HybridZ

Looking for the area of a whale tail

The front edge of the whaletail is 41" wide, and attaches to the hatch about 2" behind the glass. It tapers out to a max width of 54", this max width 7" behind the front edge. It then tapers back in to 50" wide at the trailing edge, which is 18" from the leading edge. The trailing edge is slightly curved, with a chord of about 2". There is a 1.5" lip which begins at the wide point and goes all the way around the trailing edge. Rear corners have approx a 3" radius.

Sorry for the slow response. About 2:30 am I decided to load up the 930 and go to the track, and just got back.

John

No problem, not like this was an emergency or anything. Thanks again for the figures. So I figure if I calculate a 47.5 x 7 rectangle and a 52 x 18 and add them together, that gets me in the ballpark. Looks like that is 1268.5 sq in...

That is a large area of 8.8 sq ft!

That looks like the 'big one' there is another smaller unit without the spill edges...perhaps that one is called the "Ducks Tail" but I've seen people refer to the big and little as 'Whale Tail'...

• 1 month later...

I don't know how you could have read what I wrote and thought that I didn't agree that it was effective. I can only surmise that you didn't read it. I was amazed at its effectiveness compared to the wing. Your "test" was worthless and the numbers completely unrealistic, the Nissan Comp numbers are also not believeable, but the wind tunnel results are pretty stunning, and I said as much in my email to McBeath which I posted on the other thread. "If you figure from the test previous that the tail made 253 lbs downforce, that works out to a Cl of 1.1, which seems VERY impressive for a spoiler."

EDIT--I also said this: "I've been trying to consider the effectiveness of the whale tail vs wings, and I've come to the conclusion that the whale tail is VERY efficient at producing downforce when using the wind tunnel numbers when compared to the APR wing."

Edited by JMortensen