Miles,

I REALLY like your door panels. I know it's off topic, but can you tell me about them? Shoot me a PM if you can so we don't muddy this thread.

I bought Chester and Herod 280z carpet kit 1.5 year ago and just this week started installing it. Overall, I am quite disappointed with its quality:

1. The back rear deck carpet is too big to fit, the edges are sewn which I don't feel like cutting unless I take care of these edges later myself. The luggage strap areas didn't align correctly.

2. The front section of the carpet should have had the back side 'skirts' included to cover the whole door sill area nicely, instead of having 2 separate pieces which overlap each other.

3. The same applies to the middle tunnel section. I will have to overlap the front with the middle section to get even look.

It came with jute padding which wasn't glued on, I am in the process of gluing the jute padding to the back of the carpet (overkill, probably).

The side skirts were included, but cut in such a rushed fashion, I am still scratching my head how to make it look clean. I also asked them to cut me rectangular pieces to put under the seats. For additional $22, I got two pieces, with one side which had edge sewn, the rest weren't. I am wondering why they couldn't get the other 3 sides to finish. Lazy?

The cost was $325 shipped. I should have done better research.

Sorry about venting here, but I also had a carpet installed years ago in my 67 Camaro, and that was a piece of modern marvel: it was molded, all edges were sewn creating a nice edge, thick with padding jute glued. It fit like a glove. It was one piece for the front and middle tunnel sections which hid the back seat carpet area overlap. It does make it more difficult to install, but it allows to create a smooth 'complete' look to it.

This Datsun carpet seems to be too thin, I am afraid it will start disintegrating in a year or so. I think after I am done test fitting/cutting it, I will take it to the local upholstery shop to add the missing sewn edges to better reinforce it.

Regards!

Thanks for your post about that Chester and Herod kit. Do you think you could attach some pictures of what you're working with for reference?

CamH, see attached. Hopefully this helps to pick the right carpet kit for your car (sorry guys, I am a newbie in Photoshop to make the pictures look smaller when you click on them).

Wow, that is definitely a sloppily made kit. Thanks for the pictures.

Jnewby

MSA does not explain what is in thier kit very well. Call them and confirm that you want the kit that covers side rails, floors, trans tunnel, riser, wheel housings, strut towers and rear deck. That is what came in my Delux kit from MSA. The MSA kit is well made and fits well.

Edit: MSA calls it the Custom kit in thier on-line catalog. p/n 40-2596G

Edited by Miles

• 1 month later...