HybridZ

Just went thru this and wrote a little thread. 5/16 is so close to 8mm that I can't tell any difference. Metric has some weird spec (10.9) that isn't the same as "grade 8," so I went with 5/16 grade 8 bolts. Had to order them long and cut them off to be correct length and have a long enough shank. Source and part numbers are in the thread. Thread is located on page 2 of this forum entitled: Driveshaft Bolts for JCI driveshaft

Edited by RebekahsZ

Just went thru this and wrote a little thread. 5/16 is so close to 8mm that I can't tell any difference. Metric has some weird spec (10.9) that isn't the same as "grade 8," so I went with 5/16 grade 8 bolts. Had to order them long and cut them off to be correct length and have a long enough shank. Source and part numbers are in the thread. Thread is located on page 2 of this forum entitled: Driveshaft Bolts for JCI driveshaft

haha I thought you guys were working waaaaay too hard. I just used standard all along :blink:

Well after several months of waiting I finally have a spot at the local fab shop that will be installing the frame rails and building my fuel tank. They stay very busy and it's difficult to get your car in there but well worth the wait.

I removed the dash and shipped it to Dash Restorations USA for full restoration. It should look like it did from the factory. Those guys do awesome work.

Also removed all A/C components and replaced the heater core. Ordered a new evaporator and expasion valve along with a new condenser.

post-14557-099474100 1326045378_thumb.jpg

post-14557-093423700 1326045399_thumb.jpg

Mind posting or shooting me a PM on how much the dash restoration was? There is a place called just dashes or something in cali I was thinking of using just want to compare prices.

thanks-

Pat

The dash will cost me $975, I thought of using Just Dashes but these guys were a little cheaper vs. the $1500 that Just Dashes quoted me and do the same quality work. Hope this helps.

The dash will cost me $975, I thought of using Just Dashes but these guys were a little cheaper vs. the $1500 that Just Dashes quoted me and do the same quality work. Hope this helps.

Ya thats sounds alot more reasonable than what just dashes quoted me as well. I won't need it done for a few months but im trying to get an idea of how much my project is gonna run me. Trying to plan out for it instead of jumping in and not keeping track of my spending. I'd like to keep the total bill under 15k, considering what I bought the car for should be fairly easy. Thanks a ton for the info and keep up the good work on the car! I can't wait to see it when its done.

I just noticed your in Houston, maybe I will get to see this car in person when its done! :)

-Pat

Edited by MrCleburn

Just came back from the fab shop. They have installed the bad dog frame rails. They have also completed the fuel tank and also notched the front differential mount for dual exhaust. Tank is 17.5 gallons (more than I expected and it does not hang down much past the rear valance. Still have to remove the tank to send the stock fuel sending unit to be rebuilt. It seems nobody makes those anymore and I want to keep my stock gauges. also would like to have the straps that hold the tank in place powder coated or chromed, I have not decided yet.

post-14557-091052200 1327767143_thumb.jpg

post-14557-078335900 1327767154_thumb.jpg

post-14557-054331700 1327767163_thumb.jpg

post-14557-091617600 1327767343_thumb.jpg

Thanks, they did a good job, I was surprised when I saw it. Yes the tank is internally baffled and it's 24X20X8.

The question is, did they save the plans so they can make me one? hahaha. But seriously. What did that set you back if you don't mind my asking?

The question is, did they save the plans so they can make me one? hahaha. But seriously. What did that set you back if you don't mind my asking?

I just spoke with John Harrison at the fab shop and he said he can make another tank just like mine for around $400 as long as you are not using the factory fuel sending unit. It cost me more since I wanted to use the factory sending unit therefore they had to cut the top section of my original tank where the sending unit mounts to and integrate it to this tank. He can do that if you wish you would just have to send him that section of your original tank.

I'm picking up the car this weekend to take it to the body/restoration shop and I will remove the fuel tank before I drop the car off at the body shop. I need to remove the sending unit and send it in to be rebuilt. I can take pictures of the tank out of the car and post it if you would like.

I just spoke with John Harrison at the fab shop and he said he can make another tank just like mine for around $400 as long as you are not using the factory fuel sending unit. It cost me more since I wanted to use the factory sending unit therefore they had to cut the top section of my original tank where the sending unit mounts to and integrate it to this tank. He can do that if you wish you would just have to send him that section of your original tank.

I'm picking up the car this weekend to take it to the body/restoration shop and I will remove the fuel tank before I drop the car off at the body shop. I need to remove the sending unit and send it in to be rebuilt. I can take pictures of the tank out of the car and post it if you would like.

that would be sweet. thanks

Also, can you take some pictures standing a ways back from the car so i can see how well the tank tucks? I'm assuming that filler is connected to the stock location? What pump / filter setup is that?

One more thing - can you ask them what the cost would be with a standard 0-90 ohm sending unit?

I'm really liking this design... :)

Edited by SUNNY Z
  • Like 1

that would be sweet. thanks

Also, can you take some pictures standing a ways back from the car so i can see how well the tank tucks? I'm assuming that filler is connected to the stock location? What pump / filter setup is that?

One more thing - can you ask them what the cost would be with a standard 0-90 ohm sending unit?

I'm really liking this design... :)

Will do, I will take some pictures this weekend and post them. The tank is abour 1/2 lower than the rear valance. The filler is connected to the stock location using 2" fuel flex line. The pump is an Aeromotive (PN 11106) and the prefilter is a SX (PN 13101).

With the standard 0-90 ohm sending unit the tank would be the same price plus the cost of the sending unit if they provide it.

Ive seen a couple FSU's on ebay so that might be another option you could look at. What's the name of the shop i might have one done as well, dose it use the stock filler port or is there one inside?

The name of the shop is Specialty Metal Craft, located in Hempstead Highway. They are well known around here for doing a lot of fab work for all the race shops. It uses the stock fuel filler port just need 2" fuel filler flex hose to make the connection from the tank to the filler neck.

Edited by alainburon