HybridZ

S30 Brake Upgrade using Z32 Calipers

That is what the bracket will look like if you machine the front of the ears and use a rotor with a hat that has little offset. Oh yeah, and the thick area bolts to the stock newly machined ears and the thin part gets the caliper bolted to it.

Joe

Little offset are you referring to using pentagon hubs bolting the rotor behind the hub or slip on rotor such as the 350z track rotor that moves the caliper close to the wheel rim?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slip on rotor such as the 350z track rotor that moves the caliper close to the wheel rim. I am using MM 5 lug hubs with the 3/4 offset and have a G35 with Brembo's. This weekend I'll pull a rotor and slip it over the MM hub to see how much adapter bracket is needed.

OP just out of curiosity...why did you opt to convert to five lug? Was it for a wider range of wheel choices? 300Zx brakes on the s30 have always interested me. Although if I do decide to make the plunge I would like to maintain my 4 lug wheel pattern. Hopefully similar to rock autos Z.

387674689.jpg

If you use the massive 350z track rotors you have to convert to 5 lug.(a good 1"+ bigger in diameter than z32 brakes/like 1.5"+bigger than z31 brakes)Also on the rear your going to have a hard time finding a 4 lug rotor thats vented enough(thick enough) for the z32 rear caliper to clamp. More brake rotor options, not only that but more wheel options as well.

Edited by B00STDZ

Its really all about setup. Remember converting to 350z track rotors you have to run at least a 17" rim. Also must select a proper rim(usually low offset) that will clear the brake caliper which is scooted close to the rim.

If you want to run smaller rims big brake rotors probably arent for you.

Edited by B00STDZ

Some pictures of z32 calipers w/ rims. Notice how close the caliper is to the rim. I think it looks really good, some might not like that.

img4875050524dd4.jpg

^That is the late model iron caliper off of the 93-96 the two pistons take a more distinct mold on the caliper.

img487873e372434.jpg

z32 brake rotor vs 350z track rotor

img48499e410c72f.jpg

^That is the early Aluminum caliper off of the 91-93 early

Edited by B00STDZ

I love the idea. Oem parts are always a good option. However, not to sound ignorant but do you think that with all the parts and labour you have collected it would have been cheaper To go with something like the wilwood kit from azc?

I havent asked for a quote on how much it would be to make a bracket. But say $400 middle of the row rotors, $200 labor/materials for the bracket... that would be $600 for me and I already have calipers for free.

I havent asked for a quote on how much it would be to make a bracket. But say $400 middle of the row rotors, $200 labor/materials for the bracket... that would be $600 for me and I already have calipers for free.

yea. just food for thought on people who think about rear disk conversions. kits like the MSA or MM come in about 700 with calipers. thats where the wilwoods start as well. the only offset with the wilwoods is that you would have to upgrade the fronts as well. I am inbetween on both. I love OEM becuase of availability but price wise, wilwoods look nice.

I'm pretty sure you have to run a 17 or more rim to fit the Wilwood brake package. I know not many z guys/girls want to increase the rim size that much. And on the plus side when you need to replace a damaged or wornout caliper you can pick up a reman from the parts shop for under $100.

I'm pretty sure you have to run a 17 or more rim to fit the Wilwood brake package. I know not many z guys/girls want to increase the rim size that much. And on the plus side when you need to replace a damaged or wornout caliper you can pick up a reman from the parts shop for under $100.

no you can run 16's. need 13.75 inches for the inner diameter. People who do the MM or MSA rear disk conversion spend around 700 with the full fit which is similar pricing to the wilwoods. But the wilwoods will outperform the others. You are right about availability.