HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, they did a good job, I was surprised when I saw it. Yes the tank is internally baffled and it's 24X20X8.

The question is, did they save the plans so they can make me one? hahaha. But seriously. What did that set you back if you don't mind my asking?

The question is, did they save the plans so they can make me one? hahaha. But seriously. What did that set you back if you don't mind my asking?

I just spoke with John Harrison at the fab shop and he said he can make another tank just like mine for around $400 as long as you are not using the factory fuel sending unit. It cost me more since I wanted to use the factory sending unit therefore they had to cut the top section of my original tank where the sending unit mounts to and integrate it to this tank. He can do that if you wish you would just have to send him that section of your original tank.

I'm picking up the car this weekend to take it to the body/restoration shop and I will remove the fuel tank before I drop the car off at the body shop. I need to remove the sending unit and send it in to be rebuilt. I can take pictures of the tank out of the car and post it if you would like.

I just spoke with John Harrison at the fab shop and he said he can make another tank just like mine for around $400 as long as you are not using the factory fuel sending unit. It cost me more since I wanted to use the factory sending unit therefore they had to cut the top section of my original tank where the sending unit mounts to and integrate it to this tank. He can do that if you wish you would just have to send him that section of your original tank.

I'm picking up the car this weekend to take it to the body/restoration shop and I will remove the fuel tank before I drop the car off at the body shop. I need to remove the sending unit and send it in to be rebuilt. I can take pictures of the tank out of the car and post it if you would like.

that would be sweet. thanks

Also, can you take some pictures standing a ways back from the car so i can see how well the tank tucks? I'm assuming that filler is connected to the stock location? What pump / filter setup is that?

One more thing - can you ask them what the cost would be with a standard 0-90 ohm sending unit?

I'm really liking this design... :)

Edited by SUNNY Z
  • Like 1

that would be sweet. thanks

Also, can you take some pictures standing a ways back from the car so i can see how well the tank tucks? I'm assuming that filler is connected to the stock location? What pump / filter setup is that?

One more thing - can you ask them what the cost would be with a standard 0-90 ohm sending unit?

I'm really liking this design... :)

Will do, I will take some pictures this weekend and post them. The tank is abour 1/2 lower than the rear valance. The filler is connected to the stock location using 2" fuel flex line. The pump is an Aeromotive (PN 11106) and the prefilter is a SX (PN 13101).

With the standard 0-90 ohm sending unit the tank would be the same price plus the cost of the sending unit if they provide it.

Ive seen a couple FSU's on ebay so that might be another option you could look at. What's the name of the shop i might have one done as well, dose it use the stock filler port or is there one inside?

The name of the shop is Specialty Metal Craft, located in Hempstead Highway. They are well known around here for doing a lot of fab work for all the race shops. It uses the stock fuel filler port just need 2" fuel filler flex hose to make the connection from the tank to the filler neck.

Edited by alainburon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well after some research I decided to get the M2 shortened axles. I have read about too many axles being a tight fit. I figured I have way too much money invested in the differential to take any chances. Ordered new boot kits since a friend came over to help me disassemble the axles and cut all the boots in half to take them off. Pretty cool of him especially since the boots he cut were new. Needless to say he was relieved of his helping duties immediately.

Received M2 axles and send them out to be powder coated to match the rest of the drive train. Got axles back from powder coating and assembled them, this time with no help from any friends.....LOL

post-14557-031786700 1331042310_thumb.jpg

post-14557-054191400 1331042322_thumb.jpg

post-14557-018617100 1331042332_thumb.jpg

With helpers like that it's a wonder that most of us do our Z work solo!

Ordered new boot kits since a friend came over to help me disassemble the axles and cut all the boots in half to take them off. Pretty cool of him especially since the boots he cut were new. Needless to say he was relieved of his helping duties immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

I like those tips, but I thought a dual 4" tip might be a bit gaudy on this small of a car, that's the reason I just went with a 3". I'll be interested to see how this sounds though. Looks good!

I thought the same thing about the 4" tips but when I put it up to the back of the car they looked good to me. I will post a clip of how the car sounds but I'm a long way from that. I have not even ordered the motor yet and it may be 4 to 6 months before I get my car back from the restoration shop. I just needed the mufflers in order for the restoration shop to cut the proper holes in the rear pannel of the car.

Are you putting a cage in your car? If I had access to someone with the equipment and skills, I would. Now that my car is all shiney, I don't want to make any changes. I wish I'd put a cage in it way back when. Especially now that it is so freakin' fast. You are gonna love your LS hybrid.