HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

There's no way I can wait that long . I know you are doing everything all at once . I'm still working on both of mine but at least both are running . Only bad thing is that I'm getting a little lazy to work on them , having too much fun driving them . LOL .

I wish I could drive mine like you are but I know myself, if I did it that way I would never finish. Even though I would have a good time driving.

The thing that is holding me up is the body shop. The car has been there almost 1 1/2 years now. I thought about taking it somewhere else but everyone that is good at what they do don't want to go over someone else's work so I'm stuck with them until they finish it. I have a room full of parts just waiting on the car to come back from the body shop.

Problem # 2 is the budget I had set aside has been blown already, partly due to all the chrome I'm doing but also with upgrades I did not anticipate when I started. The body shop in another one that has killed my budget. At first they estimated it should take about $12,000 to do the work we discussed and so far I have spent more than that and the car is not even painted yet. :hs:

I guess it's just the usual issue with every project, time and money...LOL

Crap, what kind of body work you having done. I have seen good work, meaning body and paint for 4K.

I understand what you mean but this is restoration and fab work with a show quality paint finish, long way from an average paint job. The work these guys do wins best of paint at most large shows their vehicles compete in. Work like that in Houston is by the hour as they have no way of knowing what is under the paint until they take it down to bare metal.

There is over 300 hours on my car so far and I brought them a shell with no interior. If they had to disassemble it would be more than that.

When I had my car painted in 1994 for $1200, the dude estimated 3 weeks-it too 4 months with me coming by EVERYDAY to make sure he kept on it.  He underestimated, so he had to take other projects around mine to keep fed.  He did stick to his original price, but I paid with time delay.  My paint is all cracked and chipped up now but I have NO interest in paint and body any earlier than I have to.  I WANNA DRIVE!!!

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran across this thread.  I've been pretty much off the site for the last 6 years.  My son and I both have LS1 powered S30's.  His is a wide body  WIP and mine has been a daily driver for the past 10 years.  His has an R230 with cryogenically hardened halfshafts and mine has an LSD R200 with U-joints - and I've broken one with only 325 RWHP.  We've lived these cars for some time now and can talk pretty well about manners and oopsies. If you have a question PM either me or my son, DarthZ.

I just ran across this thread.  I've been pretty much off the site for the last 6 years.  My son and I both have LS1 powered S30's.  His is a wide body  WIP and mine has been a daily driver for the past 10 years.  His has an R230 with cryogenically hardened halfshafts and mine has an LSD R200 with U-joints - and I've broken one with only 325 RWHP.  We've lived these cars for some time now and can talk pretty well about manners and oopsies. If you have a question PM either me or my son, DarthZ.

Thank you very much, I'm sure when I start putting this car together I will have a few questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get a chance to run by there this week?

No sir, I had to go out of towm on a project but I will be there next week to see how the car is coming along.

I hope you plan to buy mirrors to put under your car!

I guess I could....LOL. I will put it in indor car shows but I will drive it as well. This will not be a garage queen that's for sure. I should invest some money in chrome cleaner. :icon7:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...