HybridZ

Porterfield brake pads/not the right size?

Ordered the R4S, part number AP137 and they are not long enough for the pins that hold the pads in place to be inserted.

WTF?

Even on Porterfield's website it says "ommon brake pads for 240,260,280Z Upgrade".

Clearly there's a mistake on their part, or mine. Worst part of it is that the invoice is stamped with non-refundable markings all over it. So great. I have a set of $80 useless pads.

Any ideas on what's the right part number?

Ordered the R4S, part number AP137 and they are not long enough for the pins that hold the pads in place to be inserted.

WTF?

Even on Porterfield's website it says "ommon brake pads for 240,260,280Z Upgrade".

Clearly there's a mistake on their part, or mine. Worst part of it is that the invoice is stamped with non-refundable markings all over it. So great. I have a set of $80 useless pads.

Any ideas on what's the right part number?

From the Porterfield site AP137: Front for TOYOTA: 79-87 Pickup 4WD, 88 Pickup 4WD 4 Cyl exc. Turbo, 88 Pickup 4WD Turbo, 84-87 4Runner, 88 4Runner 4 Cyl, 76-89 Landcruiser

Common brake pads for 240,260,280Z Upgrade

Do you have this Toyota upgrade? What year Toyota? solid or vented set up?

Edited by Miles

I have Toyota 4x4 four piston set up from MSA along with their rear disk conversion. I just put on a set of Porterfield R4-S all around. The part number for the front is AP 410 and the rear is AP 230/323. They have much better feel and initial bite than the stock Toyota pads in front and Nissan in rear.

Yes I have the upgrade, it was installed when I bought the car a year ago. I was lead to believe it was the solid set up, but now I'm starting to feel like a dumb dumb and think I actually have the vented calipers.

Edit: Do'h!!!

After seeing this image:

205utkp.jpg

I now know that I have vented calipers. PO did not mention this, but ultimately my mistake for not knowing the difference.

On the flip side, I have a set of brand new front R4S brake pads for sale! :lol:

Edited by LoneStarS30Z

• 4 years later...

I have Toyota 4x4 four piston set up from MSA along with their rear disk conversion. I just put on a set of Porterfield R4-S all around. The part number for the front is AP 410 and the rear is AP 230/323. They have much better feel and initial bite than the stock Toyota pads in front and Nissan in rear.

My understanding is that the rear kit from MSA is based on a '90-94 Nissan 240sx (S13) rear calipers - that seems to indicate a Porterfield AP272.  Are those the calipers you have?