HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive build. Can only imagine how much this is costing you. Definitely giving me ideas and information I will use in my build once it starts.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm $40,000 into it to be exact and the car is in primer. I expect to have over $70,000 in to it when I'm done. Hope to complete it before the end of 2013. It should be a monster with 605 hp on motor and 200 hp extra on the bottle in case it's needed. :)

Edited by alainburon

600-800 hp + R200...I'll be watching closely.  What stub axle/companion flange kit (and how many splines) did you go with?  I'm toying with doing the billet stub thing...

I hear you, believe me I thought long on hard about what set up to run with that will handle that power. After doing some research and talking to some experienced drive train members I decided to run the OSGiken unit in the R200, the 39 spline billet stub axle and companion flange along with the M2 axle shafts.

I think my R200  and stub axles will take the power but I still have doubts about the axle shafts and CV joints. I figured worst case scenario I can have some custom built. The thing is my car will never see a race track and will not have slicks. I may run drag radials at some point but my main purpose is street use and car shows. I hope my only problem will be traction. :icon10:

Installed a new Kenwood head unit with 3 inch screen for video viewing and back up camera option to the new center console I just received. Also fitted an Aux audio port and Nitrous enable swith. Installed both power window switches along with the chrome ashtray and Hybrid Z logo chromed ashtray handle.  Waiting on Ipod interface cable and XM radio antenna coversion cable to use with the 2010 Corolla XM antenna I will be installing on the car. Not much progress but it's something. Looks like I may get the car back from paint in Feb. 2013, that will be one year since I dropped it off.

post-14557-0-00495700-1354997261_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-92133000-1354997272_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-55428300-1354997284_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-15538100-1354997296_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still not much progess, Just got the seats back from the upholstery shop. Used blue double stitching to match the color of the car. I had the seat brackets sand blasted and painted at the body shop working on my car. Replaced all the hardware with stainless bolts.

I just love the smell a leather, not bad for 34 year old seats.

post-14557-0-19032000-1358098919_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-99913300-1358099052_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-13397400-1358099101_thumb.jpg

Edited by alainburon

1960/Jones area?  I was told a few years back to go to them as well.  I am trying to line out a place for me to take my car.  I am by no means in a hurry.  I will not be ready for paint for about 12 months.......

They are on Veterans Memorial between Richey and Antoine. They do awesome work, they are not super fast or cheap either. I should have my car back from them in March I hope. You are welcome to come by and take a look at the work they do and see if it's something you may be interested in.

• 1 month later...

Got my twin disc clutch and Hurst adjustable shifter from Tick Performance. I like the quality and I hope it works just as good as it looks. I decided to go with the McLeod RST twin disc set up with their steel flywheel as it is supposed to be very street friendly and good to 800 ft/lbs. It took a little longer than usual to get it because I had McLeod balance the clutch and flywheel together. No hurry anyways since I have not even ordered the motor yet and my car still a couple of months from being back from the bodyshop.

I also got the 1" Wilwood brake master cylinder fitted to the brake booster.

post-14557-0-68799400-1361119982_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-83454800-1361119991_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-32886600-1361120012_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-12691600-1361120029_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-03948100-1361120044_thumb.jpg

I just picked up my leather wrapped rear speaker panel from the upholstery shop and installed the 6X9 JL audio speakers. Not much progress as I'm running out of things I can do without the car body.

I just got a email from Tick Performance stating that my transmission shipped out yesterday. Will post pics when it arrives.

post-14557-0-51548300-1361630199_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-48093500-1361630216_thumb.jpg

Alain how difficult was it to get that 1" BMC put together properly? I have the exact same one that came in my kit and need to install it soon

Mike, it was very easy for me since I bought it already converted to fit an S30, the master cylinder modifications are done already and it bolts right in place of the old one. I bought it from www.datsunpartsllc.com. Good guys to deal with.

Since you already have one I believe there is a thread in the brakes section on how to modify the 1" Wilwood MC to fit the S30.

Thanks Alain, I read up on it a while ago but haven't had time to do the rear disk swap and planned to do the BMC at the same time. I'm getting my frame rails re done as well as re mounting the seats to a better spot. Just got a fast intake/TB and some bigger injectors so give me a week or so and ill let you drive it so you can have an idea of what it's gonna be like. It's def no LS3 but it should hold you over for awhile.

Thanks Alain, I read up on it a while ago but haven't had time to do the rear disk swap and planned to do the BMC at the same time. I'm getting my frame rails re done as well as re mounting the seats to a better spot. Just got a fast intake/TB and some bigger injectors so give me a week or so and ill let you drive it so you can have an idea of what it's gonna be like. It's def no LS3 but it should hold you over for awhile.

Sounds good to me, your car should run great after you do all the upgardes you are working on, it already looks bad a**. The only reason I'm doing an LS3 is because I'm starting from scratch. If I had a set up like you I would not do an LS3.

Awesome build ! Definitely going to use some of your ideas and others to finiish mine .

Thank you, a lot of my ideas have came from this forum. I'm glad I could inspire you as I have been by reading other's build threads.

Alain, Incredible build you have going here. I can't wait to see it's completeion!

Thanks for the compliment, I can't wait either. I hope to be done this year as long as the engine price does not keep going up. It has gone up $2K since I started my build.