HybridZ

240Z L24 Crane cam wiped lobe... decision?

ezzzzzzz

Well, I decided to adjust my lifters today because the valvetrain was starting to get louder and power was off by the seat of my pants. I got to #4 exhaust and bumped it to put the lobe base on the rocker. As I looked closely I realized that the backside of the lobe was heavily wiped. It is/was a Crane cam with 272 lift. It sucks because I only needed the car running until after ZCON2011.

I now have to make a decision. I can swap the hotter L28 out of my 280Z track car because it isn't street legal or being driven right now or I can swap out the worn camshaft with either a 'A' or 'B' cam I have in the garage or pull the camshaft out of the 280Z (specs unknown). If I choose the easier path of a simple cam swap which cam would you go with.

After ZCON2011 I will be parking the 240Z for a teardown and restore. It will be receiving my new SC'd L28 stroker and WC T5 so whatever I do is just to get me through this July.

Just today I shipped an A grind Japan cam to Isky for an L490 regrind on my new F54/N42 buildup.

The motor I pulled from my 240 was an L24/E88 with some kind of aftermarket cam. Has CWC stamped on it.

The car also had .030 tower shims and heavier springs with aftermarket valves.

I am staling the shims and springs for my N42.

Leaving the good valves, this relatively unknown but decent shape cam and whatever else is left from that E88 cranium I suppose.

Its all surplus to my needs, if you can use any of it please let me know.

Tj

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed a Delta 270-2 regrind. I set it straight up using number two on the Nismo cam gear. New rockers were placed and lash set at .0080 intake and .010 exhaust cold. The #4 exhaust was also checked to see if there was any valve stem stretch or a pounded seat since that was the wiped lobe of the Crane cam. Manually rotating the assembly was met with no resistance such as valves colliding with pistons. The wipe pattern looks good using .165 mic'd lash pads. The far left is the #4 exhaust but I smeared the top wipe pattern with my finger tip. Once I break the cam in I'll reset the lash at .0060 and .0080. If it feels poor at either end I'll just make a gear change to advance or retard. This goes against the tried and true methods of using a degree wheel and dial indicator but I'm not focused on every hp I can milk, out of this 2.4L.

post-881-070455000 1309268946_thumb.jpg

Edited by ezzzzzzz