HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

We had to relocate the wiper delay module to the driver’s side foot well due to spacing constraints in the passenger side area. I was able to get the Cable X Box as well as the T56 Reverse Lock Out Module in the same spot. That’s where the factory ECU was located therefore everything is hidden behind the original ECU cover.

We are using a Milspec connector to run all the T56 Reverse Lock Out Module, master cylinder, Temperature sensor (for Home Link Rear View Mirror), windshield washer pump and engine bay light wiring through the firewall next to the brake booster.

Cable X Box.JPG

Cable X Box-2.JPG

Transmission Milspec Connector-2.JPG

Transmission Milspec Connector.JPG

Thanks Guys,

We are moving forward again. After numerous attempts we finally got the cold air intake completed. The goal was to make a one piece intake without any welds showing. We made one out of aluminum first and just could not make it smooth enough around the welds to chrome without compromising the integrity of the welds. Not to mention the 4 inch tubing did not line up very good especially if the weld is close to a bend. There seemed to be a step that even though was not noticeable in raw aluminum it would have been magnified once chrome plated.

So we decided to go back to the drawing board and make it out of stainless. The guys at Prospeed Autosport formerly D3 Performance did an amazing job welding the intake and the chrome platers gave it the finishing touch. We put the Air Temperature Sensor as far away from the engine bay as possible in order to minimize heat soak and added a 6AN bung for the oil catch can system. I also worked closely with K&N to ensure we have the  right size filter for this motor. The last thing I want is for the filter not to flow enough air for the motor and I have seen that numerous times. People using a tiny filter on a big power motor.  

We also made a bracket which we powder coated black that attaches to the front of the air filter to keep it from moving around.

We should be able to fire it up in the next week or so. Can’t wait to hear it run for the first time in years.

Cold Air Intake-2.JPG

Cold Air Intake 2.JPG

Cold Air Intake Filter.JPG

Cold Air Intake.JPG

Cold Air Intake Filter Bracket.JPG

Thank you,

It's a K&N Air Filter RC-5171 it flows 1654 cfm and my motor requires 1038 cfm according to all the calculations we have done. It is a pretty good size but I wanted to make sure I was covered in case I increase the Nitrous shot. I angled it downwards a little in order not to obstruct the radiator too much. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, Fullauto said:

Congrats!  gonna turn heads

cruisin around in that beauty

Thanks I will have it on the road this year. Had a set back and it's going back to the body shop in May to be repainted. :(

It bummed me out to the point that I have not touched the car in months. 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, Phantom said:

Now you just need a Braille battery with a custom Skillard battery box.🙄

I decided to go with the Odyssey Battery 34-PC1500. It had good reviews and I can get it locally if anything goes wrong.  

Edited by alainburon

• 4 months later...

I'm back working on the Z again. Was able to get the Headlight Harness completed and installed. That harness controls the headlights, horns, side markers, turn signals, electric fans and A/C trinary switch. It should all stay tucked under the fender liner for a clean look. 

I fitted all the body panels back on the car. Getting ready for a 4 wheel alignment and then to get the exhaust completed, I should be able to get that done this weekend if it the rains holds. It's a shame to do all this work and have to take back apart again when it goes back to the body shop. 

Headlight Harness.jpg

Headlight Harness-2.jpg

Headlight Harness-3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had the 4 alignment done and dropped the car off at a friend's house to get the exhaust redone. The exhaust was just too close to the inside of the rear tires for my taste so we decided to redo the entire thing since I still needed to have the section between the headers and X pipe done anyways. It felt good to drive it a few feet after all these years. 

Alignment 2.JPG

7 minutes ago, trackzpeed said:

Such a beautiful car. Nice work and attention to detail. 

Thank You, I still want to have it repainted. There are some flaws that my anal self just can't live with but it looks good from 10 feet away....LOL