HybridZ

Found a rotor for my 5 lug swap out back

tec280zx

I'm using 87 Z31 stub axles out back and was hoping to use the rotors and calipers as well. Unfortunately the caliper ears on the 280zx control arms are a bit shorter so the caliper won't fit over the rotor. Searched high and low and found that a 92 Nissan Maxima rear rotor has close to the same dimensions as the s130, only with 5 lugs. Now I can keep my stock calipers and all is well.

SDC11855.jpg

SDC11857.jpg

SDC11858.jpg

SDC11856.jpg

^ Have to use a small spacer in between the mount and the caliper to center it over the rotor. The z31 stub axle pushes the hub out slightly.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I ditched the vented rotors and calipers from the 87 Z31. The caliper mounts on the s130 are a bit shorter than the z31. So while everything "bolts" up, the caliper hits on the rotor. I tried removing some material from the inside of the caliper like Frank did, but I ended up going into the caliper pin. It wouldn't take too much to make it work, just a spacer of some sort to push the caliper out. I don't feel like messing around with that right now so I made the solid rotors work. Come summertime though, I'll probably end up scrapping the whole rear suspension anyways...

Picked up an s13 rear multi link setup for 40 bux.

SDC11868.jpg

Couldn't resist a rough mock up. I'm gonna try to do it without modding the car, just the subframe. Front mounts are a bit off but gonna try to make a few brackets. The rear mounts line up with the cross beam so it'll be easy to fab something up there.

SDC11870.jpg

If I can't get it to work then no real loss. I'll mod the s130 crossmember for adjustablity and make due.

SDC11871.jpg

Crappy pics, I was losing light. Can take some tomorrow.

I'll try to take some pics this weekend. Been busy prepping the mounting areas and measuring like crazy.

The one thing I didn't really measure yet was the track width, but with them side by side, it looks like the s13 is maybe 1.5~2 in wider in total length. Good thing I sold my wheels, don't think they would have fit without flares.

Was looking into this and I assumed the strut was not going to fit through the S13 upper link and into the strut top. I hope I'm wrong :> but if for some reason you have a R33 rear multi link lying around it looked like measures up better and once my shed is done (july-ish) I could look closer into it. I think I'm gonna stick with semi trailing arm though as I have to many goodies for my current setup.

The strut does fit through the upper control arm, barely. It wants to lean towards the rear of the arm more than the s13. If its an issue I can just swap in s14 control arm that are a "half moon" style.

Test fitting. Fronts aren't installed yet.

22812364032_large.jpg

22812364030_large.jpg

22812364036_large.jpg

S13 struts are too short now. S14 should fit nicely.

22812364035_large.jpg

Edited by tec280zx

The front mounts do not line up. Mounting points on the subframe need to be moved inward 0.875 in. Hardest part is getting in as straight as possible. For the rear I used some poly mounts that I had laying around to drop it down a little over an inch. Eventually I'm gonna get some aluminum spacers to mount it solid.