HybridZ

Just when you thought you saw brazen Smog Scams...

Tony D

some "who can pass" ...oooookay?

For that price he could just buy a new one :P

My question is, what are the odds that a shady smog inspector is surfing CL's auto parts section for work? :roll:

The odds are pretty good actually. BAR does a lot of undercover testing of smog check stations. When I had my 1977 Datsun 810 I had to go to three different shops until one agreed to do a smog check. I asked him why it was so hard to get it tested. He said that a clean cut white guy with a car like that screams BAR inspector.

Thanks John, those in the know realize this is the kind of thing the BAR does.

This is either the dumbest guy on the face of the planet, or the laziest BAR inspector trolling for the dumbest SMOG Tech in SoCal.

I have had similar referrals to referees after asking questions on why a particular component would have failed or passed a given test. If you know 'too much' about your car, they get jittery and rather than pass you they send you on to the Referee for HIM to risk his neck on certifying your vehicle.

$10K fine for Smoggies that get caught. And it does happen.

The good news is that the system for finding the offending shops is getting more and more automated. Not only has this helped some of the shops be a little less suspicious but it also means that the blatant offenders get caught easier.

BTW, on the topic of smogs, anyone here the news about the possibility of the dyno's not being used in OBD-2 cars soon? Might make me interested in some newer cars finally...

The good news is that the system for finding the offending shops is getting more and more automated. Not only has this helped some of the shops be a little less suspicious but it also means that the blatant offenders get caught easier.

BTW, on the topic of smogs, anyone here the news about the possibility of the dyno's not being used in OBD-2 cars soon? Might make me interested in some newer cars finally...

Here, I know, in TX, any car over 10 years old is required to be on the dyno. OBD-II, 3, 3000.

I'm so not looking forward to moving to CA. If they had kept the rolling 25 I would feel better...

Really, how many 25+ year old cars are there compared to newer ones? 1/100, 1/1000?

Arrrr....

Edited by BLOZ UP

2003 or so i used to work as a tech at a local ford dealer and 1 of the young salesman up front had a musttang cobra with mucho aftermarkit stuff on it.his buddy(another tech but no smog license)installed all the parts in the shop after hours when i was smogging used cars.you could smell the thing running rich -with no cats of course.the sales boy sells the car and wants it smogged.i got offered $500 cash.i turned it down and told him i wanted nothing to do with the car.to many people knew too much.used to have a smog license for about 10 years.dont work on cars much anymore.never got any write ups from bar while i had my license.bar used to send me a little newsletter with all the shops that got cited.i have applied to be a bar inspector twice with the state .1st time i took the test and got an interview.problem was by the time i got the interview i was working in iraq.last year i applied then got a letter back about the state hiring freeze.bar inspectors start at $60k a year