HybridZ

Do I HAVE to hoist my engine to replace oil pan gasket?

I just replaced an oil pan gasket on a 78z with a l28e in it. You DO NOT have to lift the engine to replace the gasket with the engine in the car. The problem everyone runs into is clearing the crossmember or the bellhousing. The reason for this Clarence issue is the oil pick up tube gets in the way. Once all the bolts in the pan are off and the pan is loose get a ratchet wrench and un do the two bolts that hold it in. Let the pickup tube drop in the pan and now you can pull the pan all the way out.

Edited by Driftinrican

I just replaced an oil pan gasket on a 78z with a l28e in it. You DO NOT have to lift the engine to replace the gasket with the engine in the car. The problem everyone runs into is clearing the crossmember or the bellhousing. The reason for this Clarence issue is the oil pick up tube gets in the way. Once all the bolts in the pan are off and the pan is loose get a ratchet wrench and un do the two bolts that hold it in. Let the pickup tube drop in the pan and now you can pull the pan all the way out.

How do you get the bolts back in and the pickup reinstalled?  Tiny hands?  Seems like good advice, just wondering.

How do you get the bolts back in and the pickup reinstalled?  Tiny hands?  Seems like good advice, just wondering.

The pick up is very easy to put back in.

There are two or three bolts on each side thar are at a tough angle. I used a magnetic ratchet with a long extension ans a angle joint on the end. Same old tricks like get it seated, thread it backwards very slowly until it clicks into the threading to help prevent cross threading, then screw it in.

It takes a second to get the pan in and it rubs the gasket kinda close. I rtv'ed the gasket to the pan prior to putting the pan back in, it worked well. Honestly, I think the ZX pan is a better plan. It could be woth it to hit the JY or ebay and swap to a ZX pan.

• 1 month later...

Tony D Post #17

Thank you kindly for the information on the Permatex Ultra Black. I used a gasket and did shoddy prep work and because it leaked I am doing it again.  A friend of mine told me about the Ultra Black and I was a bit hesitant.  He said that is all they use on the 300ZX TT.    

I bought the studs, all 31 of them and did 3 dry runs putting the pan in so I don't disturb the bead.  I also learned you can absolutely put the pan in with the oil pick up bolted to the bottom of the engine if you go in at the correct angle.  

Thank you again for the info!

Pete