HybridZ

Which Transmission?

gb20

Hey guys,

My wife just offered $3,500 from her bonus (how awesome is that!) to put a V8 in my 260Z. I want to put in a 351W and a 5 speed trans. What transmission would you guys suggest for this? Any years I should look for or avoid? And any suggestions on what year engine to go with? I want to go carbed for now, if that makes a difference at all.

Thanks for any thoughts you have guys,

gb20

Best place to look for a used one would be craigslist or www.corral.net in the forums' classifieds ads. You'll have to get the Tremec specific bellhousing for the 351W, 10.5" Mustang (5.0) clutch of your choice, proper flywheel for your engine, and all the supporting equipment. One downside is none of the Ford setups are designed to run with a hydraulic clutch, and can be pretty rough on your clutch leg with a racing clutch.

My Ford powered 260Z has been driving for better than 10 years now. For most of that time, the engine was a stockish 5.0L with Edelbrock heads. The car evolved from a street car, to an occasional drag racer (12.2 @ 113 mph), to a full time autocrosser. During the first 10 years, the car was equipped with a World Class T5 transmission (that came from a junkyard), a king cobra clutch, and a Tilton hydraulic release bearing. The transmission lasted 10 years.

Two years ago, I upgraded my engine to a 331 stroker making 365hp/375tq at the wheels on a SuperFlo dyno. The old transmission finally died with a bang when I took all of the teeth off second gear powering out of a corner. Post-mortem on the transmission also revealed that the input shaft was twisted about five degrees. I had found the limit of the stock T5.

I have since upgraded to a G-Force T5, and I am extremely happy with the results. The new transmission weighs nearly the same as the stock T5 (~75 pounds), has better gear ratios, and can handle 500+ horsepower. I was also able to reuse my Tilton HTOB, and my King Cobra pressure plate. I did however have to purchase a new disc because the G-Force T5 uses a bigger input shaft with 26 splines rather than 10.

Because I primarily autocross my car, weight is everything. The Tremek TKO weighs about 140 pounds, and the T5 weighs ~75. So, for me the decision was a no-brainer.

If it were me, I would go with the G-Force T5 unless I were to combine drag racing, slicks, and more than 500 hp.

Dan