HybridZ

LD28 Water Pumps

johnc

FYI... a big diesel supply house just sent me two gasoline L6 water pumps in sealed Nissan boxes with the LD28 part number on it (21010-17SY7). The owner of the supply house pooped his pants when I sent him a picture confirming the problem. He's talking with Nissan USA to find out what's up.

Gas, Diesel, what's the difference?

(In some cubicle somewhere there is an MBA going "see! see! I TOLD you we wouldn't get any pushback on this. Give the guy some diesel pumps and hope he keeps his mouth shut!")

I have yet to actually find a LD28 water pump for sale new anywhere. And I actually owned the Maxima that I needed one for. If you can find real LD28 water pumps please pm me the details after you get what you need. I kick myself for tossing a bunch of them in the recycling. I hate it when I do that.

Ray

If he wants to let them go cheap since they're the wrong part I wouldn't mind having a spare... :mrgreen:

edit - oops I think I read that backwards. Never mind...

:oops:

You don't want to buy my regular gas L6 water pump for $175? :-)

Well... it looks like my last source (JESCO) for the LD28 water pump has dried up. They are selling the gasoline water pump to the diesel guys for $175 each! Nice margin.

Maybe its time to machine a few impellers...

John, RE: Impellers

If you get the sourcing worked out, perhaps buying 'bearing and seal cartridges' from the same source as the bulk reman shops do is a good plan for an 'upgrade kit'...

Basically make the impeller a shrink-on item, and people can take their old bearing housings, drop out the old impeller/bearing/seal package and refit the new items. This is the direction JeffP and I were going. Plenty of gas engine cores out there, but you want a new bearing and seal package to go with that new impeller.

If it's cast or even steel, a powder coat, or Techline heavy coat of abradable paint would work well to seal up impeller to casing tolerances as well... I think grooving the tips of the impellers and fitting a teflon wiper is going a bit far...

That is the downfall of leaving the last company---they had a CMM and Five-Axis capabilities in-house. And PLENTY of apprentices that needed to do programming and setup. All I would have to pay for is the stock. Damn MBA's and their 'no touch parts operation' visions (that fail miserably...) :angry:

Keep in mind E-Pumps are constant flow for the most part. Unless you have one of the fancy models from Europe that has variable flow / variable speed. The question becomes "at which load point is the flow correct" with an E-Pump. How do you compensate for overcapacity (if it exists) at idle, if sized for maximum load. What happens if flow is lower than expected at full load? :(

Edited by Tony D

Davies-Craig is the only speed-controlled electric water pump that I know of in the aftermarket tuner realm. I may be wrong, but they seem to have a good product. Used extensively in Formula Ford from what I understand. Think they have a pump controller based on water temperature.

• 5 months later...

Anyone have pictures of the two water pumps?

Like JohnC said, my local dealer says they have the LD28 pump in stock. I would like to have a visual reference so when I have to return it there isn't much left to question.

Joe - we have to check your parts box this weekend. I didn't even think to open it yesterday when I wrote down the part number.

The LD28 pump impeller is far from not being cost-effective.

Do it the same way everyone else does; cut it from a casting. Cast, wheelabrade, collet chuck, face, turn, bore, done.

Total manufacture time can be less than 20 minutes from a hot melt. The problem is getting someone to stop the more lucrative work they are already doing, to setup to do your smaller, faster job.

With setup and programming fees, new cartridges, cores, core cleanup, etc. its not cost effective - at least here in SoCal. I've researched it and given that the total sales will be 50 units over 5 years (if I'm really lucky), it just doesn't' work out. Secondly, tying my money up in 50 parts for years doesn't make business sense.

• Like 1