HybridZ

S30 Brake Upgrade using Z32 Calipers

Alright Here is what I have gathered about the swap.

This is what I plan on using, converting to 5 lug in the process.

Front

-Z31 5 lug round hubs (88-89 turbo 300zx)[These are the hubs that allow you to slip a rotor overtop of the hub]

-Z32 Front 4 Piston Caliper

-Z33 02-08 Track Edition front vented Brake Rotor (Rotor size = 12.75" x 1.18")

-Custom fabricated bracket to fit the z32 caliper to the z33 rotor

Rear

-Either prepped Modern Motorsports 280z 5 lug stub axle hubs or Modern Motorsports's machined 5 lug stub axle hubs

-Modern Motorsports Rear disk conversion Bracket

-Z32 Rear 2 Piston Caliper[should bolt up same as 89-94 240sx caliper as they carry the same bolt pattern; but they clamp a different thickness rotor]

-96-05 Acura TL front vented brake rotor (Rotor size = 11.4" x 1.1")[should be a perfect fit thickness wise for the z32 caliper to clamp and diameter wise to work with the MM conversion bracket]

-ArizonaZcar parking brake caliper http://www.arizonazcar.com/parkingcaliper.html

Looking at using DBA brand rotors or Powerslot.

How does this list look? If all my calculations are correct it should workout/fit perfectly.

Edited by B00STDZ

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Z's with Z32 calipers. I have a set myself, just didn't feel like getting the brackets made to adapt them. They are the same calipers that the Subaru WRX Group N uses...obviously just saying Nissan instead.

Should be a pretty nice setup.

the oem 4 lug hub can be used. redrilling 5 bolt hubs to 4 bolt is easy and takes a few minutes.

you will need to machine the bore of the disc rotor on a lathe as well.

this will save you from buying new wheels.

i have my gtr rotors and calipers, as well as cusotm adaptor brcket all ready to go for my oem 4 lug hub.

(gtr should be similar to z32)

i know youre converting to 5 lug but just throwing the info out there...

Edited by 240zdan

Bore the disc rotor? Are you referring to the hat? With a z31 round hub no boring is required.

And to add to the information in this thread to anyone searching Z32 calipers, 240sx calipers AND Skyline GTR calipers ALL bolt up the same!

Another question, I take it the GTR rotor is 4 lug? Do you know how big the disc rotor is?

Edited by B00STDZ

I'm going to be doing the swap myself and yes I agree very little info on the subject, even if it is something that has been done widely. I have a connection that is going to make me the bracket to change the position of the caliper so it clears and I was told I could use the Z33 caliper but I would need to drill it out for the four lug. I may work better for you since your doing the five lug in the first place. This is all just my two cents. As you do the work post pics it will help the rest of us. One more thing are you using the steel or aluminum caliper?

I'm going to be doing the swap myself and yes I agree very little info on the subject, even if it is something that has been done widely. I have a connection that is going to make me the bracket to change the position of the caliper so it clears and I was told I could use the Z33 caliper but I would need to drill it out for the four lug. I may work better for you since your doing the five lug in the first place. This is all just my two cents. As you do the work post pics it will help the rest of us. One more thing are you using the steel or aluminum caliper?

Iron late model caliper 93-96 300zx z32

Recieved a Pm questioning about the caliper mount, rotors, and 5 lug hubs. Thought I would share the information on here...

Yes it does place the mounting ears farther away from the stock mount. Big brake kits for the 300zx could be used as a model of what we are trying to accomplish such as this kit. http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=881&Car_Type=300&UID=2011042207493998.19.146.227

Why this mount wouldnt work with an s30 is the bolts are spaced 90mm apart and on a z32 they are 100mm. But a bracket of similar design needs to be made using the z32 calipers to be able to mount on a z33 track rotor(has to be the TRACK edition 350z rotor as that is the biggest one to be offered on a 350z) Just when you buy aftermarket make sure you check to see if it is for a track edition 350z. As far as rotors, 350z brakes have a HUGE aftermarket selection for rotors. Ive seen rotors as cheap as $88shipped for a pair to $1000 PER rotor(The most expensive rotors being DBA 2 piece 5000's, ENDLESS brake rotors, and Project MU brake rotors. Personally I like the ENDLESS brake rotors the best, but are waaay too expensive for my budget. But in the future if I ever want those rotors if I have the bracket already all I have to do is swap the rotor out.

On the 5 lug hubs, You dont need MM 5 lug front hubs! Z31 88-89 T hubs are just as good. Now on the rear you will have to order from MM to convert to 5 lug.

I do not have the round z31 hubs but am trying to find a set. Not only are they more desirable for us s30 owners but I have figured out through z31performance.com that these hubs are necessary to put a big brake kit on a 84-87 z31. That or you have to get the pentagon hubs machined round which seems to me as to much trouble so hopefully I will run into a set of round hubs.

As far as the parking brake goes, check out AZC's seperate ebrake caliper. This is not a new concept as Lamborghini's and other exotic cars use 2 calipers in the rear; one parking, one braking.

For the rear rotors I posted in that thread the rotors I THINK should work with the z32 calipers. Diameter and thickness checks out, so we should be good.

Back to brake rotors, the ones I am looking at for the front and rear are DBA 4000's. They run about $200 per rotor, middle of the row, slotted, offer decent performance. But like I said earlier you can go crazy on the rotors if you want and spend a whole lot.

Forgive my ignorance about the Z32 calipers but I was not aware that they are mounted radially.

My bigger concern is where the stock caliper mounts to the mounting ears. On an S30, the caliper mounts to the ears on the back side closest to the strut tube. On any car from Z31 on, the caliper mounts to the opposite side of the ears, closest to the rotor. I see this as being the greatest hurdle to overcome as mounting a bracket to the back side of the mounting ears and positioning the caliper where it needs to be to use rotors with a hat offset as small as a Z33 uses is very difficult. My solution to this problem is to first machine the front side of the mounting ears smooth so a mounting bracket could be bolted to the side of the ears that is closest to the rotor.

MM 5 lug or Z31 5 lug doesn't matter. I think you still have to overcome the caliper mounting location first to be able to put the caliper in the correct position.

Joe

So those pictures actually show my concerns.

The Z32 caliper does mount to the front of the caliper mounting ears. By front I mean to the side of the ears closest to the rotor. Also, if you bolt a mounting bracket to rear of the ears as indicated in the bottom picture, you cannot use the slip over rotor as used on the Z33's.

Who's project are the top 2 pictures from? That looks promising!

Joe

Edited by rags

So those pictures actually show my concerns.

The Z32 caliper does mount to the front of the caliper mounting ears. By front I mean to the side of the ears closest to the rotor. Also, if you bolt a mounting bracket to rear of the ears as indicated in the bottom picture, you cannot use the slip over rotor as used on the Z33's.

Who's project are the top 2 pictures from? That looks promising!

Joe

Top three are Cal Poly's z project.

Ok next question, do the Z32 and Z33 use the same rotor hat offset? If so, the thickness of the caliper mount that Mark made and the location of the mounting surface he created is all that is necessary to make an adapter that can use all of the Z33 big brake kits.

Joe

The hat is a tad(half an inch MAYBE?) shallower than a stock z32 caliper(per twinturbo.net). When they swap in a z33 track rotor on z32's it scoots the caliper closer to the rim. Looks really good, but you have to make sure you run a low offset wheel to clear the caliper(shouldnt be a problem for us really anyways)

That is what the bracket will look like if you machine the front of the ears and use a rotor with a hat that has little offset. Oh yeah, and the thick area bolts to the stock newly machined ears and the thin part gets the caliper bolted to it.

Joe