HybridZ

Pictures of different carpet kits

CamH

I installed the MSA molded carpet kit in my '78. It was annoying and it fits alright I guess, but it was also my first time doing this sort of thing. Figuring out where to cut all the holes for various fasteners and brackets was a sort of trial and error process, so I have some areas that could have been done better.

Zproj038.jpg

Zproj039.jpg

These are some pictures from a few years back when I was going through the process.

I installed the MSA molded carpet kit in my '78. It was annoying and it fits alright I guess, but it was also my first time doing this sort of thing. Figuring out where to cut all the holes for various fasteners and brackets was a sort of trial and error process, so I have some areas that could have been done better.

Zproj038.jpg

Zproj039.jpg

These are some pictures from a few years back when I was going through the process.

Is the MSA kit actually molded or cut and stiched?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Chester and Harod carpet kit for my 240Z and didn't think it was bad. Yes, the jute was not glued on, but otherwise it was fine. Mine cost about $210 including shipping. I think it was $175 plus shipping, but need to look at the invoice to be sure. I have an old, but OEM carpet and I wanted the closed loop. I think the C&H was the closest to the OEM. I'll take some pictures. Of course I bought mine a few years ago. I selected C&H because someone told me they were used for the Nissan factory restorations. They told me I got one of the NOS sets from that run.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to get a molded carpet kit to put in my Z, as I am currently running a totally naked interior. For those of you with molded carpet kits installed in your cars, would you mind posting some installed pictures?

Did you ever decide on a carpet kit?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone make a leather kit like Miles door panels are? I would like to keep the trans tunnel, lower door pieces and strut tower/ wheel well area leather but not diamond vinyl like oem.

Edited by ZT-R

ZTR

I had a local upholstery shop cover my door panels, visors, dogleg panels and the panel that goes on the inside of the hatch. I covered the kick panels. One thing to be aware of is when you add padding under the door panel the window crank will rub on the material. I installed power windows so the window crank is not an issue. If you want padded door panels have your upholstery guy leave a recess in the padding where the window crank is.

The interior cost including sound proofing materials, heat insulation, MSA carpet kit, new plastic panels, new panel fasteners, seats, upholstered door panels/visors, headliner, SEM Landau Black coating for all old plastic parts etc was about $1,700.

Add another $800.00 for sound system, steering wheel, shifter knob, shifter boot etc etc.

So about $2,500 ++ to have a complete interior.

Interior is quiet and the floor is cool. Even smells like a new car.

Edited by Miles

I am putting some B-Quiet (dynomat) behind my dash and on the floor boards and all that fun stuff now. I'm trying to determine if want to use this old jute pad behind the dash and the old trans tunnel carpet. It looks smelly. I have bought some cheap insulation with the jute or whatever pad from black dragon along time ago, just not sure i want to use that due to it can get wet. granted if i put it on top of dynomat who cares...

I put down a layer of Thermo-Tec Cool It acoustic mat and then a layer of 3/8" thick double foil-backed fiber insulating mat over all floor areas and the trans tunnel. Cool and quiet.

Edited by Miles

I got the 3/8" double foil backed fiber insulation in 48" x 72" rolls from a local speed shop. Don't remember the brand. Therma - Tec makes a product called Cool -It. It is double foil backed over mineral fiber. One side is mylar the other side is reinforced foil. One member here bought his material from Home Depot. I glued mine down with carpet adhesive and then used aluminum tape to cover all of the seams.

• 5 months later...

I wasted about three months researching carpet and followed many false leads. The MSA Delux kit is fine. Note that the strut covers fit best if you fill in the holes in the strut frame with some thin wood sheet material. I just cut the wood sheet to follow the angles of the strut frames and glued them on. This will hold the shape of the carpet over strut tower better. See attached picture for area to be filled in.

Also, there is no hole cut in the strut cover carpet for access to the strut attachment bolts. I carefully cut a small hole in the carpet just big enough to access the bolts. I was able to install the new plastic strut caps to cover the holes so it looks stock.

Looks great Miles, what material did you use for the sound deadening.