HybridZ

Swap or not

I have recently got a 1978 280 Z for free! I previously owned a 1982 280ZX non-turbo when I was 16 (15 years ago) until my sister totaled it. I have been a fan of Z cars since I was about 14 and really started looking at cars. My new Z is not currently running, it has been sitting for over 15 years (in a covered garage) - PO stated that it ran when parked however. Only minor surface rust and great interior. My question is get the engine running that is in there or I have a donor 1981 280zx delux model that I can get for only a couple of hundred bucks with a good running engine and bad interior/body. What's the consensus as far as time/money on fixing the original versus dropping in the donor engine? I have never done an entire engine overhaul but I am pretty car savvy and can follow direnctions. I also have friends with needed equipment if I don't own it. I am just looking to have a speedy little sports car to drive around. I am not going to race it. I want a reliable engine most of all. I will possibly be looking at doing some modifications to increase HP after I drive the car for a year or so and really get used to driving it - I think I would like about 200 whp. Of course I will be working on the suspension and brakes in addition to the engine. I know some dislike posts like this but I am just getting started and like when people post their opinions -- based on experience hopefully. 1981 ZX with 225K miles. but new transmission and clutch assembly less than 5,000 mile ago. newer (used) fuel injectors in it, a new radiator, new starter, alternator, water pump, rear stub axle, distributor.

1978 280z with apprx 160K unknown history other than engine sitting for 15 years.

Thanks.

Edited by pasakZ

It really depends on what kind of shape the engine is in and what it would take to get it up and running!

Personally, I would start with what's already there if I had zero history and see if I couldn't get it going as is with the basics.

If that didn't work, the swap is always an option and everything will bolt right in.

Put in a few hours work in on what you already have, and then go from there :)

P.S. Where are you at in Tacoma?

I'm over in Parkland going to PLU!

Try and get that motor running. It doesn't take a lot of know how to get these engines to work. Besides the only thing you lose is time if the engine is crap, but the amount of knowledge you will gain from working on it will be invaluable.

Welcome to HybridZ

Yeah If the 280Z engine is workable stick with it, because once you start pulling wires and such you'll end up opening cans of worms, not to mention the whole "While I'm at it..." thing. The main reason I would vote FOR the swap isn't really because of the engine. it's bades on the Trannies. If the 280Z has a 4 speed and the ZX a 5 speed, then SWAP definitely, if they're both 5 speeds, then you'll need to see which ones you have, because the later ZX 5speed has better 5th gear ratio, than the 77-80ish Z 5th gear. I'm sure somewhere on here somone has posted the ratios.

If it's solely an engine thing, then you'r enot gaining any power by swapping. If your ZX engine was a turbo L28ET then you might have a better reason to swap, but you'd need more than the engine, you'd need the turbo (of course) the wiring harness, the ECU etc etc.. Oh I might also swap if the ZX engine was a F54 block with a P90/P90a head since that's a really good combo for later FI. (not to mention the Quietness of the P90 hydralic heads)

So from what you've given us, I'd say stick with the Stock engine and try to make it run. it shouldn't be too hard to make it run. Depending on how bad the fuel is in the tank and lines, you could be in for a job. I've used bailing wire to snake out gummed up fuel lines. The tank might have to be boiled. The surface rust, is never just surface rust. Get a good DA sander, some primer and touchup paint and go after those spots before you get the car rained on. if it's been sitting a long time like that, you might need to be cautious so the rust doesn't travel under the paint.

Phar

I would get it running too. I would bypass the fuel system all together and run off a seperate gas can and fuel pump. This way it is easy to flush the fuel rail and might save you from gumming up the injectors worse.

Sitting that long you will likely to have replace the tank or have it severly cleaned. The last thing you will want to do is suck more junk into the fuel system. Hit my up if you need a tank. I have a clean one I just pulled from a 78.

Make sure you check the air filter real well for critters.