HybridZ

LD28 Water Pumps

johnc

Here is the pump I received. Tried it again, and it definitely won't turn without modifying the valve cover.

IMG_20130927_100055_807-1_zpsd919a0d4.jp

Looks to be the larger impeller to me, but the only other I have is the stamped type so that's of no real use for comparison.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there are dremel marks on the outside identical to those recently posted.

Edited by LanceVance

Did a quick measurement on mine. Aisin impeller diameter measured 2.958" (75.133mm). It would not fit two stock covers I have. Impeller would contact the 7 o'clock area by the water inlet (?). For comparison, my stock pump impeller measured 2.741" (69.621mm) and spun freely. Mine have the grind marks as well. Looks like they ground off a previous serial number or manufacturer name.

I came up with the same approximate measurement (75mm) for the impeller on the one I received.  Mine does have the ground off spot on the front as well.

Well I went and did a search for WPN079 on RockAuto and I get a Valeo water pump. So no idea what it's for, because it's not listed under Diesel Maxima. Never mind, looks like it's for a 280ZX and some other Nissan vehicles

Edited by DuoWing

• 3 weeks later...

Well I went and did a search for WPN079 on RockAuto and I get a Valeo water pump. So no idea what it's for, because it's not listed under Diesel Maxima. Never mind, looks like it's for a 280ZX and some other Nissan vehicles

I just did a search for WPN-079 on RA's site and it brought up two listings - first the valeo and second an application of 81 Datsun 810 and 82-83 Maxima only - look at the second listing, not the first one. Manufacturer listed is AISIN.  Part numbers listed match the box that is pictured about page 3 (I think by Dreco) in this thread - a confirmed correct pump. I only bought one - there are three left.  

I'll let people know what comes, though by then, I doubt there will be any left.

I just did a search for WPN-079 on RA's site and it brought up two listings - first the valeo and second an application of 81 Datsun 810 and 82-83 Maxima only - look at the second listing, not the first one. Manufacturer listed is AISIN.  Part numbers listed match the box that is pictured about page 3 (I think by Dreco) in this thread - a confirmed correct pump. I only bought one - there are three left.  

I'll let people know what comes, though by then, I doubt there will be any left.

I purchased the Aisin WPN-079 and received the gas pump, the model info on the box only lists LD engined Nissans.

I contacted them to ask if they had the correct pump, or if they could measure any remaining pumps to confirm the correct size before I bought another one. The reply was 'no and we don't have a pump for your Nissan'. Strange thing was when asked what car I have I quoted all models, years and LD28 engine separately as printed on the Aisin box :icon53:

I purchased the Aisin WPN-079 and received the gas pump, the model info on the box only lists LD engined Nissans.

I contacted them to ask if they had the correct pump, or if they could measure any remaining pumps to confirm the correct size before I bought another one. The reply was 'no and we don't have a pump for your Nissan'. Strange thing was when asked what car I have I quoted all models, years and LD28 engine separately as printed on the Aisin box :icon53:

Some got the right one from them it seems from the activity in the last few weeks.  We'll see if the one I get is right or wrong.  That they wouldn't or couldn't measure means that can't confirm the statement that they don't have the right pump for you.  I mean, how do they know for sure if they didn't look at or measure them?

I contacted Rockauto yesterday and sent photos of what should be the correct size diameter wheel as opposed to what I received and hope to send it back and try with another one. Hopefully second time is the charm.

Here are a few pics showing the under sized unit I received.

post-736-0-79667100-1382672801_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-84527600-1382672817_thumb.jpg

Same as mine Nelsonian. Perhaps it's just luck of the draw? They do look very similar to the un trained eye, I was just disappointed they wouldn't try to sort through the mistake a little better. Glad to hear your finding them easier to deal with, hope It works out in the end.

I managed to find a member who was happy to exchange his LD pump for my JDM 260Z tail lights :icon7:

Not having the best of luck with this at all. I contacted RA on Wed via phone, then last night sent detailed pictures showing the visual difference and here is the response I received this morning.

"Dear Chris Nelson,

Thank you for your email. From your photos, it appears you received the pump you ordered, The part number on the manufacturer's box is correct and the pump body matches the image of the WPN079 we offer in our catalog. Looking at the pump, there isn't sufficient room to install a larger impeller, as it would bind against the inside of the pump body.

If the pump won't work for you, you may return it for a refund."

I am going to call one last time and mention a few members who also received the wrong pump. I will then take a chance with swapping this one for another with fingers crossed. I was told they would not measure the pump similar to what they told you Gareth J.

Keep in mind that Rock Auto is just a middle man.  While I agree it is their problem to use quality suppliers, ultimately Aisin is responsible for incorrectly labling and not remanufacturing the part correctly.

The fault is with Aisin quality control for incorrectly marking the part.  Rock Auto is only at fault for buying parts from a company that mislables them.  I think it is reasonable for Rock Auto to offer a refund to you and then contact Aisin about the quality issue.

Welcome to the age of internet buying vs. your local counterman.

I would also bet the part they inspected, looked at photos?, had the correct impeller.  Oh, the irony of it!

Edited by ctc

One more call made and the wrong size pump is on it's way back to RA. I rolled the dice and ordered their last one in stock and hope to see if the correct sized pump will come. Their service representatives were very easy to deal with and listened to everything I had to say in regards to the different sized pumps, so I'm pleased for that. Will see what comes in the next week.