HybridZ

R230 and 1200+ horsepower

Like the title says, I am putting my small block chevy motor from my vette or camaro in the Z. I have indepedent suspension in my Vettes and have not had any problems. I have about $7500 in the rears and was hoping i could get my stock style 240z suspenion to do the same. So far I have a R230 from a 90 300ZX TT. Trying to figure out what to do next. I've gone 8.60's @ 164.49mph with my motor in a 600lbs heavier car than the 240Z. I can't find anyone who has put this much power through this stock type set up. I see there are a few companies for stub axles,axles,cv shafts but is it doable with available parts or am I going to have to reinvent everything like we have for my vettes? Thanks for any input.

www.motivational.net

I think you're going to be the first. I'll be curious to see what happens to the rear struts if you get traction with that much power. Not that there has been a failure there, but I just don't think it was designed for that.

If you do use stock struts, I would suggest www.modern-motorsports.com for stub axles, they make a 39 spline chromoly axle with a CV adapter.

Edited by JMortensen

Do a search on Techno Toy Tuning. They make a bullet proof rear kit using the r230.

Yes, I have already looked at their stuff. The install kit looks good. I want better stub axles and shafts. Modern motorsports stub axles look pretty good but I don't know if they can handle the power either. Has anyone broke the R230? I think I read somewhere the stub axles have failed with a lot of power. This is one of my Corvette with IRS and 8.6 inch M/T ET Street tires.

post-17083-017782000 1299133000_thumb.jpg

Edited by Motivational

Going to be an interesting exercise with that amount of power, could start tearing attachment points out of the body for example so that should be looked at. As you probably realise all you can do is get the strongest stuff available and give her a go. That includes suspension parts and diff mountings.

If you do use stock struts, I would suggest www.modern-motorsports.com for stub axles, they make a 39 spline chromoly axle with a CV adapter.

I have been trying to get ahold of Ross at MM for a few years to no avail....All I can say is its pretty hit and miss trying to get in touch with him. People have sent him money and still never heard anything for over a month, only to end up having their money returned.

Sorry but i'll send my business elsewhere.

good luck with the build.

Ill have to agree with 260DET though, Im thinking your going to have to do some serious beefing up of the entire chassis so as to not rip the attatchment points off.