HybridZ

Budget 6 bolt 280Zx CV adapter for 280Z w//R200

NewZed

I have some spare parts to work with and wondered about making an "inexpensive" (maybe) adapter for using 1983 280ZXT CV shafts on a 1976 280Z. Rather than cutting steel and precision machining 20 or more holes to make an adapter, could I cut and weld existing pieces to get the same result. I have the companion flanges from the 83 ZXT and the u-joint yokes from the 76. Could I cut and weld these two pieces together to achieve the same result as described here - http://alteredz.com/280ZCVHalfshaftConversion.htm

I've attached a picture with the two pieces aligned to show the two mating surfaces at the approximate distance apart they would be after cutting and welding. I've taken some rough measurements of CV and U-joint shafts and the flanges and it looks like this would work if the adapter is under 1 3/8" thick. The picture is taken with the critical surfaces ~1 3/*" apart.

I have little experience welding and don't know what materials these two pieces are made from. I'm looking for insights anyone can offer on the feasibility of cutting and welding these two pieces, plus the effort required to align the four hole side with the six hole side, on center.

Thanks.

post-8864-093769900 1305082517_thumb.jpg

The idea on the alteredz link is too adapt the 280z 27 spline stub axle to the 280zx cv halfshaft. To do this he combined the 280z companion flange which would mate to the 280z stub and the 280zx companion flange that would mate to the 280zx halfshaft. What do you expect that u-joint to mate to?

I should have put more work in to my pictures. Here's an edited picture, showing what I was thinking they might look like after cutting/machining (set side by side). The CV companion flange should be easily cut on a lathe (I think), the four bolt 280Z axle side might take more work, to cut the u-joint straps off and grind it to thickness. Welding the two together gives an adapter that connects the four bolt axle flange to the six bolt CV shaft. I'm guessing that they are both forged steel, so if the bolt holes are accessible after welding, maybe with a couple of small gussets or filler for strength, it might work.

I'm looking it as I have two parts with 80% of the machining done, with the locating ring on the four bolt side in place and the recess for the CV side built in. Can I finish it and make it work is the question and will it hold up. The car is just a stock 1976 280Z.

post-8864-082917300 1305144923_thumb.jpg

Edited by NewZed

I don't know, I think I was looking at your first post backwards. I see what you're trying to do and if you could pull it off you have a marketable product since Modern Motorsports seems to be getting difficult to deal with. cv_adaptor.jpg

This is MM's 280zx adapter.

companion-flange.jpg

This is the one I got from them.

Sorry I can't give you any dimensions and I think they are critical, there's not a lot of room for error in this setup.

Seems too me if you took a 280zx companion flange and cut it down and a 280z companion flange and cut it down you could weld them together and have what MM produces. Tolerances is what would be tough. To weld the together you would have to make some sort of jig to hold true so they are square and centered.

No, sorry, I missed that one. I had already been thinking about it when I started searching so didn't look through all of the results. Thanks for the link. It looks similar to the alteredz website drawing, but with studs instead of through holes. That's similar to what I want, just without the machining costs. A guess on cost to have cygnus1's design made??? Maybe I'm wasting my time. It seems a like a fairly simple adapter to make if you have the equipment, that a lot of people might use if it was available for purchase.

The alteredz site referred to the bolt length problem also and recommends cutting them down a small amount. As long as the threads get full purchase on the nut, ~3/4 bolt lengths should work [Edit - actually ~1 inch, I left the length of the nut out - would be very tight], I assume (2 x 1/4" flange thickness, + 1/4" bolt head thickness), but it would be tight. The other option is to put the bolts in from the outside and nuts inside, but that's probably 20 individual aggravations to get them installed.

Thanks again for the link. I think that a good lathe and a welder might get the job done, but can't say for sure.

Edited by NewZed

I don't know, I think I was looking at your first post backwards. I see what you're trying to do and if you could pull it off you have a marketable product since Modern Motorsports seems to be getting difficult to deal with. cv_adaptor.jpg

This is MM's 280zx adapter.

companion-flange.jpg

This is the one I got from them.

Sorry I can't give you any dimensions and I think they are critical, there's not a lot of room for error in this setup.

Seems too me if you took a 280zx companion flange and cut it down and a 280z companion flange and cut it down you could weld them together and have what MM produces. Tolerances is what would be tough. To weld the together you would have to make some sort of jig to hold true so they are square and centered.

I guess I'll take some more precise measurements, grab my parts and visit some local shops just to see how feasible it is. The machining of the u-joint yoke might cost more than just starting from flat plate. The CV companion flange looks like it might be a good starting point though.

MM takes a 280Z campanion flange, modifes it(I assume cutting it down) and then welds on their machined cv adapter. Remember this whole thing gets held to the stub axel with that big gland nut and torqued to somehwere around 240 ft/lbs. The cv halfshaft is bolted to it with 6 bolts.

What I'm trying to do is more along the lines of cygnus1 and alteredz, just using factory parts to save some time and money. Just a single piece with two parallel flanges, no splines. One flange with four holes to bolt to the 280Z axle side companion flange and the other flange will have six holes to bolt to the CV shaft flange. I won't even take the 280Z companion flange off of the car, just pop the diff side stub shafts out, insert the CV shafts, insert the adapter and bolt it all together. That's the concept.

If you look at the picture in Post #3 you can see the four hole flange on the left (cut down from the u-joint yoke) and the six hole CV flange on the right (with the splined section cut off). Those two parts will be welded together.

Thanks for the feedback and the other links. This is just one more way to get some flexibility in parts selection for the future.

cygnusx1's design looks very good (link from JSM above) -

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/34969-cv-adapter-print/page__p__452891__hl__%2Badapter+%2Bdrawing__fromsearch__1#entry452891

and the threaded holes with studs or properly sized bolts looks like the easy way to lock the pieces together. Weld the adapter to the 280Z flange and you have essentially the MM adapter, in function.

Would anyone with machine shop experience like to venture a guess on the least expensive way to get there - machining from steel stock (cygnusx1 design) or welding cut and machined factory pieces (original topic of this thread)?

Thanks.

Edited by NewZed

• 2 years later...

cygnusx1's design looks very good (link from JSM above) -

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/34969-cv-adapter-print/page__p__452891__hl__%2Badapter+%2Bdrawing__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=452891

and the threaded holes with studs or properly sized bolts looks like the easy way to lock the pieces together. Weld the adapter to the 280Z flange and you have essentially the MM adapter, in function.

Would anyone with machine shop experience like to venture a guess on the least expensive way to get there - machining from steel stock (cygnusx1 design) or welding cut and machined factory pieces (original topic of this thread)?

Thanks.

Bringing this thread back to life, too bad no one chimed in on the estimated costs for both designs.

I am seeking a less expensive design than the MM/Joe"s mounts, see thread here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/117242-cv-half-shaft-swaps-in-2014-any-less-expensive-alternatives/

One that does not involve removing the big gland nut on the 280X stub axle and swapping out the companion flange for the MM one but a simple bolt in adaptor for the 300ZXT CV axles. it would be nice if it was thinner also