HybridZ

'72 running project

Hi all, I've been around for a little while but I'm just now getting this little '72 in condition to show (not like car show, just be seen in it) and drive. It's actually my g/f's car, but I have a '73 sitting in a field about 80 miles from here.

It's been a long haul on it so far. The car came from Colorado back in the early 90's and sat in the same field for a number of years, about 14 before I took the project on. The Gas issues I had from that long a time were unbelievable. The fuel tank has been flushed four times by local shops not to mention the three or four times I've had the tank down and hosed it out myself. It's just now getting to where the funk is tapering off.

The gas was such a problem that I ended up tossing the original motor. When I put fresh gas in the tank, it reconstituted the funk from the old gas, which in turn started to hang intake valves. I probably could have just pulled and rebuilt the head but a local guy was giving away a L26 so I took the good L24 block and put the L26 rotating assembly in it. The L26 block was just too worn and would have required boring, the L24 just needed a good hone. It's a little loose but within specs. I also ditched the SUs and put on an Arizona Z intake and MSA 3-2 header. The ignition is a pertronix with an old Accel coil I had from another project. I reringed the block, fresh bearings, oil pump, chain, tensioner and guides.

I had a fit with the lights, specifically the tail/turn lights. Turns out the switch was the culprit and after more than one rebuild, I have it working reliably.

Sadly, the car has cancer. Both floorpans need some attention with the driver's side being the worse. I also have this nasty spot just above the driver's rear wheel which I suspect was originally body damage but the rust is cracking through the Bondo.

I found a 5-speed I popped in it but it needs rebuilt as 2nd gear synchro is less than stellar. It also leaks a pretty healthy amount of oil from the tail shaft, but these are relatively easy fixes.

I want to "resto mod" the car so the body will stay fairly close to stock. Since I have so much rust over that wheel I will likely take the opportunity to blend in some subtle flairs but otherwise, the body is probably going to stay more or less the way it looks.

Without further pontification on my part...

rightside.jpg?t=1299375122

leftrearquarter.jpg?t=1299375122

driverinterior.jpg?t=1299375122

engineleft.jpg?t=1299375122

Here's some bodywork that needs repair thanks to my neighbor's F250.

hoodbucket.jpg?t=1299375122

Which sucks, but it's not like I don't have bodywork to do anyway. Here's the telltale sign of deeper problems.

cancer.jpg?t=1299375122

And I thought this was kind of a fun and different way to do the throttle. So far, about 200 miles, no problems with it. Funny how the sound is delayed in the video but the throttle is actually pretty snappy.

th_SS854326.jpg

Edited by clutchdust