HybridZ

Scooter Advice: Honda Reflex

JSM

I'm looking for gas saving advantages with my 21 mile drive one way. If gas goes as high as it's predicted, I just can't see many more options.

Anyway, I've got two options for driving to work, all highways (tolls) or all back roads. The back roads trip is not bad to me in my Nissan Frontier truck and it saves $800 a year in toll money! I got used to it real quick!

Reading Evil's (Clives) thread on motorcycle advice thread kinda is throwing me off on getting one (safety). I've riden some bikes, Dual sports mainly, and have bought and sold some bikes, but never for real commuting.

I really like the Honda Reflex. It's only a 250 but none of the back roads I take are over 45 mph.

Any thoughts or advice?

Edited by JSM

I say get it. You will definitely be saving money. The risk...well that depends on you. What kind of driver are you. The Majority of accidents I see are from inexperienced rides(buddy crashed few says ago broke hang and leg. I crashed when I started and so did my brother) and joy riders(how my other brother crashed). My biggest concern is other drivers VS. my ability to ride. Think about the drivers in your area, some places are worse than others.

I think in the end If you are experienced and your just using it as a commuter on back roads, the risk is minimal really. Not saying its super safe, but in the end when are you going to far saying its to unsafe(what is safe then)? comes down to your personality I guess. I think the whole stereotype of motorcycles being so dangerous is a bit overblown.

Motorcycles are dangerous. There's nothing between you and another vehicle, or the road. If you could dress like the michelin man, you might be better off. There is definitely a huge risk involved in riding... you must always maintain full 100% concentration on riding, always looking for obstacles, avoiding potential hazards, and being defensive all the time. No stereotype about it.

Motorcycles are also a ton of fun. Nothing like riding through the hills on a bike on a nice day. Pure freedom.

I too crashed once, luckily just a near concussion and broken wrist and some road rash. I bought a new bike and rode again. Yes, it is worth it.

If you are wanting to get a motorcycle for the gas economy, don't do it. I honestly don't know why, but popular position on the way to save money is to buy a new vehicle with better mileage than the current vehicle. If you sit down and do the math, it takes years to be economically advantageous. Think about it, if you can get 50mpg on a motorcycle, and your current vehicle gets, say, half that, (you might get less on a motorcycle, and possibly better mileage in your Frontier) you can assume a 1 to 2 ratio of dollars spent on gas. If gas gets to say, $6/gallon, with your commute, 21 miles one way, five days a week, that puts you at 10920 miles in a year (52 weeks) at 50mpg, 218.4 gallons of gas. That is $1310.40 in gas, which you could say is also your savings. So, if you buy a motorcycle, you have to consider the cost of the bike itself. If you buy a newer bike, say, for $6000-8000, it will take you about 4.5 to 6 years to break even on the purchase of the motorcycle. By then, you will likely be tired of riding to work every day for 6 years, not having a cup holder (or ashtray cup holder in a z) and avoiding having total idiots run you off the road. At least I would.

It's really a total adjustment of your norms... riding to commute is business, and business usually sucks. But, then again, if you aren't having a great time at work, the time on the bike might be what gets you out of bed.

Just don't do it because of the money. Do it because bikes are awesome!

That's not a bad deal. Not sure on the scooter, looks to be very high mileage for a bike, at least. Might need some engine overhaul/maintenance at that point. Only way to really know is taking it to a qualified mechanic... which I am not. That's pretty decent on savings, if you can stand to ride every day (rain or shine!) It's probably a decently comfortable ride, and the storage is convenient, for sure. But, who knows, gas prices might not stay high for that long... it may just be a spring/summer thing. Or, they might never go down past $3.00 again. The reality is that gas prices never went up with inflation, so they are catching up with us now... they did in Europe, which is why they get to pay so much. I try not to let it impact my life... I just budget for it. But, I commute with an F150 Supercrew, that gets 16mpg average. Hey, it's just money!

i would be inclined to get a slightly larger bike .motorcycle saftey classes use the old honda rebel 250.i would be thinking of a suzuki 650 v-twin or a kawi 500 ninja twin-at least if you had to hit a freeway you wont be run over.there are lots of low mile bikes in early 2000's around used with under 10k miles.i have a 2002 yamaha fz1 1000cc street bike that is very fun to ride -but it eats back tires.even if you run the sport touring tires-you get about 10k max on tires.lots of bikes around just lok for awhile

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I test drove an 03 Reflex last week and was highly dissapointed. So I upgraded too a Kawasaki Ninja 250. It was so hard to have no clutch and two brakes on the handle bars. It was a very strange sensation to ride the scooter if your used to a bike.

Talk about a mission to find one, wow! If there was one in Florida that was decent shape, low miles and reasonably priced they were gone! This one was gone in less than 2 hours:

http://treasure.craigslist.org/mcy/2273974127.html

Just about everyone I called on were sold. So tonight I found this:

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/mcy/2276686247.html

Bone stock, owned by a women and picked it up for $2100. Not lots of power, obviously, but all my driving will be under the 50mph range going to and from work. Should be great on gas and the resale seems to be incredible.

What kills me is they changed the FL law on motorcycle permits. No more 90 day temporary. I've had bikes off and on for years but never got my endorsement.

2 years ago they ran my buddy's tag and because they can tell if he has an endorsement or not, they pulled him over and ticketed him. I immediately got my 90 temp. Well that came and gone and now 2 years later I have to take the BRC due to the law change.

Trying to go into that I will learn something. :) It's the $200 that is killing me being such a cheapskate.

Edited by JSM