HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

I love the molded in flares! Where'd you find them?

Thank you,

The fiberglass flares I had on the car were installed a very long time ago (maybe 20 years ago) and came from Jim Cook Racing. I'm not sure if they are still around. Those are the ones on the painted car.

The ones that are on there now are made out of steel, and they are the ones primered. The body shop basically heated the quarter panels and shaped them into flares then added the necessary metal to make them wide enough.

We decided to go this route because when they took the rear quarter panels down to bare metal the fiberglass flares were starting to come loose from the metal as well as rust was developing under them. We figured making them out of steel would be more durable (even though 20 years is not bad) and don’t have to worry about disbonding issues. I just asked them to get as close to the fiberglass flares as possible when they started making the steel ones because I liked the shape they were.

Hope that helps.

post-14557-0-83576800-1404106676_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-60555200-1404106781_thumb.jpg

Got my motor from Mast. Very happy with the Dyno results. I could have gotten a few more hp but I asked Mast to build it for a 200hp shot of Nitrous, still 620hp NA is not bad. I was able to install the flywheel and clutch but could not fit the transmission because I need to add shims. I should be able to have it all together this weekend though depending on how hard I party on the 4th......

Dyno Results.pdf

post-14557-0-81140800-1404312071_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-32544400-1404312092_thumb.jpg

Edited by alainburon

First off, what an OUTSTANDING BUILD!!! :2thumbs:  I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I'm still in the "research" phase of my 260z/LS2 build and your thread has given me tons of great info.  When my wife starts complaining about the $$$$ I'm spending, I'm going to point her to your thread to show how bad it could've been. :D

<snip> but could not fit the transmission because I need to add shims. </snip>

I'm still on the fence whether to go with an auto or manual, but can you explain where shimming is necessary with the T56?  I have experience rebuilding/installing Muncie's and TKO 5-speeds, but have never messed with a T56.

Keep up the GREAT WORK!

Dan

Edited by dhardison

First off, what an OUTSTANDING BUILD!!! :2thumbs:  I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I'm still in the "research" phase of my 260z/LS2 build and your thread has given me tons of great info.  When my wife starts complaining about the $$$$ I'm spending, I'm going to point her to your thread to show how bad it could've been. :D

I'm still on the fence whether to go with an auto or manual, but can you explain where shimming is necessary with the T56?  I have experience rebuilding/installing Muncie's and TKO 5-speeds, but have never messed with a T56.

Keep up the GREAT WORK!

Dan

Thank you Dan,

An LS2 260Z build should be nice, not too many of those around.

LOL... I know what you mean about the wife complaining, my project has headed a direction it was not intended to go money wise but it is one of those things that I'm too far into it to change gears.

As for the transmission I personally think the first thing to consider is the purpose or intended use of the car and secondly it is all about personal preference. If you are building a drag racer then I would go with an auto but if you are building a street car to have fun in on the weekends then I would go manual.

The shim goes behind the slave cylinder. There needs to be a gap of .125" to .200" between the bearing and clutch. If you have less clearance you need to call the clutch manufacturer and discuss it with them as that could cause premature clutch wear but if you have more than .200” than a shim must be added to reduce the spacing. In my case I had .365" gap therefore I fitted a .0180" shim. I have attached a diagram showing where the measurements are taken. Hope that helps.

Clutch.pdf

Sorry about that I have been asleep at the wheel for the last few weeks.....

The Dyno was done there at Mast prior to leaving their facilities.  They built it with a T56 Magnum. 

I am going by PowerFab next week to check on my car.  Mon I am dropping my truck off for a bigger lift, I should have it back on Thurs or late Friday.  I will go out to PowerFab to check in on Thursday if I have time (it is my daughter's 5th birthday and I am building a electric RZR car for her.... (not stock)

After this month things should slow down to where I can meet up with you Alain.

Hit me up via pm to try and set something up.

That's right I recall him telling me that he is getting the transmission from Mast as well. I will PM you my contact info, I think you were going to meet up with Mike as well maybe we can all meet up since I live near Mike.

Just received my tail lights this week as well. I had bought them on ebay a while back and sent them off to be restored. The pictures do not do them justice, they look brand new. Well worth the wait.

post-14557-0-83834000-1404697251_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-52922200-1404697298_thumb.jpg

Thank you Dan,

An LS2 260Z build should be nice, not too many of those around.

LOL... I know what you mean about the wife complaining, my project has headed a direction it was not intended to go money wise but it is one of those things that I'm too far into it to change gears.

As for the transmission I personally think the first thing to consider is the purpose or intended use of the car and secondly it is all about personal preference. If you are building a drag racer then I would go with an auto but if you are building a street car to have fun in on the weekends then I would go manual.

The shim goes behind the slave cylinder. There needs to be a gap of .125" to .200" between the bearing and clutch. If you have less clearance you need to call the clutch manufacturer and discuss it with them as that could cause premature clutch wear but if you have more than .200” than a shim must be added to reduce the spacing. In my case I had .365" gap therefore I fitted a .0180" shim. I have attached a diagram showing where the measurements are taken. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the clutch/throwout bearing info.  I know an auto will be an easier install, but a manual trans will be so much more fun to drive....  I've been on the lookout for a used/rebuildable T56 for the past few months, but so far no luck.

What are your plans for the engine harness/ECM?

• 1 month later...

Beautiful motor...... how long will it take you to clean it after you go out?

Thanks, Not sure about the cleaning but I can imagine it is not going to be easy. This car will never see rain if I can help it and only comes out on sunny days so I hope it may just be some minor dust I have to clean.

I don't want to own it, pay for it or drive it, but I definitely want to have sex with it! Sorry, that's a little weird.....

LOL, hey no sex with my baby.

What about a new stock tensioner? I just replaced mine thinking the pulley was squeaking but it was just a belt.

Oh yeah and I always carry a spare belt (and walbro/1qt oil/antifreeze) lol never can be too careful!

Edited by EastTnZ