HybridZ

Blotchy paint

Josh280z

I believe caliper paint is just high temp paint really. I used normal rustolem on my car and it did pretty good, needs a another coat or two. From the looks of the picture it just looks like you need a better spraying technique it seems sort of all over the place and thicker in some places then others, I would do some research on spraying technique and if your already doing fine then its probably the paint.

Agreed, looks like you are not getting an even coat. It's really hard to do with a rattle can... you should sand it back down to get an even base, and start again... no need to use caliper paint, since you won't be seeing those temps on the car. If you are going the rattle can route, I would practice on a test panel with different speeds, pass techniques, application thickness, and distance from the work until you are happy with the results. It's gonna take a lot of cans to get enough coverage. They also make an attachment for the top of rattle cans that allow you to hold it like a normal paint gun, and take the pressure off of your index finger (the name of the device escapes me). This will also allow you to get a better handle on the can, and will reduce your finger fatigue.

Holy hell that looks bad. As everyone else stated it is more than anything in your technique. Get the attachment that z2go suggested( my local OSH/homedepot sells them for like $10). It will make a world of difference. When I painted my car with krylon, after the front end, it started getting hard for me to hold my finger down without cramping and my painting ended up looking like crap because I couldn't make full passes without my finger twitching/releasing resulting in splotchy areas. Had to sand it down and start over again.

Also after you finish, you might consider wet sanding it with some really fine sandpaper. Looks like you used gloss and a few members have been able to wet sand out the "shine" and it looks amazing.

Edit: Please don't take comments like these negatively. It all comes with practice. If I came off insulting I'm truly sorry.

Edited by BluDestiny

Whoa!

looks like you were holding the can too close, and did not overlap your coats. (50/50 overlap is a general standard) I also see what looks like inconsistant travel speed (the speed of the tip of the applicator, in other words how fast you move the can accross the body)

Practice on another scrap part to experiment first till you get the effect you are looking for.

Good luck!